Fresh garage build, 5x10m, £10k

Associate
Hi I’m new here, I came across your thread from a google search.

I’ve just put up a cabin / garage, similar size to yours and I made the base ever so slightly bigger than the cabin :rolleyes:.. I’m seeing damp around the edges, I’ve been told to put a skirt around the cabin, but I’ve not seen any examples of this anywhere. I’m worried that water will get between the DPM and the wood. Have you gotten around to sorting yours yet?

p.s. I know what you mean about running cables in 20mm conduit. A real pain and I was left wishing I went for 25mm instead.

Soldato
OP
Hi I’m new here, I came across your thread from a google search.

I’ve just put up a cabin / garage, similar size to yours and I made the base ever so slightly bigger than the cabin :rolleyes:.. I’m seeing damp around the edges, I’ve been told to put a skirt around the cabin, but I’ve not seen any examples of this anywhere. I’m worried that water will get between the DPM and the wood. Have you gotten around to sorting yours yet?

p.s. I know what you mean about running cables in 20mm conduit. A real pain and I was left wishing I went for 25mm instead.

I painted the outside of the bearers with mastic paint, ran a bead of mastic sealant around the outside too.

I've only had (or noticed, anyway) water ingress once since I did that, and it was where my father in law pointed a sprinkler at the garage for several hours. I think the weight of the cabin has settled it more as well and kind of closed the gap.

The bearers are treated so I think they'll be fine. If in a few years they're shot, I guess I'll have to support the cabin and swap them for composite ones. However, I feel like they're going to be ok.

My bearers aren't actually sitting on a DPM, as it just sort of passed me by and I didn't really realise I needed to. There's a DPM under the concrete though. I was quite concerned about it at first once I kind of clocked on that water was coming in under the walls, but as it turns out, it looks like it'll be ok.

Back
Top Bottom