Gravel, gravel everywhere

Associate
Surface dressing I believe it's called. And it's the work of the devil.

If you're on a bike, it's like cycling through treacle. If you're on a horse, well forget it.

Even when the stuff is bedded in it gives a nasty boneshaking surface.

Surely there's a better way to do this? You never see it on motorways etc.

Council cost cutting no doubt. A cheap way to cober up all those potholes.

Associate
you're right its a cost postponement treatment.. generally used to surface an existing road surface that is in a generally good condition (structurally) to add approximately 5 years to the life span of the texture of the road surface.
It is a cost effective way per square metre of keeping the rubber connected to the road in bad weather and a rough surface being the main objective.

those other two modes of transport shouldn't be on the road anyway...:p

Caporegime
true but we still have to pay to use the roads, if you don't pay then you aren't really in a position to complain
How are you paying to use the road? You are paying to tax your vehicle. Roads (of the type that are poorly dressed rather than re-laid) are paid for out of your Council Tax I believe.

Also, how many horse riders and cyclists are also motorists?

I really REALLY hate this new tactic of throw down tar and then a layer of grit, it goes everywhere, sticks to paintwork and feels terrible/lots of road noise.

Don
How are you paying to use the road? You are paying to tax your vehicle. Roads (of the type that are poorly dressed rather than re-laid) are paid for out of your Council Tax I believe.

e.

I pay a tax which allows me to use my vehicle on the road, doesn't really matter what it's called

as for them also being motorists and thus paying tax, if I have 2 vehicles I pay the tax twice

Man of Honour
They did it on the main road through the town I used to live in - couple of months later there was literally huge craters in the road and they had to go in and do it proper - few weeks later and the "proper" job is showing signs of wear - it is hilarious and a bit sad.

I know we've got a lot more traffic and more heavy traffic these days but years ago they'd do it once and it would last 10 years.

Associate
OP
Furthermore I also ride a motorcycle (for which I pay road tax and therefore contribute to the maintenance of the roads) and that wretched gravel is lethal especially when freshly done as the action of all the cars seems to cause it to collect in drifts. And believe me, when your front wheel hits one of those, it's curtains.

Soldato
and that wretched gravel is lethal especially when freshly done as the action of all the cars seems to cause it to collect in drifts. And believe me, when your front wheel hits one of those, it's curtains.

Almost as dangerous as when your wheels hit a large pile of horse **** left in the road, just around a blind bend on an unlit section of country road. Do you scoop your horse **** up or do you just leave it where it falls?

Soldato
Although annoying, it's cost effective and does actually work to prevent the road degrading further. However I agree, when it's freshly done and the dressing stones are bedding in, it's a complete nightmare. I tend to make a mental note of roads which have it done, and try to avoid them for as long as I can. Seems like it can take months before it's fully bedded in sometimes.

That said, when it has bedded in, it does seem to leave a fairly decent surface for rural roads and prevents the complete break up of the pavement. So there is that I guess.

I pay a tax which allows me to use my vehicle on the road, doesn't really matter what it's called

It kind of does when you're using it to imply that paying/not paying that tax somehow gives someone more or less right to use the road, or more or less right to complain about their upkeep.
Calling it "road tax" might make basic sense when you consider that it's a tax to take a vehicle on the road, and I don't really have a problem calling it that colloquially. But using that to assert that anyone who doesn't pay "road tax" specifically, doesn't have the right to complain road road upkeep is absurd when, as has been pointed out, they do pay by the virtue of paying council tax. It's a similar attitude which leads to moronic observations in every motorist vs. cyclist debate where people try to use the fact that paying "road tax" somehow gives them more "right" or priority to use the road over anyone else. It doesn't, and it's a bit of a dangerous attitude in my opinion.

Soldato
People used to joke about the council painting the roads, but if you look at the vehicles that hold the new road surface you will notice they contain bitumen emulsion. :D

Back
Top Bottom