• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I wonder what proportion of the rising VRAM requirements over the years is directly tied to rising resolutions alone (and not just bigger game worlds, etc). Would be interesting to see how, say, a 2x jump in resolution affects VRAM requirements for example.

Saying this thinking about the claim of 8K for the 24GB 3090.

I upped the resolution on my 1080Ti by going from an Oculust Rift CV1 to an HP Reverb. The GPU itself ran out of steam well before the vram filled up.

Soldato
Go buy a console then. This will have more than enough power and vram. I bet its folk who don't even game or have 4k monitors crying in here
That goes without saying. I just dont see what the fuss in paying more for a similar gaming experience. And for me its 1440p and the guarantee of more games not looking at fps is my reason for doing this .:D

Last edited:
Soldato
Why only 10 GB of memory for RTX 3080? How was that determined to be a sufficient number, when it is stagnant from the previous generation?

[Justin Walker] We’re constantly analyzing memory requirements of the latest games and regularly review with game developers to understand their memory needs for current and upcoming games. The goal of 3080 is to give you great performance at up to 4k resolution with all the settings maxed out at the best possible price.

In order to do this, you need a very powerful GPU with high speed memory and enough memory to meet the needs of the games. A few examples - if you look at Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, Metro Exodus, Wolfenstein Youngblood, Gears of War 5, Borderlands 3 and Red Dead Redemption 2 running on a 3080 at 4k with Max settings (including any applicable high res texture packs) and RTX On, when the game supports it, you get in the range of 60-100fps and use anywhere from 4GB to 6GB of memory.

If those games are using 4-6gb so say 5gb on average.

Then I think double that 10gb is more than enough.

If you don't then I think you are being completely unrealistic.

I used 6 different gpus with pubg ranging from the 1050 to the 1080.

I don't think vram was ever an issue. It's likely that if 10gb does become an issue then you will need more power than a 3080 anyway.

So I'm willing to listen to the experts here.
I can see your point although you totally ignore his comments about price being a limiting factor on the amount of VRAM, however of the games listed at 4K Ultra Shadow of the Tomb Raider uses 7780MB & Assasins Creed Odyssey uses 7424MB so significantly outside of the quoted 4-6GB, the rest use 5-6 GB but they are all cherry picked examples. I am currently playing Horizon Zero Dawn at 1440P and Memory useage on my 1070 is generally running well over 7GB even with reduced settings, and my next 'game' will be MS Flight SIM which at 4K can exceed 10GB. I've no doubt that 10GB is probably enough for 99% of current titles at 4K but it's reaching the limit and for people like me who can only invest in a graphics card every other generation I don't think 10GB will be enough in 2-3 years time for 'next gen' titles. It's within NVidia's remit to pursuade people otherwise which is why it's best to take their statements with a good pinch of salt, but personally I won't be buying a 10GB card, rather I'll wait to see what AMD bring to the table and potentially what the pricing the 3070 & 3080 super / ti varients with more VRAM release at.

UEX

UEX

Associate
... and my next 'game' will be MS Flight SIM which at 4K can exceed 10GB.

It only exceeds 10Gb on cards that have 10Gb. You might consider that highly obvious but it hasnt been shown to get near 11Gb on an 11Gb card, not even 10Gb (in what ive seen) but it does go over 10Gb in 16Gb and up cards. Meaning that it may simply load up VRAM with an optimal percentage of data regardless of the systems capacity to work on it.

Soldato
What’s that? You are buying a console instead of a 3080? :p

Actually that link does not say that. It says it “could” have. I hope it does, but we will see :)

Nope. Not buying a console.

And yes I should have changed it to 'could' but was too lazy.

You still 100% buying a 3080 on launch?

I don't know what I am going to do. Half of me wants to impulse buy it, the other half wants to wait and see how AMD and the consoles affect prices and cards etc... No big rush at the end of the day. CyberPunk not until Nov 17th.

Soldato

I don't know what I am going to do. Half of me wants to impulse buy it, the other half wants to wait and see how AMD and the consoles affect prices and cards etc... No big rush at the end of the day. CyberPunk not until Nov 17th.

Empowering you with freedom and choice is core to everything we do at Xbox. In addition to the traditional option of purchasing the new generation of Xbox Series X and S at $499 (Estimated Retail Price) and $299 (Estimated Retail Price) respectively, we’re expanding our Xbox All Access program to 12 countries this holiday, with more to come in 2021.

Whether you’re upgrading to the newest consoles or joining the Xbox family for the first time, Xbox All Access is the easiest way to get the best of Xbox. Xbox All Access provides an Xbox Series X, or Series S, along with 24 months of the full Xbox Game Pass Ultimate experience. In total, that means you get access to:

• The next-generation Xbox console of your choice
  • Over 100 high-quality games to play on console, including next-gen Optimized games
  • Over 100 high-quality games to play on PC
  • An EA Play membership to play more than 60 of EA’s biggest and best console and PC games
  • And over 100 games to play from the cloud
That’s all with no upfront costs and a low monthly price. Xbox Series S will be available starting from $24.99 a month for 24 months and Xbox Series X will be available starting from $34.99 a month for 24 months.
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/09/xbox-series-x-and-xbox-series-s-launching-november-10/

Associate
You can see why the id Software guy said 8GB won't be enough in future titles at 4K, although I suspect he really meant in their games.

https://youtu.be/hdtcTnODN3M

Doom Eternal is at around 10:50 in the video. Look at the scaling, at 4K the 1080 Ti jumps ahead of the 2080 and the Radeon 7 suddenly jumps into the lead by a reasonable margin. It's the only title in the test suite that displays this behaviour but I found it interesting. Is it bandwidth related or down to pure VRAM capacity, or impossible to tell?

Soldato
You can see why the id Software guy said 8GB won't be enough in future titles at 4K, although I suspect he really meant in their games.

https://youtu.be/hdtcTnODN3M

Doom Eternal is at around 10:50 in the video. Look at the scaling, at 4K the 1080 Ti jumps ahead of the 2080 and the Radeon 7 suddenly jumps into the lead by a reasonable margin. It's the only title in the test suite that displays this behaviour but I found it interesting. Is it bandwidth related or down to pure VRAM capacity, or impossible to tell?

So, this is the proof they were looking for.
Guess how they will react? "It doesn't mean anything, the 2080 was simply slower", LOL
:D

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

After seeing the performance figures that came out from the leak, I did lose quite a bit of enthusiasm. If it does not match expectations set by Jensen and digital foundry then I may not bother. Will then just wait until November and see what’s what then.

Soldato
I upped the resolution on my 1080Ti by going from an Oculust Rift CV1 to an HP Reverb. The GPU itself ran out of steam well before the vram filled up.
That's just because those games don't have high enough resolution textures that even cranking up to 4k won't fill the 11gb. The 1080ti has plenty of horsepower to cope with the high polygon counts, lighting effects, bump maps and ambient occlusion etc but I assure you could quite easily get bogged down if the games were to make heavy use of 4096 or higher textures.

Soldato
It only exceeds 10Gb on cards that have 10Gb.

3-Dumb-and-Dumber-Laughing-Gif.gif

Soldato
After seeing the performance figures that came out from the leak, I did lose quite a bit of enthusiasm. If it does not match expectations set by Jensen and digital foundry then I may not bother. Will then just wait until November and see what’s what then.

Well we know what we where shown was best case scenarios. Expect performance to be 'up' to those figures.

Associate
Looking forward to Monday's reviews to finally put this to bed one way or the other.

Especially be interested in Hardware Unboxed's benchmarks since they seem to be interested in isolating whether there is a vram limitation or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom