OC(UK) Host Review :-)

Associate
hey guys, any recommendations for reseller Cpanel hosts? Ive seen a lot of resellers that charge a fortune for what i would class as standard such as litespeed, I was looking at stablehost but they want £59 per month for litespeed which has been normal in Cpanel for many years.

Associate
hey guys, any recommendations for reseller Cpanel hosts? Ive seen a lot of resellers that charge a fortune for what i would class as standard such as litespeed, I was looking at stablehost but they want £59 per month for litespeed which has been normal in Cpanel for many years.

Stablepoint or Krystal.

From what i've heard and read, Litespeed isn't really needed?

Soldato
Krystal have a reseller package which is great for more normal sites, think they have Litespeed by default. They're working on a new package for Lightmage as the hosting I need wants 2gb ram for software installation (but doesn't need it for usage). I was tempted with the stablepoint package but I only need 10 accounts and I don't think I can persuade my employer to jump from £18/mo to £60 when we only need the extra cpanel accounts for legacy sites we can't delete yet.

Soldato
I'm with Krystal at the moment on their shared hosting, I've noticed a few of the pages taking much longer to render content, also download of a file seems to be much lower than it used to be. Support and cpanel say I'm not hitting any resource limits but it's much worse than last month.

The site has mainly US, France and Germany traffic.

Stupid question time, since Krystal appears to use UK datacenters is it worth using something like cloudflare to improve the loading times and download speeds? If it's slow for me I imagine it's worse for those outside of the UK.

I don't understand hosting :(.

Soldato
I'm with Krystal at the moment on their shared hosting, I've noticed a few of the pages taking much longer to render content, also download of a file seems to be much lower than it used to be. Support and cpanel say I'm not hitting any resource limits but it's much worse than last month.

Stupid question time, since Krystal appears to use UK datacenters is it worth using something like cloudflare to improve the loading times and download speeds? If it's slow for me I imagine it's worse for those outside of the UK.

You can get Krystal's CDN for cheap for a month to test if that will help

Permabanned

Do you need to allow other countries to view the content? Depends on the content do a GEO IP block. That will slow down the traffic so your not hitting limits.

Just a suggestion, not sure on your content or anything else for that matter.

Soldato
Do you need to allow other countries to view the content? Depends on the content do a GEO IP block. That will slow down the traffic so your not hitting limits.

Just a suggestion, not sure on your content or anything else for that matter.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I can't block any country really there's pretty worldwide traffic just noticed a slowdown in certain geos.

Long story short;
Static Html landing page - Sorted now thankfully via a complete rewrite and Cloudflare.
Zip file - Seems to have improved somewhat using Cloudflare.
Pages primarily for displaying advertising(dynamic) - Main issue for now.

I'm currently checking a UID against a database via php before re-directing the user to the correct ad page. I suspect this is the bottleneck. Currently investigating using Cloudflares workers to see about getting away from a central php and database.

How big is the file! :D

Only 98mb :D.

Soldato
I'm currently checking a UID against a database via php before re-directing the user to the correct ad page. I suspect this is the bottleneck. Currently investigating using Cloudflares workers to see about getting away from a central php and database.
Are the ad pages accessed through a link on the static landing page? It could maybe be done via a jQuery ajax call?
Load static landing page, fire ajax request to get urls for ad pages, fill in links with jQuery so that by the time the user clicks on a link the correct url has been loaded and they are sent to the right place.

Soldato
Are the ad pages accessed through a link on the static landing page? It could maybe be done via a jQuery ajax call?
Load static landing page, fire ajax request to get urls for ad pages, fill in links with jQuery so that by the time the user clicks on a link the correct url has been loaded and they are sent to the right place.

There’s no advertising on the static landing page.

The ad pages are used in a webview in an app. Currently app calls a php with UID checking database if they’re ad free or not and rewrites the url to either an ad page or not. Single banner ad so nothing too complex. Don’t want to turn into the reason I hate ads myself.

Plan at the moment would be converting the ad free database to a flat file and pushing it out and checking with cloudflare workers. Don’t really like relying on cloudflare but can’t find a suitable option at the moment.

Soldato
Are they offering any codes atm? Trying to figure out who to move my hosting to at the moment.
Jump on the live chat, they'll give you one.

Happy to put you on one of my reseller accounts free of charge if you want to host on them for a while to test the waters.

I think at the moment my choices would be StablePoint, SpeedyPage or Krystal

Caporegime
Jump on the live chat, they'll give you one.

Happy to put you on one of my reseller accounts free of charge if you want to host on them for a while to test the waters.

I think at the moment my choices would be StablePoint, SpeedyPage or Krystal

Cheers. I've moved my hosting to Krystal since that post, but still looking to move my domains to somewhere that offers better DNS control, do stablepoint allow CAA records?

Soldato
Cheers. I've moved my hosting to Krystal since that post, but still looking to move my domains to somewhere that offers better DNS control, do stablepoint allow CAA records?
They don't let you manage DNS for domains, they make you do it via the domain's cPanel zone editor, but yes you can do CAA records with them.

Assume Krystal will do the same?

Soldato
Hostpresto were charging £23 a year but have decided to increase to £30 in order to make the offerings fair for all customers. I’ve decided to ditch and will host my content on AWS which should be fun.

Back
Top Bottom