Carpet costs and fitting costs

Associate
I went with a local supplier recently (waiting on the install due to COVID so cant say about the quality of fitting yet) however they came round, priced the full house from the stairs on to the middle floor, another set of stairs in to the attic, the attic and also two small cupboard as well. Went with a thick carpet, underlay, grippers and it cost me £1k in total. based in wales though so i would have expected a higher price if i lived in london for example ha

kai

kai

Soldato
I went with a local supplier recently (waiting on the install due to COVID so cant say about the quality of fitting yet) however they came round, priced the full house from the stairs on to the middle floor, another set of stairs in to the attic, the attic and also two small cupboard as well. Went with a thick carpet, underlay, grippers and it cost me £1k in total. based in wales though so i would have expected a higher price if i lived in london for example ha

Do you mind sending me a message of the supplier? I am near Swansea (Neath area) and we are looking for a local supplier to handle the stairs and landing.

Caporegime
anyone ever tried fitting one without training?
it can't be that hard surely? are the tools just so expensive it's better to pay someone else?

btw I'd avoid local suppliers last time I used one the fitters were 2 guys about 22years old proper chavs...

they seemed to do a good job but over time the carpet started to come away from the door bars and walls :S

Permabanned
anyone ever tried fitting one without training?
it can't be that hard surely? are the tools just so expensive it's better to pay someone else?

btw I'd avoid local suppliers last time I used one the fitters were 2 guys about 22years old proper chavs...

they seemed to do a good job but over time the carpet started to come away from the door bars and walls :S
Yes I did, it’s not hard I just followed a YouTube video, this one I think and brought myself a carpet kicker already have a Stanley knife and I used a bolster to tuck the carpet behind the gripper and under the skirting.

I’d say if your competent at diy and your room is a basic box shape you should have no issues really.

Associate
Permabanned
We're thinking about having this same carpet in our bedroom - how has the carpet held up? Is there much flattening that's happened at all?
Carpet is still as soft as the day we put it in. We don’t wear shoes in our bedroom and it’s not a high traffic area so I expect it to last many years.

390-EBC89-0781-4-DEF-88-F4-243-F330-ABD62.jpg

78-DD20-AC-0356-4-BDF-997-C-8329-C93-B5-C7-C.jpg

Associate
Had a carpet fitted a week or so ago.
Room is 12ft x 13 ft, think carpet they cut was 4m x 4.1m so there was enough over hang, and it was cut off a bigger roll.
Carpet was £150, underlay was around £72 and fitting was £80, came to £302 all in, I had already cleaned the room out and already had gripper rods.

Associate
Carpet is still as soft as the day we put it in. We don’t wear shoes in our bedroom and it’s not a high traffic area so I expect it to last many years.
*snip*

Thanks for the pictures pal :) looking good, we don't wear shoes inside either. Is that Pebble? I think we're going for Sahara.

Soldato
how much cost is associated with grippers? We broke a load of ours getting the floorboards up to put in the insulation. Still have the bits but thought it would make sense to get new grippers and door bars. Is that a bad idea? Like the suggestion re underlay ourselves. I'll look into that!

Also what carpet did people go for, as in synthetic or wool etc. My wife wants to go with synthetic to avoid moths (she lived in a rental with a really bad problem once) but I'm worried it won't be as nice. We sent off for samples but just got coaster sized squares that aren't much use to try standing on - you can't even get one foot on them nevermind two.

Soldato
Just order new grippers and underlay from trade priced. Replacing your grippers is cheap and easy.

One thing with some very thick underlay is that it does increase chance of carpet coming away from the grippers due to the increased height. I think there might be longer grippers to account for this though.

Soldato
Anybody have a carpet laid over uneven floorboards?

I have a few boards that are about 2mm lower than others leaving a slight step, one area is about 5mm at the worst point.

ive ordered the carpet and 10mm underlay ( looks like chopped up foam glued back together?)

Do I need to pack up/smooth the floor out in those places or will the underlay hide it?

if I need to level it what is the cheapest way? New boards or feathering compound? Over boarding is too expensive

Soldato
we have an old fireplace hearth under the floor and we never noticed it until recently when we lifted the carpet and loose laid it again while we decorate without the same amount of underlay. my gut feel is for a low traffic area a thick underlay will deal with it. For a heavy traffic area 10mm might still be enough. Smoothing it with a thin plank of something is also an option if you're really worried. You can get thin wood ply precut to suit. Not cheapest, but you will be able to drop it in and that's that. But I would try just the underlay first and see what you think.

Soldato
Anyone tried doing the cutting and fitting themselves? We're getting quoted silly prices. Granted well get them to do the stairs etc but for square/rectangular rooms one at a time it just seems crazy to pay £150 for fitting.

Associate
Anyone tried doing the cutting and fitting themselves? We're getting quoted silly prices. Granted well get them to do the stairs etc but for square/rectangular rooms one at a time it just seems crazy to pay £150 for fitting.

£150 to fit a single room is a ripoff.

Associate
Room is 4x4m

Wool Berber carpet £220 delivered
Tredaire Dreamwalk 11mm £60 delivered
Fitting inc. grippers £65

Total = £345

found the fitter of a rate builder website, he fits for John Lewis in the day and does evening and weekend jobs solo

FD9-D6-A9-D-B17-F-43-F0-913-B-D6-C56025-A118.jpg

Soldato
Anybody have a carpet laid over uneven floorboards?

I have a few boards that are about 2mm lower than others leaving a slight step, one area is about 5mm at the worst point.

ive ordered the carpet and 10mm underlay ( looks like chopped up foam glued back together?)

Do I need to pack up/smooth the floor out in those places or will the underlay hide it?

if I need to level it what is the cheapest way? New boards or feathering compound? Over boarding is too expensive

underlay will mask small imperfections, i doubt you'd notice 2mm under underlay and carpet

if you want to correct it, lift the board, fit packers underneath and screw back down with proper flooring screws.

Back
Top Bottom