Porsche Taycan 4S: Driven

Soldato
That is my point the badge is meaningless, hence past tense 'was' in my original statement. Pretty obvious if you read it as written.

It's not meaningless, it's denoting the model.

I can't understand how people don't realize that they keep the Turbo moniker at the top as a continuity thing. Having been in a couple of Model S, as well as watching a number of reviews on EV's, I think it would be fair to say that Tesla only wow the car people who aren't interested in/understand the engineering and just like the upfront figures. The Taycan won't have knocking suspension (rear on a number of Model S which is 'normal') or IMO a meh interior for the price. Plus, it'll drive like a Porsche.
Couldn't agree more. Having spent some time in both cars, the Taycan has Tesla licked for driving experience, build quality and overall look and feel. Porsche still need to catch up with Tesla for autonomous driving though.

Soldato
Porsche still need to catch up with Tesla for autonomous driving though.

I don't know if it's just me being me, but apart from the additional safety features that systems like this can give, I really don't want or need my car to control itself whilst I'm driving it. I guess there's a lot who do though.

Soldato
I think that does a disservice to tesla engineering, beyond its autonomous prowess,
they're not trying to create a sports car, they could have bought in additional suspension expertise had they wanted to,
the battery management, motor, chassis(aluminium pressing) are class leading - the integration on the circuit boards in the tear downs impressive,
I don't know if they have done this for the Taycan yet.

across the segment , the upcoming green number plate, will soon make them distinctive.
distinctive Taycan town sound, too, yes it won't resonate in a tunnel NEW! Taycan Turbo S - Amazing Future SOUND marmite ?

Caporegime
I don't know if it's just me being me, but apart from the additional safety features that systems like this can give, I really don't want or need my car to control itself whilst I'm driving it. I guess there's a lot who do though.

Its useful in the USA where freeway driving is needed to get places we take for granted here. When I drove some big ass suv I liked things like lame assist etc..

Does the taycan really weight 2200kg?

Associate
That is a beautiful looking car. Porsche have also knocked it out of the park when it comes to the interiors as well. Smart, stylish and just the right number of buttons and screen. (Take note Tesla!).

Ta for the review.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
OP
Excluding the stalks behind the steering wheel and the buttons on the wheel itself (inc the powered wheel adjustment controls), there are 12 buttons in the Taycan - Power on/off, hazards, park, drive select (hidden from view but a typical modern Porsche "electric shaver" looking thing) and then the 8 fixed buttons that surround the screen which control the sidelights, auto headlights, front and rear fogs, PSM, PASM, the ride height adjustment and then the custom function button.

That's more than the Tesla but not by a huge margin because at least some of those functions are on stalks in the Tesla S

Soldato
Excluding the stalks behind the steering wheel and the buttons on the wheel itself (inc the powered wheel adjustment controls), there are 12 buttons in the Taycan - Power on/off, hazards, park, drive select (hidden from view but a typical modern Porsche "electric shaver" looking thing) and then the 8 fixed buttons that surround the screen which control the sidelights, auto headlights, front and rear fogs, PSM, PASM, the ride height adjustment and then the custom function button.
I've looked at a few pictures and I can't see any of these buttons that surround the screen. Are they super smooth nearing invisible or something?

EDIT.... ah, on the main driver's binacle area? They just look like lights.

Soldato
This was always my take on Tesla. I was just waiting for Ze Germans to watch closely what Tesla were doing, then do it better, and that's exactly what they've done with the Taycan.

First of all - the dealership experience. Even in this Covid-19 world, things were very good. I know they are trying to sell cars but in the lead-up to today everything has been like clockwork, calls responded to on time, commitments met etc etc. They seem really committed to selling these cars and want them to do well. Everything up to this point has represented their brand and car extremely well. BMW, Mercedes and Tesla would do well to pay attention to this.
I can't however, agree with this. Whilst this may be true of a lot of OPC dealers, it is also true of a lot of dealers in general, but the local OPC to me is the complete opposite. An absolute dive of an experience, run by steroid pumped gym rats who drive Golf GTis. You would buy a Porsche from Lidl before you stepped inside my local OPC. Around here, OPC would do well to pay attention to the Skoda garage experience.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
OP
This was always my take on Tesla. I was just waiting for Ze Germans to watch closely what Tesla were doing, then do it better, and that's exactly what they've done with the Taycan.

I can't however, agree with this. Whilst this may be true of a lot of OPC dealers, it is also true of a lot of dealers in general, but the local OPC to me is the complete opposite. An absolute dive of an experience, run by steroid pumped gym rats who drive Golf GTis. You would buy a Porsche from Lidl before you stepped inside my local OPC. Around here, OPC would do well to pay attention to the Skoda garage experience.

I've bought from many a dealer over the years and this has been head and shoulders above any of them. Night and day different. Which is your local OPC?

I've looked at a few pictures and I can't see any of these buttons that surround the screen. Are they super smooth nearing invisible or something?

EDIT.... ah, on the main driver's binacle area? They just look like lights.

They are completely flush with the glass of the screen but are not themselves part of the screen - the screen stops a fair way inboard of them.

Back
Top Bottom