Crusader Kings 3 - Paradox Interactive

Caporegime
Anybody else really struggling to quickly see alliances and also look after their realm? I get confused when people within my realm start having wars with eachother and there isn't anything I can do.
I'm struggling to see a map mode that shows your war targets territories, I have to open the surrender/demand terms screen then zoom out to see where they are on the map.

there's no made mode that shows friendly/hostile either? I thought there were way more map options in ck2?

I find the whole map kinda confusing tbh I think there's a mod so it's only the flat version of it.

your vassels fighting each other is normal btw, you can outlaw it at some point probably like in ck2

sometimes you can talk to them and tell them to surrender/end the war.

BTW, is there no option to attach to an allies army? and what about creating your own mercenary group like in ck2?

Soldato
I just look for the fiery flag symbol on the map and aim to take that to get, you will find enemy armies nearby if they arent attacking you or allies.

Soldato
OP
^^^ Under Realm, the row of crown icons at the top.

If Ireland is tanist then the kingdom title will always be given to an elected member of your dynasty. However, if all your other titles are in Partition then they will be distributed among your heirs. This includes all your duchy-level titles - all you will keep is your personal county plus the kingship. So you will want to change at least your best duchy and possibly one other to Tanistry as well; this costs 1500 Prestige each, so it will need some effort.

But that still doesn't mean your primary heir will get it all. He also has to win the elections. At duchy level this is typically quite easy, as there usually isn't more than one or two other electors and if you can gain control of the counties you'll pretty much be able to dictate who the heir is. At kingdom level it's trickier because your direct vassals and all the dukes get to vote, along with the head of the dynasty. Ideally you always want to be playing as the dynasty head - this gives you at least 5 vote strength with your kingdom and duchy, and your heir will also vote for himself if he holds land. For that reason it's a good idea when you get old to grant at least one duchy to your desired heir and preferably both of them. Then, if the kingdom election doesn't go the way you want, your next ruler can select the same heir and that heir will probably be his most powerful vassal.

One last important thing to note is that the head of the dynasty title doesn't follow your kingdom title. If your heir is not also the dynastic heir, and you can't murder people until he is, then it may be worth starting a cadet branch.

Using default confederate partition at least the heir always seems to get the top tier titles, so kingdom/duchy/real capital county. If tanist this seems a bit more up in the air, although as tanist if you can control the voting, do you get all of the counties in the duchy as well?

Of course can't stop the AI factions to install someone else on the throne, and they seem to take the decision to go tanist on the kingdom title if they hold it.

Soldato
Using default confederate partition at least the heir always seems to get the top tier titles, so kingdom/duchy/real capital county. If tanist this seems a bit more up in the air, although as tanist if you can control the voting, do you get all of the counties in the duchy as well?

No, but you do have de jure claims on them. The two reasons for going tanist are that it lets you control more than one duchy - partition will always leave you with only one unless there's nobody else to inherit - and because it prevents the title leaving your dynasty through succession as long as any member is still alive.

Associate
anyone know how you raise only your men at arms ? just to take care of small raids etc. For now I have to raise all the army, split the men at arms and disband the rest

Associate
Played plenty of EU4, but never touched CK2. Decided to get CK3, but this is the most messy and complicated game I've played, so need a few tips.

When wars are happening, is there any distinction between enemy, ally and neutral troops? The flags are very hard to distinguish between and not being familiar with them doesn't help. Would be nice if there was some colour coding around to help with that, as its hard when there's vassal wars amongst your war and people capturing holdings all over the place and you don't know whos fighting whom. I have to keep pausing and hovering over each troop to see the neutral, enemy or ally tag.

What's the best way to manage succession? I've tried a few YouTube videos but not having much success. I've started in the 800 game era with the Duke of York and I want to capture and form the Kingdom of England, but every time I get close, I die and everything I've built up gets shattered and I have to start again. How would this normally be managed? I'm guessing that in the ideal world I would be the holder of the Kingdom of England title and one Duchy which I've developed enough to fund my armies and then I'd vassal each of the other duchies out to various people to manage on my behalf. Does this become easier to manage once you get through to the Kingdom title? (and then subsequent rinse and repeat for Empires) At present I can't see how I can expand beyond a couple of Duchys if this level of shattering occurs on every death, spend half the next guys life trying to recover my territory.

I'm also after a good recommendation of a game to ease me into successions and empire building, once I've done the Ireland one? Anyone particularly stand out as beneficial for this?

Associate
Played plenty of EU4, but never touched CK2. Decided to get CK3, but this is the most messy and complicated game I've played, so need a few tips.

When wars are happening, is there any distinction between enemy, ally and neutral troops? The flags are very hard to distinguish between and not being familiar with them doesn't help. Would be nice if there was some colour coding around to help with that,

Red are enemy grey neutral and blue ally

Soldato
^^^ And orange are hostile, which means you will fight them if you encounter them but they're not a direct participant in your war.

anyone know how you raise only your men at arms ? just to take care of small raids etc. For now I have to raise all the army, split the men at arms and disband the rest

If you raise your armies while paused and immediately move them with CTRL-click, your levies will stop raising.

Soldato
Im sorely tempted as well.. But I still play EUIV and HOIIV regularly and not even sure I'll have time for this.

Wait until you do have time, thoes two are very big sink holes on time. Come back to CK3 later on, might have a few patches and dlc by the time your ready for it. Love the game btw its all im playing, having touched anything else since release.

Man of Honour
Wait until you do have time, thoes two are very big sink holes on time. Come back to CK3 later on, might have a few patches and dlc by the time your ready for it. Love the game btw its all im playing, having touched anything else since release.

I was thinking that myself. I was late to the party with EUIV but it worked out better for me as I got the patches and DLC at one time. The cost factor is quite a consideration however.

Soldato
I was thinking that myself. I was late to the party with EUIV but it worked out better for me as I got the patches and DLC at one time. The cost factor is quite a consideration however.

You can try it on Game pass, use a free trial or you can get 2 weeks for "free" through Lego VIP membership by spending 250 VIP points. If you aren't already a member you get 200 for joining and I think you can do a survey that will give you 60 points.

Soldato
What's the point of getting hooks on people? Yet to see any real use for them.

Only playing post tutorial (which is s brilliant must for newer players) and must admit I'm just spamming claims and attacking with no real issues.

I replaced an advisor and the unhappy guy I gave him a title but then it said his county was a republic under me? Then he was even more irritated as he had more power but no council seat :p

Soldato
OP
What's the point of getting hooks on people? Yet to see any real use for them.

Only playing post tutorial (which is s brilliant must for newer players) and must admit I'm just spamming claims and attacking with no real issues.

I replaced an advisor and the unhappy guy I gave him a title but then it said his county was a republic under me? Then he was even more irritated as he had more power but no council seat :p

You can use hooks (or indeed have them used against you) to influence things.

For example a strong hook can prevent someone from plotting against you or joining factions against you.

Hooks can be used to increase the chance of success on some things like imprisonment.

You can use them to rope someone into helping you assassinate someone.

You can use them to change feudal contracts (increase levies or taxes).

They actually seem really useful, but maybe more so when you have more vassals and things to manage.

Soldato
In a nutshell, hooks help you achieve practically anything from marrying a child to revoking a title. A weak hook counts as an opinion bonus that makes it more likely that the person will go along with your plans - and you have one to use on every member of your own house if you're the head - but a strong hook is basically an obligation that cannot be refused.

And yes, if you have an unlanded courtier as an advisor then you should not care about their opinion when you fire them unless they were your Spymaster. If you land them as compensation then yes, they now count as a Powerful Vassal and will believe that giving them a council seat is justified.

Republics are created when you give the holder of a city a county-level title. They're usually pretty good for money. Bishoprics are less good for money as they tithe to the faith and won't pay you if the holder doesn't like you. Your Counts will give some money and you keep some of the levies for the county as well, but they are more able to wage war against you.

Soldato
Still hooked on this game, i havent touched another game since. Suprised myself with how much gaming time i have actually as i have clocked up almost 27hours since release (16 days).

Soldato
You can use hooks (or indeed have them used against you) to influence things.

For example a strong hook can prevent someone from plotting against you or joining factions against you.

Hooks can be used to increase the chance of success on some things like imprisonment.

You can use them to rope someone into helping you assassinate someone.

You can use them to change feudal contracts (increase levies or taxes).

They actually seem really useful, but maybe more so when you have more vassals and things to manage.

One of the early lifestyles perks lets you blackmail them and demand payment. Can get 100+ gold for a weak hook.

Back
Top Bottom