• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Im talking about the lower spec model. No disk drive, lesser GPU then a xbox one x...why on earth would anyone get that and not a one x?

They shouldn't be compared on a TFLOP-TFLOP basis. They work on different architectures. Add the fact the One X has to render at 4K and the Series S is 1440p it doesn't need crazy numbers.

Assuming the Series S isn't as powerful as the One X (My guess is it'll match at worst, 30-40% more is likely), it's cheaper at launch than the One X is now. Even refurbished ones are £300, if you're lucky you can grab a used one with no warranty for £220.

Associate
When the SSD you get to these sort of speeds I think there are diminishing returns in terms of performance. A lot has been said about the PS5 SSD architecture and speed, but I believe Xbox has a few tricks up it's sleeve too that may well close the gap between them.........but, as mentioned, I expect it to be milliseconds in reality! Whilst the data throughput is immense on both, I think the vRam will become a limiting factor in holding and processing that data.

Soldato
Im talking about the lower spec model. No disk drive, lesser GPU then a xbox one x...why on earth would anyone get that and not a one x?

Still using a 1080p TV here, so the Series X only offers marginal benefits (disc drive, double the storage). Games will likely look and play the same whether I buy an S or an X. The extra ~8 TFLOPs of GPU power in the Series X is basically the bit that takes games from 1440p and 30 or 60 FPS, up to 4K and 60 or 120 fps. And I don't need that. I'd sooner keep the £200.

Caporegime
The monthly subscription is limited to a few countries only, at launch.

The price difference between getting it for 2 years on all access vs buying separate/upfront seems minimal to me anyway.

"Get your first month for £1,
then £10.99/month*"

Is there a cheaper way to get game pass ultimate, by buying gold and upgrading for say 6 or 12 months?

I'm very tempted to get the S and use it for gamepass for at least a while, if not 2 years. I'm not opposed to using a VPN as I always hear about using Brazil, but never looked into it.

rp2000

Soldato
Is Xbox All Access available in the UK? Would I lost the game pass I already have till April 2021?

Yes, two outlets are confirmed so far (not sure if I can mention them, so I wont). Nobody knows about the second question yet. It's possible it'll just get added on when you use the same email address. I'm sure it'll all be confirmed closer to release.

Soldato

So am I. 249 for that hardware is amazing. The GPU isn’t inferior, in many ways it’s much more advanced. The One X is seriously constrained by its awful CPU.

Maybe because they don’t have a 4K screen, or only casually play games, or because they are a kid? There’s so many scenarios where someone would buy one.

Soldato
How many have 1440p screens though and if you've a 4k TV surely you'd want native 4k not upscaled output ?

The choice of resolution is partly because 1440p up-scaled to 4K looks markedly better than 1080p, and partly for the general buying public 1440 is a higher number than 1080. ;)

Soldato
How many have 1440p screens though and if you've a 4k TV surely you'd want native 4k not upscaled output ?

It'll be interesting to see how 1440p upscaled to 4K on Series S compares to native 4K on Series X.

At the end of the day, Series S is just an option. For some, it'll be worth it to save the £200. For others, it won't be. Personally, I think it's a really smart move. Adding Series S to the line-up will see more people buy an Xbox, not less.

Soldato
What hap[pens if you still have quite a bit to go on your existing game pass subscription come November, but want to get the monthly deal? Nothing i presume..

If you’re already an Xbox Game Pass Ultimate member, wait until your existing membership has a prepaid balance that is less than 12 months before redeeming the 24-month Xbox Game Pass Ultimate membership through Xbox All Access. You will be unable to redeem with more than 12 prepaid months of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate.

Back
Top Bottom