• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Caporegime
People thinking they will have more "luck" getting one from OCUK or Nvidia direct?

Depends on how fast you are and nobody really knows stocks. I have seen Nvidia and OCUK sell out within minutes with previous launches.

Nvidia might have enough FE to supply the entire world demand. WHo knows.

If it ends up being the same time for orders opened I will just have 2 screens open. I know which not bad looking AIB board I will settle on if the FE sell out.

Whichever transaction goes through first gets my money.

Associate
Crikey, that’s dedication to your cause. I suppose if it really matters then choose the ugliest and most expensive one to get a chance of not selling out.

Given the 2080ti MHz was mostly limited by power, are details out there to suggest which will have the most power available for boost clock speeds?

Associate
Depends on how fast you are and nobody really knows stocks. I have seen Nvidia and OCUK sell out within minutes with previous launches.

If it ends up being the same time for orders opened I will just have 2 screens open. I know which not bad looking AIB board I will settle on if the FE sell out.

Yeah I think we will know more on stock levels closer to the time from OCUK. Looking more at the FE verison I must admit does look very smart the more im seeing of it. Im trying to stay clear of RGB!

Caporegime
Crikey, that’s dedication to your cause. I suppose if it really matters then choose the ugliest and most expensive one to get a chance of not selling out.

Given the 2080ti MHz was mostly limited by power, are details out there to suggest which will have the most power available for boost clock speeds?

Was it? Its seemed that it really came down to cooling and a silicon lottery as to what maximum boost you got? I saw FE cards which higher overclocks than the top of range Asus and HOF cards with super duper power chokes and multi 8 pin sockets. Extra power connectors certainly didnt gaurantee any extra performance from the 2080ti.

My 2080ti are just the el cheapo standard cards, one of the cheapest you could buy - Inno3d but run at 2100 boost and still hold the top spot on the ocuk forums firestrike https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/33351220?

If its one thing that the 2080ti taught me is that custom expensive AIB baords were a total waste of time (unless they offered other reasons than performance for having one)

I think it was only cards like the KIngpin with cherry picked gpus which delivered the goods but so it should since it cost a kidney (£1750 versus the £1175 the Inno3d cost each)

Last edited:
Soldato
Everyone keeps saying these cards look good. I think they look awful.

The FE cards look really nice. As I get older I find it more and more difficult to focus my eyes properly whilst at work (retouching imagery), however, I take great comfort from the fact that I could go completely blind or even have my eyeballs removed, with a spoon, by a terrorist and still do a better job aesthetically than the nonsense the AIBs put out, there's literally nothing about them that hints they've been done by a design professional, my nan could do a better job in powerpoint (and she's been dead for 10 years).

What I find odd is that no child could afford an £800 card but they've left one to design it.

Soldato
Was it? Its seemed that it really came down to cooling and a silicon lottery as to what maximum boost you got? I saw FE cards which higher overclocks than the top of range Asus and HOF cards with super duper power chokes and multi 8 pin sockets. Extra power connectors certainly didnt gaurantee any extra performance from the 2080ti.

My 2080ti are just the el cheapo standard cards, one of the cheapest you could buy - Inno3d but run at 2100 boost and still hold the top spot on the ocuk forums firestrike https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/33351220?

If its one thing that the 2080ti taught me is that custom expensive AIB baords were a total waste of time (unless they offered other reasons than performance for having one)

I think it was only cards like the KIngpin with cherry picked gpus which delivered the goods but so it should since it cost a kidney (£1750 versus the £1175 the Inno3d cost each)

Yeah my 1080ti FE I got on release day holds 2100Mhz all day long under an AIO cooler. Bit of confusion as to what blocks/AIO brackets will fit these new cards as the 3090 is much bigger than a 3080 physically, but probably another FE card for me.

Caporegime
Yeah my 1080ti FE I got on release day holds 2100Mhz all day long under an AIO cooler. Bit of confusion as to what blocks/AIO brackets will fit these new cards as the 3090 is much bigger than a 3080 physically, but probably another FE card for me.

Only the cooler though. Pretty sure EK lists the same waterblock as been compatible with both 3080 and 3090 standard boards

Soldato
They look 100 times better than the plastic RGB trash the AIB have come up with. Plus with all the previous experience I have had with FE boards, they will be much, much higher quality and using better components than the AIB reference boards are but feel free to spend £150 more on a ugly AIB board. Its your money.

I agree. The FE cards look far cleaner. I hate the look of the AIB cards, covered in rgb, fans and silly coloured jagged bits. They look like a 5 year old designed them on a bit of paper with a pack of crayons :p

Soldato
I agree. The FE cards look far cleaner. I hate the look of the AIB cards, covered in rgb, fans and silly coloured jagged bits. They look like a 5 year old designed them on a bit of paper with a pack of crayons :p

I kind of agree with you they are starting to look like the cheap £29 RGB cases Aerocool used to do covered in plastic and RGB lines going all over them. The ones with the 20cm intake fans. Need to get back to more sleeker lines, smooth and curved more like a porsche or fast car without the bling almost aerodynamic looking.

Permabanned

Same here. Dont care what cooler or look or whatever as its going under water anyway

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
If people are happy for me to do them I will do the threads.:)
You da man when it comes to doing those threads. You got my vote :)

Also, I was thinking of creating an RTX thread where for newcomers like me there are links to all RTX related games, benchmarks, software etc. As far as I know no such thread exists, if there is it probably is the OP is not maintained to the standards you set. If you want to create if I yield that honour to you, if not let me know and I will do it.

Man of Honour
You da man when it comes to doing those threads. You got my vote :)

Also, I was thinking of creating an RTX thread where for newcomers like me there are links to all RTX related games, benchmarks, software etc. As far as I know no such thread exists, if there is it probably is the OP is not maintained to the standards you set. If you want to create if I yield that honour to you, if not let me know and I will do it.

I could do a RTX thread as well. I would start it with plenty of free space in the OPs, if people could then post links that they want I could sort them into some order in the OPs.

Back
Top Bottom