So changing mobo, cpu. Re-install Windows or just let it do its thing?

Soldato
So traditionally i've always re-installed a fresh copy of Windows whenever i've replaced the mobo. But this day and age is it really necessary ?

I'm moving up from an i7 7700k / AsRock Extreme4 Z270 16gb ram to an i7 10700k AsRock / Extreme4 Z470 32gb ram

I'm keeping my existing 1080ti well at least until the 3080 is out :p and all my existing drives.

But as i get grey in my old age, i'm really not as eager to wipe the machine down and start all over again.. I'm a fairly heavy Adobe Creative Suite user, and all the settings, i've changed and tweaked to my liking, i'm not sure, i'll ever remember them all. I do game every now and then, but nothing like when i was a whipper snapper.

How absolutely necessary is it this day and age to reformat when switching motherboards? or is the Windows 10 plug and play good enough to just let it do its own thing? Is it still a no-go ? or can we get away with it now ? I remember everyone use to reformat, when they upgraded their GPU's back in the day.. Today, its f.that, throw it in, update drivers and call it good.

Soldato
Windows 10 will automatically detect the new mobo and download the relevant drivers, there's no need to reinstall windows like we did in the past when things went borky.

ne0

ne0

Associate
I would reinstall Windows personally. Things will work if you don't but I doubt everything will be optimal.

Soldato
It'll largely be fine, but I'd download network drivers and have them saved as a precaution. Sometimes it doesn't like switching between intel/realtek.

Associate
Sort of related, but what does Windows lock itself to now, CPU?

I am planning a new build but really just new CPU/motherboard/ram keep everything else.

The are much relaxed these days. If you have the sticker or MS account and can put in the details, it will likely work. If not, keys can be bought for a tenner or so on ebay or many other places. A lot of reputable youtubers are sponsored by key selling companies. Even if you don't input your old key or buy a new one, the only irritation is a watermark bottom right of desktop display (not visible when doing things) and the inability to choose wallpaper.

Soldato
The are much relaxed these days. If you have the sticker or MS account and can put in the details, it will likely work. If not, keys can be bought for a tenner or so on ebay or many other places. A lot of reputable youtubers are sponsored by key selling companies. Even if you don't input your old key or buy a new one, the only irritation is a watermark bottom right of desktop display (not visible when doing things) and the inability to choose wallpaper.

Oh ok nice one, yes I have a genuine win 10 license and kept the box with the license key safe.

Thank you.

Associate
Windows 10 will automatically change the license and you can select the option saying you changed your hardware, deactivate the "old computer" - old parts - and then reactivate the pc with the new PC parts. I recently changed my mobo and that's what I did

Permabanned
If you don't have an account it doesn't care either. You just swap out the parts and it's fine. The only time you get an issue is when you have changed absolutely everything - ie you have cloned the boot drive as well. Even than all you may have to make a phone call and swear allegiance to Gates.

Back
Top Bottom