Dune (2020) - Denis Villeneuve

Caporegime
Hmmmm

:p

It's so hard to see another version of one of my favourite films ever. Another take on your beloved characters. I wonder where they are going with Leto. Love that they made them Hellenistic.

Guess I'll watch it 50 more times

Last edited:
Soldato
It didn’t move me but it didn’t put me off either. Knowing the source material well I’m not surprised it’s not flashy it will all be about the subtlety of the World building so not worried.......yet

Soldato
Denis Villeneuve has certainly pulled out all the stops. It's got a very epic feel to it, a really big scale. I hope he hasn't messed about with the story and characters. I'm not sure about the vocal music over the trailer, it seems out of place, hopefully that's not the style of the whole soundtrack.

Soldato
giphy.gif

Bless the maker and his waters!

OcUK Staff
Hollywood influence though - says ‘crusade’ because using the word Jihad is touchy-touchy.
To be fair it's a trailer, and many people who aren't familiar with Dune will have a very negative connotation of the word and so may assume that the Jihad coming is the "baddies" (don't think the trailer even names the Harkonnens) where the word "Crusade" has more "heroic" associations to western audiences (I know many will disagree with that based on history, but still, the words more common associations.). They may talk much more about it being a Jihad in the full film, and just using this in the trailer. We'll see.
I've not read the original novel for probably at least a decade but still watch Lynch's film evey couple of years at least (one of my secret shame films I just adore), but the trailer shows Idaho calling Paul "My Duke". From memory which may heavily be influenced by the older film and the SciFi Channel series I thought that wasn't what happened?

Caporegime
This is looking good. Lynch's Dune was an extraordinary classic, but also a hell of a way from the Book (and Books, but most of the stuff after the first is nowhere near the same quality). I'm excited to see what Villeneuve does with such strong source material. Blade Runner 2049 missed the mark for me, but it was still an remarkable piece of work.

Associate
Beautiful looking film as you would expect from Villeneuve. Good to see focus on the hand to hand combat as in the book, rather then the Weirding modules and other guns from Lynch.
I absolutely love Lynch's Dune and saw in it in the cinema when it was released. Its still a great film and if this new film is successful, maybe it might mean we get to see the original 4 hour cut.

Soldato
To be fair it's a trailer, and many people who aren't familiar with Dune will have a very negative connotation of the word and so may assume that the Jihad coming is the "baddies" (don't think the trailer even names the Harkonnens) where the word "Crusade" has more "heroic" associations to western audiences (I know many will disagree with that based on history, but still, the words more common associations.). They may talk much more about it being a Jihad in the full film, and just using this in the trailer. We'll see.

I liked the use of the word jihad, as it conveys that it is not a heroic war, but it is a holy war, driven by faith and belief that the time of the Fremen has come, and it is a holy war out of Paul's control, and one that he didn't want to have, or lead. Paul is carried by the force of his prescience.

I've not read the original novel for probably at least a decade but still watch Lynch's film evey couple of years at least (one of my secret shame films I just adore), but the trailer shows Idaho calling Paul "My Duke". From memory which may heavily be influenced by the older film and the SciFi Channel series I thought that wasn't what happened?

Duncan is killed very early on, in the Harkonnen/Sardukar attack when Arakeen is overrun and Paul has to flee to the desert with Jessica. Duncan Idaho is killed in the defence of the House Atredes at that time. Idaho is killed before, or at the same time as Leto, so there is no point that Idaho knows Paul as the new Duke. They might have made a change there to keep Jason Mamoa on screen for longer. That's a mistake given the future of Duncan Idaho in the later books, and why it becomes an issue for Paul when tempted with his resurrection as evidence that Chiani can be brought back - for a price. It's probably not an issue if they only film the first three books.

Gurney thinks Paul dead, until a few years later when they meet up as Paul attacks a smuggler camp that is smuggling Spice offworld and preventing Paul's Spice blockade from having the desired effect.

Back
Top Bottom