• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Sorry, I forgot to say I did find your link and read it, it was the brazil VPN element that was confusing me, as its like 2 guides/threads in one!

rp2000

I did this recently, it's very simple really but I think people were using free VPN's that didn't put the IP location in Brazil so they had issues.

First make sure you do not have an active gamepass sub

Then buy up to 3 years of Gold either UK or Brazil to get it even cheaper.

If using the Brazil codes, connect to a VPN with a server in Brazil and check your ip location shows you as being in that country.

Go to microsoft.com/redeem in an incognito window to avoid any saved logins, login to your MS account and redeem the live codes, do not accept the free month for renewing if you want to add 3 years as it will take you over the max 36 months.

Log out, turn vpn off and then either use the xbox app or website to use the £1 upgrade offer. If you have already had a gamepass sub you can buy a 1 month Ultimate code from CD Keys for £8.99 and just add that on the xbox app. It will say you are buying 1 month of ultimate but if you check your subscriptions after it will be prepaid until however months of Gold you had.

It's only when you add Gold to an Ultimate sub that you get the rubbish conversion and existing customers with an expired gamepass sub can do the same thing but they might not have the £1 offer so just use a 1 month prepaid code instead.

Mine works out at £2.30 a month

Soldato
I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'm still absolutely stunned at the £449 price. I can't get over it.
Indeed, very competitive. Considering the timeline of announcements, I'm now thinking that Sony and Microsoft weren't waiting for each other to compete on price, but rather they were both aware of Nvidias plans. As far as I'm aware Nvidia have just decimated the price/performance of GPUs with the 30XX series, which undoubtedly plays a major part in the gaming audience's buying decision for whether they upgrade a PC or get a next-gen console.

Soldato
Indeed, very competitive. Considering the timeline of announcements, I'm now thinking that Sony and Microsoft weren't waiting for each other to compete on price, but rather they were both aware of Nvidias plans. As far as I'm aware Nvidia have just decimated the price/performance of GPUs with the 30XX series, which undoubtedly plays a major part in the gaming audience's buying decision for whether they upgrade a PC or get a next-gen console.

I'm in this bracket. It would have meant a full new build, as I'm on a laptop, so was always going to be more than a console, but the thing I was waiting for is how much more.

£450 is an absolute steal.

Soldato
Well yeah it will do because it IS better. Dolby Vision and HDR10+ use dynamic metadata whereas bog standard HDR does not.

This is my first foray into 4K TV's since owning a plasma forever. Got it about 6 weeks ago and I've been playing around with various things like Netflix, BluRay (not seen UHD yet waiting on the new consoles), Disney etc. I've got an LG CX 10 which doesn't support HDR10+ so I've not had the chance to see how that runs. Dolby Vision is amazing to me. Glad that MS are bringing it to XBox.

Soldato

I did think this was another nail in the pc gaming coffin, but then thought they are still very different platforms. I'm not sure that many people would leave pc gaming for console, as if they were going to do it, they would have done it years ago.
It's still things like multi-monitor, peripherals, VR, and PC only games etc etc which still demands respect. That said, those late to the party who only play console style games on their pc might well be switching. It can only be hardcore pc gamers left now with gpu prices as they are.

Soldato
I really want some more keyboard and mouse love this gen, I've ben playing through Metro Exodus and COD using them on the one x and it's been an excellent experience, I just hope they push it more this time around as it's transformed the SP campaign for me.

Caporegime
OP
I’m really torn. Now the hubbub has died down a bit, I’m thinking I should stick with my original plan of buying a PS5 and muddling along with my 1070. The Xbox Series S kind of ensures that my PC will keep up with games at 1080p60 for another few years yet. And I know I’d miss my Steam library if I swapped.

Associate
Per MM-Seat, if it plays on Xbox One, it plays on Series X|S. If it doesn't, and it isn't a Series X|S title, then it won't. Though more backwards compatibility titles should start landing again after the new consoles launch.

Hmm seems like I was mistaken then. I foolishly though that it was fully backwards compatible with nearly everything.

Caporegime
OP
Hmm seems like I was mistaken then. I foolishly though that it was fully backwards compatible with nearly everything.

I think because it’s using a software emulation layer, it brings all kinds of licensing issues into play. It’s a shame really because there are some great titles still missing. But some is better than none. Xbox still haven’t talked much about BC yet on Series consoles. Are all the Xbox 360 games at 720p now going to get enhanced to 4K? Are all Xbone games? Which are going to get their frame rates doubled?

Soldato

Sadly not.

I'm not sure that will ever be possible. Seems to be a lot of problems around licensing when it comes to backwards compatibility.

Caporegime
I did think this was another nail in the pc gaming coffin, but then thought they are still very different platforms. I'm not sure that many people would leave pc gaming for console, as if they were going to do it, they would have done it years ago.
It's still things like multi-monitor, peripherals, VR, and PC only games etc etc which still demands respect. That said, those late to the party who only play console style games on their pc might well be switching. It can only be hardcore pc gamers left now with gpu prices as they are.

GPU prices are getting a bit silly.

The only thing keeping me going with the PC are strategy games/mouse and keyboard. However if there is good m/kb support on the series X and titles like ANNO and Total War start appearing on the Xbox then i think that will be it for PC gaming for me.

Saying that, i might still stick with PC in the long run as I have to have a powerful PC (CPU and RAM) for other things so really it is only the GPU price that comes into the equation. However you just know an Xbox Series X will play games just as well as a 3080 due to console optimisations etc, so for now, you can save £200 and just get the series X (which will net you an extra 1tb nvme of storage, an extra machine to move around the house, am uhd blu ray player etc).

Even if it is just the GPU that needs factoring in, the consoles this generation are serious bargains in comparison, and will be for a good couple of years most likely (until a generation or two in the future of PC gpus).

Soldato
Still getting son a PS5, but realised I can get £240 for my CyberPunk Xbox One X still at CEX I'm going to get rid now and put that towards a Series X for downstairs and son will have PS5 upstairs in his room.

Back
Top Bottom