ASUS ROG PG27UQ - fan noise + shutdown problem

Associate
So after my third RMA of this monitor I thought my issue had finally been fixed, there was little to none of the horribly loud fan that plagues this display. Everything worked as it should for the first time since owning it. Welp, after 3 months the monitor has decided that it wants to (in roughly 10 second increments) gradually increase fan speed until it reaches (what I assume) is maximum RPM and then the monitor just shuts down, no power, no display, nothing.

Only way to get the screen back on is by switching off at the plug, waiting a few minutes, and then it can be switched on at the back. But after 5 minutes of use the same thing happens again, effectively rendering the monitor as a £2000 pound paperweight. Safe to say I regret ever buying this display, asus' customer support Is poor at the best of times and for a screen as expensive as this you expect a far better experience than I've had. It frankly is not as advertised. And I'm not going be satisfied with just a mere "refurbished" unit again on RMA at this point.

FYI: this has nothing to do with ocuk I bought the screen from scan, this is just a site with a better forum.

Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated

Last edited:
Soldato
after 3 months the monitor has decided that it wants to (in roughly 10 second increments) gradually increase fan speed until it reaches (what I assume) is maximum RPM and then the monitor just shuts down, no power, no display, nothing.

Only way to get the screen back on is by switching off at the plug, waiting a few minutes, and then it can be switched on at the back. But after 5 minutes of use the same thing happens again
Sounds lot like that expensive "Jen-Hsun laughing his way to bank" G-sync module is overheating.
So much for quality for paying that expensive Nvidia tax of getting ball and chain into ankle...

Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated
Would stay completely away from any monitor with hot running active cooling needing stuff.
Even if some processor is cooled enough and with not failing cooler, that much heat is risk for timed break down from nearby capacitors getting cooked up.

Associate
OP
Sounds lot like that expensive "Jen-Hsun laughing his way to bank" G-sync module is overheating.
So much for quality for paying that expensive Nvidia tax of getting ball and chain into ankle...

For future reference yes , by immediately idk what to do. This is the third one Ive had replaced now, and this current one that's died is only 3 months old . Would definitely stay away from active cooled monitors in future but when I bought this I didn't know it was active cooled

Would stay completely away from any monitor with hot running active cooling needing stuff.
Even if some processor is cooled enough and with not failing cooler, that much heat is risk for timed break down from nearby capacitors getting cooked up.

Associate
OP
Spoke to scan today and they have advised me to seek a refund from ASUS, Which I will be doing. However the pg27uq was of such incredible image quality, that even with a refund, Id have no idea what to get as a replacement.

Caporegime
Spoke to scan today and they have advised me to seek a refund from ASUS, Which I will be doing. However the pg27uq was of such incredible image quality, that even with a refund, Id have no idea what to get as a replacement.

The LG 27GN950 has just dropped, one place is currently getting dribs and drabs of stock in now and again. Hopefully OcUK and more retailers will stock soon!

Might be worth checking out :)

Man of Honour

Unless this is happening with other monitors using the module I suspect this is an Asus problem - on the original ROG Swift the main electronics were just slapped in place with a bit of silver tape and there was a problem with heat and current shorting to ground (not sure which way around the problem was - whether the heat caused degradation causing a short or the short caused heat and the component degrading) in one place which was killing them due to poor design despite being a "premium" product and the RMA experience was woeful.

Associate
OP
Unless this is happening with other monitors using the module I suspect this is an Asus problem - on the original ROG Swift the main electronics were just slapped in place with a bit of silver tape and there was a problem with heat and current shorting to ground (not sure which way around the problem was - whether the heat caused degradation causing a short or the short caused heat and the component degrading) in one place which was killing them due to poor design despite being a "premium" product and the RMA experience was woeful.

Currently my RMA experience has been we will just keep giving you replacements. But they are always refurbished units that don't seem to have had any work done to them. I waited a day for an email from their complaints department only to be "again advised that I can request a replacement" ‍♂️

Associate
How old is it? If under 12 months old the retailer has full responsibility, under the sale of good act an item must be of "reasonable quality and fit for purpose" . If purchased using a credit card you could try claim full costs on a chargeback from the retailer.

Associate
OP
3 weeks have now passed, and ive heard zilch from asus apart from "the manager is currently reviewing your case" over a week ago. This thing has been sat on my desk as an expensive paperweight for far too long. Really don't think I will ever buy another asus product. This customer service has been absolutely horrendous.

Associate
3 weeks have now passed, and ive heard zilch from asus apart from "the manager is currently reviewing your case" over a week ago. This thing has been sat on my desk as an expensive paperweight for far too long. Really don't think I will ever buy another asus product. This customer service has been absolutely horrendous.

Hello,

I am in the same situation as you are, mine was purchased in July 2018. It's now starting to overheat and shut down. It happened once when I ran in overclock mode at 144 Hz and I reduced it down to 120 Hz thinking it'll solve the issue, well today it shut down again and I doubt it'll get better on its own.

Are you in the UK? Should I raise an RMA with ASUS?

Thanks. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Associate
I had an Acer predator x27 bought from ocuk and had no issues. Although the fan did start to ramp up louder and louder as time went by. I decided to sell it as heard the warranty support wasn't great from Acer. Bought the Samsung odyssey g9 and even though it has its faults, Samsung support is very decent.

Associate
I know this is old, but I wanted to add my insight! I was having the same issue with the Asus PG27UQ!(Overheating & Shutting Off & Very Loud Fan & Very Warm Air Coming From The Top) So anyways I was trying to figure out the best way to fix this without taking it apart, and I ended up just removing the stand and when I did it revealed(In My Case) the culprit! The fan was caked in dust and all of the tiny exit vents were too! So I used an air blower I bought and cleaned off the fan and the little screen vents. Afterwards when I put the stand back on I also left off the plastic that covered the screws and basically just added aesthetics to let out even more air, and now I can't even hear the fan anymore and the air coming from the top is barely warm! I hope this helps and if so that's great!

Back
Top Bottom