This Instant And Moment - 2020!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Doesn't warrant it's own thread but,

What is the correct word for testing in the past tense? It annoys me when people say "i texted you" but i'm now wondering whether it's actually technically correct.

I just use "text" to cover all tenses

"I text you last week"
"I will text you"

It feels like it works better and doesn't make me sound like a *******.

Also whilst i'm at it, why do people add an S to certain shops? "I'm going to Tescos", "I'm going to Asdas". The shops are called Tesco and Asda. It seems to primarily be supermarkets. no one says "I'm going to Burger Kings" or "I'm going to Primarks"

Again they sound like bellends.

Good way to start a genuine question and end up in a rant.

Caporegime
Doesn't warrant it's own thread but,

What is the correct word for testing in the past tense? It annoys me when people say "i texted you" but i'm now wondering whether it's actually technically correct.

I just use "text" to cover all tenses

"I text you last week"
"I will text you"

It feels like it works better and doesn't make me sound like a *******.

"I texted you last week" is correct.

Adding 'ed' to the end of a word is the standard way to convert the name of an action to the past tense, unless another word exists.

watch and watched
call and called

Exceptions would include

sing and sang
write and wrote

Saying "I text you last week" is grammatically incorrect in the same way that saying "I call you last week" is grammatically incorrect.

Texted is a made up chavism. Correct phrase would be "i sent you a text" text being a colloquial term for text message.

No it isn't. I'd say that using the word "text" in the past tense is more of a 'chavism' than converting it to the word "texted". The word "texted" exists in various respected dictionaries as the past participle of text, in the context of SMS messages.

Saying "I sent you a text" is of course completely fine as well however!

Also whilst i'm at it, why do people add an S to certain shops? "I'm going to Tescos", "I'm going to Asdas". The shops are called Tesco and Asda. It seems to primarily be supermarkets. no one says "I'm going to Burger Kings" or "I'm going to Primarks"

I often wonder this too. It might stem from Sainsbury's. That is the correct spelling because it used to be 'J Sainsbury' many years ago. My Great Aunt and Nan refer to it as "Mr Sainsbury's", and I've heard them say "Mr Tesco's" etc as a jokey call-back.

If that was more common than just within my family, it probably comes from people hearing their parents put a supurfluous S on the end, and picking it up.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's what i'm thinking re: Text/Texted. I still don't like it though, it just sounds clunky :p
I say text not texted

Although i notice sometimes people now say "I sent you a WhatsApp" or "I WhatsApp'd you"

I agree "texted" sounds too long. Meh, I don't care if "text" is wrong. I'm still going to use it :p

I'm more 'concerned' with people who say should have instead of should have or brought instead of bought (and vice versa) etc or using double negatives such as "i didnt do nothing"

My biggest pet peeve at work is a colleague who will say three like "free" and sentences such as "I done that yesterday". No. Just no. You "did that yesterday" internally I sit there screaming in my head lol. Of course now i have the pleasure of working from home so i don't hear it :D

I know my grammar is far from perfect and I say "like" too much (a habit picked up from school) but I like to think it's not too bad :p (don't even get me started on how my mum now speaks. She has hung around my brother for too long)

I do say Tesco with an s on the end though :o I don't for Asda. I think it's because that's how my parents have always said it so again it's a bad habit I've picked up lol

Caporegime
I'm please to have allowed everyone to release these frustrations even though some of you (Acme) are wrong on Text/Texted :p

-prod- :p

My old mans just discovered texting.

Mind you, you have to be Alan Turing levels to actually decipher them!

My Dad used to text all in caps without any punctuation because on his old Nokia 5120 it would stay in caps unless you toggled it with the star key. He now has a new phone and texts in sentence case, which is refreshing... I don't feel like I'm being shouted at anymore!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom