Gravel, gravel everywhere

Soldato
Bone shaking surface on a horse.....?

I thought that weird too. But then it would explain why a shire horse I used to ride would never walk on anything other than grass or sand. Proper stubborn **** he was, and there was no way you were going to move him if he decided to stay put.

Associate
It's the awful hold breath while tractor/hgv/car being driven too fast by plonker going past on newly gritted surface that is the worst bit. I've had two windscreens damaged over the years by flying gravel.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
I thought that weird too. But then it would explain why a shire horse I used to ride would never walk on anything other than grass or sand. Proper stubborn **** he was, and there was no way you were going to move him if he decided to stay put.
I hope you paid the tax on that horse. What's the going rate these days, £1 per poop - sorry, emission - on the road? :D

Soldato
that's exactly what it does, if I pay it I can use my car on the road, if I don't pay it then I can't

I think you've missed the point of what I said, even though I thought I'd outlined it in the part you havent quoted.

I didn't dispute that your ability to drive a car on the road was dependent on you paying a VED, and therefore I agreed that colloquially referring to it as "road tax" is fine.

What I disputed was your implication that therefore you have more right to the roads than those who don't pay a VED. An attitude you displayed when you told someone "if you don't pay road tax you have no right to complain".

You're implying that your requirement to pay an extra tax to use your motor vehicle on the road somehow gives you more say over their use because you call it "road tax". It doesn't.

Hence my original point..."road tax" is fine as long as you remember that it's about taxing motor vehicles' access to the road only. Everyone pays for the upkeep of the roads via their Council Tax, so telling someone they have no right to complain because they don't pay the extra tax you do to use a car on them is silly.

Man of Honour
I love it on my motorbike, really spices my rides up especially when someone drives right off my arse so they'd run straight over me if I come off.

Soldato
that's exactly what it does, if I pay it I can use my car on the road, if I don't pay it then I can't
Tax is based on emissions and bikes don't produce any so don't pay tax, what's your point?

Local roads will be covered by the local authority so assuming they pay council tax, they have just as much right as you to complain.

Soldato
Everything the council does, has to be done at the lowest possible cost. Even if it means more expensive in the long run.
If you have two contracts, one asking for £50k and one asking for £100k but guarantee the job will last for years....they will pick the £50k one.

Caporegime
Everything the council does, has to be done at the lowest possible cost. Even if it means more expensive in the long run.
If you have two contracts, one asking for £50k and one asking for £100k but guarantee the job will last for years....they will pick the £50k one.

This is inherently the problem though.

TCO should be more highly prioritized than initial outlay.

Back
Top Bottom