A long list of requirements that just come to a Superb conclusion?

Soldato
I think i'm basically looking to buy a Superb, because my lord do you get a lot for your money, but as is the wisdom of crowds and the internet to tell me i'm an idiot, or have high/low expectations, or i'm too poor. I thought i'd check i've not missed anything off, or outside ideas, or who knows what.

I think I have my requirements, which gives you an idea:

1) Fastback/Liftback, (no estates just yet, but want the space ocasionally)
2) Towbar (fitted or easily fitted later, to only use for a bike rack - no caravans yet :p)
3) 2014 or newer (about 6 years old ish but this is flexible, i do plan to keep what i get for a good few years and put on a good few miles myself, changing cars is a faff i like to keep to a minimum)
4) All/most of the usual toys/high spec. Ie. tri zone climate, heated seats/wheel, sat nav, camera, adaptive cruise, umbrella in the door ( :D) surprise me.
5) Ideally 0-60 sub 8 (flexible on this) so probably ~200bhp+, I always want fast(er) cars, and they're fun but realistically it's probably **** waving, and i'm getting old enough now to realise that :D
6) Probably a ~2l displacement, to keep mpg half sensible, I do a minimum of 8k a year, but have doubled that depending on work meetings, so its not a major concern, but lets try and be sensible.
7) petrol > diesel (but certainly not averse)
8) V6 does tempt me to ignore (6) and my thoughts in (5), and I have got a few 3l v6 on my mind
9) Budget ideally ~ £10-15k tops includes me budgetting repair, service, and whatever in the first year to make sure i know its "ok" fix the thing that were ignored. Everytime i search i've put in £12k for example.
10) No mileage preference

• All into consideration I think I'm asking for: Superb or maybe an Insignia (for the cheap)?
  • Out Of budget sadly are: Kia Stinger, i30 fastback. Arteon (nice though!)
  • On the fence on: A7, S5, BMW 3/5 GT (big engines and servicing tend to put them lower on my list, and I don't care for their badges per se).
  • Ruled out: Mondeo's

Its a slow search process, i'm in no rush, anything else I should look out for or wait to depreciate?

Last edited:
Soldato
The 272/280 is certainly worth considering (outputs differ slightly by year) if they're in budget (£12k would be Mk2 territory i'd have thought though?).

The 2.0TSI is a very flexible engine and driven in a reasonable fashion on 'boring journeys' up and down A roads etc. can return 40mpg. Plant your foot everywhere or do all your driving amongst inner city traffic and it obviously won't. You'll find the 272/280 isn't significantly worse on fuel than the 220 though, so it's certainly worth considering. Probably a better chance of a decent spec 272/280 compared to a 220 too, as the original purchasers will have been slightly less budget conscious.

Soldato
OP
All very good points. Mk2 is off the cards, because it isn't a fastback, that was introduced in the Mk3, which is probably the reason I didn't get the Superb 5 years ago! So that and my budget may very well make my decision for me. 2016 L&K 2.0TSI 220 is coming in right on budget time and time again.

Soldato
I know you don't want an estate but just in case the reasoning for that was 'estates are too long', bear in mind the Superb is the same length in either configuration (in fact I think on the Mk3 due to the bumper design the estate is actually a few mm shorter than the hatchback!). If you're not fussed on looks, it may open up a few more cars to you.

Soldato
OP
I know you don't want an estate but just in case the reasoning for that was 'estates are too long', bear in mind the Superb is the same length in either configuration (in fact I think on the Mk3 due to the bumper design the estate is actually a few mm shorter than the hatchback!). If you're not fussed on looks, it may open up a few more cars to you.

Its not the length, just preference against the estate shape, and i don't need cavernous space, just the odd time i'll slid and fit bigger things in, when biking etc..

Check that you can fit in it. I'm 6'4" and can only just get my legs under the steering wheel, and that's with the seat as low as possible and the steering wheel as high as possible.

The one time being shorter has apparently helped me. I'm 5'8", so i doubt that will ever be a concern!

Last edited:
Soldato
Great all round cars tbh and seems to suit your requirements perfectly. I too doubt you can get a (good) 280 for the money, but tbh they don't handle anything other than "tidily for the size" anyway so I'm not sure you'll miss the additional grunt outside of the odd motorway blast.

Can't type for toffee
Don
Superbs are cracking :D good choice

I'm currently looking at kodiaqs as fancy 7 seats again.
It'd have to be Dragon green or moon grey for me olboth colours look awesome

With the towbar deffo try and get the fitted folded one.
From what the skoda dealer was saying about towbar on the kodiaq by fitting this it actually upgrades other parts of the car as well (cooler iirc) so that the vehicle is suited to towing.

Other options well worth have was the leds up front, tell able by the illuminated staves in the headlights the family pack for the window tints and built in retractable window shades and the funky headrests.

Digital cockpit and there was one more feature you really should get from the driver convenience pack but I can't recall which it was. Basically by adding it means you could later use opcom to enable a lot of the other "chargeable" extras for for free.

Oh and dcc :)

Let us know what you find :)

Superb sportline plus 4x4 180 in Estate and dragon green really does make sense altho l+k really does have a lot of toys.

Don
Whilst they are excellent cars, they also appear to be almost as rare as rocking horse ****.

There is only a single petrol Superb nationally for sale on A/T that meets your requirements (I know, because I am looking for exactly the same criteria as you).

Can't type for toffee
Don
Theres some decent discount available at the moment on new if your budget can stretch, had a look onz car wow?

I've just been quoted 28.5 for a brand new kodiaq sel with a shed load of options.

I really wanted the towbar and meter grey for the colour family pack was a must as was the virtual dash, even searching for one with the family pack and a towbar was retuning nowt.

I think a lot of the earlier kodiaqs and superb are coming to the end of their leases (been watching these for a coupla year now) and the vast majority of them appear to have been base spec with no addons at all

Soldato
OP

Yep! This is exactly what i'm looking at, and i don't think there is much that can give it a run for the money.

Theres some decent discount available at the moment on new if your budget can stretch, had a look onz car wow?

I've just been quoted 28.5 for a brand new kodiaq sel with a shed load of options.

I really wanted the towbar and meter grey for the colour family pack was a must as was the virtual dash, even searching for one with the family pack and a towbar was retuning nowt.

I think a lot of the earlier kodiaqs and superb are coming to the end of their leases (been watching these for a coupla year now) and the vast majority of them appear to have been base spec with no addons at all

I'll have a check on carwow, i tend to find its for more expensive cars, and or not that fruitful the last time i tried.

Back
Top Bottom