• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
X570/B550 are perfect for Zen3
Another bullet point is possible increase in optimal memory speed. Current sweet spot is DDR4 3600-3800, but if Renoir is any indication this could move to 4000-4400.

Of course coming from Zen2 it will be smallest improvement. But for all others it should be very noticeable.
Aye, my plan was to use a 3700X as a place holder for Zen 3 and then get the CPU I really want, an R9. Would have gotten a 3900X last year but lack of supply and having already paid OCUK for an entire build and waiting 3 weeks with nothing to show for, I opted to go lower and wait it out. I expect my Aorus Master board to handle anything I throw at it.

Associate
There is not a chance in hell that a Ryzen 3 16 core will hit 5Ghz. My 3950X hits 4.65Ghz on single core, i don't think for one min that a 4950X is going much more than 200Mhz faster...............maybe not even that much.

From the other's replies, already you know this is completely wrong. The highest core count SKU will have the highest single core boost.

16 cores was 4.7ghz
12 cores was 4.6
8 cores got 4.5

So 5Ghz is adding 300mhz to the top 'only' for 4000 series. I expected 200mhz increase, but after seeing the 4.9ghz engineering sample (debate on whether this was 12 or 16c) already I am pretty sure they will do what is necessary to get that 5Ghz magic number breakthrough.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Moving into a single 8-core CCX design will certainly allow more granular reduction in core counts, but to be honest TSMC's yields are allegedly so good I don't actually see the point, unless it's a move to up core counts across the range.

Ryzen 5: 8 cores
Ryzen 7: 10 cores
Ryzen 9: 12 and 16 cores
, maybe even 14 too.

The trick with that is the Ryzen 5 requires a fully-working chiplet, but it doesn't have to be the best clocker. Or you could do 4+4 for a non-X and 8+0 for the X, the latter benefitting from having no cross-CCD latency, but then you run the risk of the Ryzen 5X actually outperforming the Ryzen 7 because that will have a latency penalty the 5X doesn't have.

This actually seems like a great idea imo. The Ryzen 5's being 8 core, all on a single die would be amazing bang for buck. Then you have the Ryzen 7's that compete exactly with the Intel i9's that have 10 cores as their highest core counts.

Then you just have the 2 Ryzen 9's (12 and 16 core) that just blow everything else out the water.

You can then just leave the 6 core parts for Ryzen 3's and below

Associate
Rise..en ;)

"The sun'll come out
Tomorrow
So ya gotta hang on
'Til tomorrow
Come what may
Tomorrow, tomorrow!
I love ya tomorrow!
You're always
A day
Away!"

— Frank Azor (@AzorFrank) September 9, 2020
Gotta be Ryzen, sun rising.
But it'll be something useless, like unveiling the date of unveiling Zen3
AMD marketing never fails to fail

Associate
Haha cant argue with this! But they have been uncharacteristically quiet about their new products this year.....

Last edited:
Caporegime

Yeah. Just to point out what most of you have probably also spotted...

"The sun'll come out
Tomorrow
So ya gotta hang on
'Til tomorrow
Come what may
Tomorrow, tomorrow!
I love ya tomorrow!
You're always
A day
Away
!"

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah. Just to point out most of you have probably also spotted...

"The sun'll come out
Tomorrow
So ya gotta hang on
'Til tomorrow
Come what may
Tomorrow, tomorrow!
I love ya tomorrow!
You're always
A day
Away
!"
Actually very helpful as I worked it out but it wasnt immediately obvious. Thkugh they could have come up with something better..... lmao

Caporegime
Actually very helpful as I worked it out but it wasnt immediately obvious. Thkugh they could have come up with something better..... lmao

Pfft I know, expecting a bit of cultural knowledge and basic common sense from their consumers... terrible! If they had just stuck to saying: "We have an announcement tomorrow" then it wouldn't have caused such mind-bending confusion. Next time AMD, next time... :D

Associate
Pfft I know, expecting a bit of cultural knowledge and basic common sense from their consumers... terrible! If they had just stuck to saying: "We have an announcement tomorrow" then it wouldn't have caused such mind-bending confusion. Next time AMD, next time... :D
I don't mind riddles and a bit of fun! But Annie... come on!!

Soldato
Don't you know that Annie premiered in Italy on 10th Septmber 1982, exactly 38 years ago tomorrow, it therefore falls in line that AMD are clearly announcing the new CPU's due to how much they like using famous Italians or Italian cities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom