Cost of whole house window and external door replacement

Soldato
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has done similar and wouldn't mind sharing what it cost them, if not maybe it could just be a fun game as I'm getting a quote next week.

House is a 1960's Semi with the following all needing replacement

Downstairs -

Large bay window connected and wrapped around to porch Inc front door

Kitchen external door and one large and one small window

Patio door to dining room

Upstairs -

Large landing window

Bay window in master bedroom

2 X bathroom window one large one small

Boxroom window

Double bedroom window

I'm guessing around £10k but I'm literally pulling that out of my hat I could be way off!

Educated guesses appreciated but if you fancy taking a non educated guess go ahead but please make the type of guess known!

Cheers

Associate
I had all the windows done on my house last year (end terrace) including replacing a french door at the back. So downstairs Frenchdoors, large living room window, hallway window, kictchen window. Then upstairs two large windows, bathroom window, landing window and smaller box office window. I paid just over 3k for downstairs and just over 2k for upstairs I'd probably round it off to 6k. I think that was rehau double glazed windows and an ultion lock for the french doors.

Don't fall for triple glazed I've been told its a waste of money. Only thing I'd do differently is pay the extra for laminated glass in the french doors. This was in the North by the way.

Soldato
We had all of ours done 2 weeks ago, except the patio doors.

2x 5 panel bay windows (upstairs / downstairs)
Large back bedroom window
Box room window
Bathroom window
Separate toilet window
Upvc front door and full length sidelight next to it.

It costs £5850. This was using rehau profile double glazing and ultion lock on the front door.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the responses that really gives me a good idea, I'll be honest its cheaper than I thought but I think mine might be a bit more expensive because the front bay window and porch wrap around the whole front of the house inc the front door and the landing window is huge

I forgot about laminating the patio doors thanks for the reminder, definitely getting Ultion locks and I'm in the north west so hoping the price isnt too much more than that

Soldato
Thanks for the responses that really gives me a good idea, I'll be honest its cheaper than I thought but I think mine might be a bit more expensive because the front bay window and porch wrap around the whole front of the house inc the front door and the landing window is huge

I forgot about laminating the patio doors thanks for the reminder, definitely getting Ultion locks and I'm in the north west so hoping the price isnt too much more than that

From chatting to our fitter, glass is cheap, it's the frames and locks that add cost. Our bays made up a significant part of the cost as every upper window opens and has a lock.

Large side windows / bathroom windows should be reasonable. Doors are bloody expensive though!

Soldato
OP
From chatting to our fitter, glass is cheap, it's the frames and locks that add cost. Our bays made up a significant part of the cost as every upper window opens and has a lock.

Large side windows / bathroom windows should be reasonable. Doors are bloody expensive though!

Just noticed you're in Manchester, so am I. Who did you use?

Yeah its the frame that goes around the front that I'm concerned about, it is huge. Also the mess afterward, I only decorated two years inc papering and I'm dreading having to do it again and I imagine some plastering is going to be required which will be a mess

Soldato
Just noticed you're in Manchester, so am I. Who did you use?

Yeah its the frame that goes around the front that I'm concerned about, it is huge. Also the mess afterward, I only decorated two years inc papering and I'm dreading having to do it again and I imagine some plastering is going to be required which will be a mess

I used a guy called Chris who lives around the corner from us. His company is called PEECO Installations, if you Google it, his Facebook page will be the top link. I can pm you his details if you like? I'm. In North Manchester, I'm pretty sure he covers all of Manchester and beyond.

In terms of the plastering, we did have to do some filling of cracks, mainly around the bays. It's a 1950s house and the plaster is original so it just crumbled in some places.

Obviously a bit late but I would definitely recommend getting the windows before decorating :D.

Soldato
OP
@DanTheMan

Interesting you went with a smaller company for the whole house, did they come recommended to you by someone else?

I've had a look at the facebook page just now so thanks for that, I've used the company coming on Monday before which is The Window Co based on Chester road Stretford and they were by far the cheapest for that job but I do usually get three quotes at least for stuff like this

As for decorating yeah I shot myself in the foot a few times, we bought a do-upper and should have got the windows and doors done as well as some other things right at the start but we just couldn't afford it at the time. Everything inc the carpet is two years old so I'm dreading it being done

The main thing I wish I got done is sound proofing I swear our neighbors are vampires, quiet in the day and ridiculously loud at night

Soldato
were in the middle of getting quotes atm .

so far quotes are

This is for 6 windows.. solid composite door and 2 panel bifold (midlands area )

Soldato
@DanTheMan

Interesting you went with a smaller company for the whole house, did they come recommended to you by someone else?

I've had a look at the facebook page just now so thanks for that, I've used the company coming on Monday before which is The Window Co based on Chester road Stretford and they were by far the cheapest for that job but I do usually get three quotes at least for stuff like this

As for decorating yeah I shot myself in the foot a few times, we bought a do-upper and should have got the windows and doors done as well as some other things right at the start but we just couldn't afford it at the time. Everything inc the carpet is two years old so I'm dreading it being done

The main thing I wish I got done is sound proofing I swear our neighbors are vampires, quiet in the day and ridiculously loud at night

He came recommended from the local Facebook group which is where I get most of my recommendations. Plus, he lives about 2 streets away and has done quite a few houses around here so he's got a reputation to uphold.

At least you've done the decorating. We're starting that process now and it's a pain arranging and coordinating tradesmen.

Slightly off topic but what did you do for sound proofing? Our house transmits so much noise to next door as we're on a hill and we've got raised floors downstairs so a lot of noise transmits through the cavity underneath.

Soldato
OP
He came recommended from the local Facebook group which is where I get most of my recommendations. Plus, he lives about 2 streets away and has done quite a few houses around here so he's got a reputation to uphold.

At least you've done the decorating. We're starting that process now and it's a pain arranging and coordinating tradesmen.

Slightly off topic but what did you do for sound proofing? Our house transmits so much noise to next door as we're on a hill and we've got raised floors downstairs so a lot of noise transmits through the cavity underneath.

Ok thanks, I'll invite him to quote. Tradesmen are my worst nightmare to be honest, no offence to the good ones but getting a good one and risking a bad one is something I hate doing and I've come across a lot of different tradesmen in the last two years with all the work I've had done to my house.

We havent had sound proofing done, thats the thing I wish we did before we decorated. I now its expensive though and risky as to whether or not it will actually do anything

were in the middle of getting quotes atm .

so far quotes are

This is for 6 windows.. solid composite door and 2 panel bifold (midlands area )

Massive difference in quotes there, 13k difference between and highest and lowest!

Soldato
2 large half bay
1 bay
1 Bathroom window
2 kitchen Windows and external composite door
Top of stairs window
2 standard Windows

Think we paid 4.8k for all that was the cheapest quote by fast but turned out it's because they actually make the frames themselves. All top quality stuff work done in 2 days.

Soldato
Ok thanks, I'll invite him to quote. Tradesmen are my worst nightmare to be honest, no offence to the good ones but getting a good one and risking a bad one is something I hate doing and I've come across a lot of different tradesmen in the last two years with all the work I've had done to my house.

We havent had sound proofing done, thats the thing I wish we did before we decorated. I now its expensive though and risky as to whether or not it will actually do anything

Massive difference in quotes there, 13k difference between and highest and lowest!

Anglain was 19k .. they quickly reduced it to 13k but it was the bifold that was costing the money.. they were quoting 5k labour lol . withought the bifold they were 6.5k for windows and front door

Soldato
OP
2 large half bay
1 bay
1 Bathroom window
2 kitchen Windows and external composite door
Top of stairs window
2 standard Windows

Think we paid 4.8k for all that was the cheapest quote by fast but turned out it's because they actually make the frames themselves. All top quality stuff work done in 2 days.

Sounds good, where are you based, dont suppose its Manchester by any chance!?

Soldato
If it's of any help we paid £4k for the following windows two years ago:

2 x bay windows
1 x dining room window
1 x bedroom window
1 x bathroom window w/ obscured glass
1 x double width window in the kitchen

Soldato
OP
If it's of any help we paid £4k for the following windows two years ago:

2 x bay windows
1 x dining room window
1 x bedroom window
1 x bathroom window w/ obscured glass
1 x double width window in the kitchen

It does thanks, I'm getting the impression I way over estimated the cost of getting this done which is great but also slightly annoying because I could have possibly got it done two years ago before I decorated!

Soldato
@robj20

Just rang these, what did you think them about them, the installers and the salesman etc was it a good experience, did you have any gripes etc?
They were great. Guy that came to do the quote didn't try to add things that weren't needed. Instantly knew which windows would need to be toughened.
Then say down and picked all the options.

Fitters were great lads even had a look at our front door as it wasn't shutting well, they adjusted it for free.
I actually want happy about 1 of the windows as you could see a couple of the desiccant balls. They said no problem someone will change it out, and they did the next day.
They have been in business a long time and well regarded round here. A lot of the other fitters round here actually order their frames from them, so your getting the same thing at the end of the day.
They worked fast and you wouldn't know they'd been after, spotless.
I had a few special requests which the quote guy wrote down and the fitters did it all without me needing to remind them.
I wanted some Windows left unsealed inside.

If I ever need any more doors or windows I'll just be phoning them straight up.

Back
Top Bottom