What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Very nice @HungryHippos. He did a tidy job sneaking that cable up the down pipe. That sure is a big TV, I think maybe you should got the next size up... :D

@{SAS}TB looks like you have been a busy boy! What is the wooden batton across the top of the window for? Someone did that in my brothers house, I ripped them off and installed curtain poles straight in to the wall for a cleaner look!

Soldato
Very nice, you doing anything to fill around the edges of the blinds to stop light bleeding through the frames?

Your cable management is as good as mine right now btw for your desk! :D

My desk is currently in front of the window temporarily, biggest headache is having the reach to get the windows open with the desk in the way I find.

I was also wondering about the batton above the window, does seem odd. If it serves no purpose I also would have been tempted to remove it.

Soldato
Very nice @HungryHippos. He did a tidy job sneaking that cable up the down pipe. That sure is a big TV, I think maybe you should got the next size up... :D

@{SAS}TB looks like you have been a busy boy! What is the wooden batton across the top of the window for? Someone did that in my brothers house, I ripped them off and installed curtain poles straight in to the wall for a cleaner look!

Just about works with that TV size, although at some point I may look at getting a new cabinet for it that is a bit wider, and maybe a bit less tall as the current TV is larger than the one I had when I first bought it. Shame to do it though as the cabinet matches my coffee table and the side table, oh well.

One problem I do have is that the speaker cable was cut to length like 2 houses ago, and it's kind of just worked since then. Adding the trunking means the cables aren't quite as lax as before, so they only just make it (where before I could get the AVR out and have it on the carpet in front of the cabinet). It's possible I'll need to look at extending a couple of them if it's not too difficult to do.

Soldato

Thanks - Knackered now :p

Yeah the batten is for a curtain pole - I took them out in the hall and our bedroom and they took a fair bit of filling / sanding. I had to get the room "done" this weekend. I'll have to clear the room again when the new floor does down so may do it then :)

Very nice, you doing anything to fill around the edges of the blinds to stop light bleeding through the frames?

Your cable management is as good as mine right now btw for your desk! :D

My desk is currently in front of the window temporarily, biggest headache is having the reach to get the windows open with the desk in the way I find.

I was also wondering about the batton above the window, does seem odd. If it serves no purpose I also would have been tempted to remove it.

Thanks and may put some white beading or trim round - I have some in the garage. Although you don't really notice it sat at the desk, I'll see.

Lol, going to tidy it when the floors down and everything goes back in perminantly (honest) may even out a tray or trunking under the desk like my old study.

The windows aren't too bad to reach and the blinds will really help with the solar gain and glare

Soldato
Had a nightmare painting one of the spare rooms over the weekend :(
I thought it would be a great idea to use up some rubbish cheapo b&q paint as an undercoat. Unfortunately a big patch of it started lifting under the top coat. Trying to correct it just made it worse. So in the end had to wash off a huge patch and repaint. Of course that left a nasty edge showing through the paint, so had to sand it and build the layers again.

Almost sorted it out now, but wasted a good chunk of time. That b&q paint is going down the skip ASAP.

Soldato
Just about works with that TV size, although at some point I may look at getting a new cabinet for it that is a bit wider, and maybe a bit less tall as the current TV is larger than the one I had when I first bought it. Shame to do it though as the cabinet matches my coffee table and the side table, oh well.

One problem I do have is that the speaker cable was cut to length like 2 houses ago, and it's kind of just worked since then. Adding the trunking means the cables aren't quite as lax as before, so they only just make it (where before I could get the AVR out and have it on the carpet in front of the cabinet). It's possible I'll need to look at extending a couple of them if it's not too difficult to do.

I ended up changing my TV cabinet as my newer TV looked a bit top heavy too!

If you look at the pic of under my stairs shelving, there are two 50m coils of speaker cable on the bottom shelf in front of my wall mounted switch :D It is really easy to make your own cables, I've done it for all my speakers. This is the stuff I use:

KabelDirekt speaker wire 2.5mm
Fisual easy fix banana plugs

Soldato
I ended up changing my TV cabinet as my newer TV looked a bit top heavy too!

If you look at the pic of under my stairs shelving, there are two 50m coils of speaker cable on the bottom shelf in front of my wall mounted switch :D It is really easy to make your own cables, I've done it for all my speakers. This is the stuff I use:

KabelDirekt speaker wire 2.5mm
Fisual easy fix banana plugs

Yeah I was wondering if I can extend the existing runs a but rather than making entirely new ones up, not impossible to do that of course but it would save a bit of expense/effort/wastage if I could add like 50CM to the cables that come into the cabinet. The rear speaker cables are a good 10-15M long so I'd probably use up an entire 50M roll to directly replace all of them with longer runs.

The current situation does work so I can leave it as it is, it was mainly so I could give a bit of room for maintenance stuff like pulling the AVR out to attach HDMI or check the leads are all fully connected etc.

Soldato
You can get female socket banana plugs. I think the hifi police might hunt you down if you did that though. You could always try it and see if you noticed any difference in your sound quality. *checks over his shoulder to make sure the hifi police are not on to him.

Soldato
You can get female socket banana plugs. I think the hifi police might hunt you down if you did that though. You could always try it and see if you noticed any difference in your sound quality. *checks over his shoulder to make sure the hifi police are not on to him.

:D

Yeah like I said it's OK as it is so I can probably just leave it, ideally I'd leave a bit of slack but the cables really weren't cut for the length they are.

I'm not that keen on the idea either as it means if there is a problem there can be more places where the problem exists.

Soldato
Fashioned a funnel from a used milk bottle to top up the Adblue in the rediculously placed tank

IMG-20200908-093420.jpg

IMG-20200908-093442.jpg

IMG-20200908-093437.jpg

:rolleyes:

Tea Drinker
Don
New front door. Fashioned from a Howdens oak front door, a spare Howdens internal door for the side half and a frame from oak run down and assembled in a local joiners shop. PAS24 locking mechanism super Yale lock and handle. You need a chainsaw to get through.

Door seems not to have darkened with the Osmo like the frame and half. Going to leave it see if it darkens a bit now the sun can get to it or I’ll tint a coat of Osmo. Picture over does the difference it’s not that stark in person.

Qh683GX.jpg

Back
Top Bottom