What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
From

IMG-20200906-183218.jpg

To

IMG-20200909-162510.jpg

They have to return with the perimeter trim and fit the trim between the two panels

Then need to sort a new front step ....

That crack above the lintel by the light, have you had that looked at? Presumably work was done there before as the red bricks in the centre are a different shade?

Soldato
Been like that since we moved in a few years ago. Assume it's when the door has been worked in / replaced previously and the lintel (likely to have been an old timber one originally) has moved and the bricks have dropped / mortar cracked.

It's fine ;)

Soldato
I don't normally pay people to do jobs around the house, but had an electrician in today to move the single pendant in my lounge / diner so that its central in the lounge side, and install 4 down lighters in the dining room side. Can't believe we put up with 1 pendant for almost 3 years in this room, was always so dark. Luckily he only needed to make one more hole than needed so I only had 2 holes (old pendant location) to repair. First fill earlier this evening.

I've left most of my stuff in the kitchen whilst I fill, sand and then paint ceiling in the room. The pendant lamp shade to be changed with something the wifey bought that's taking up space in my garage:

mrANLxsh.jpg

4x new spot lights. Can see the two recently filled in holes
GLUGP4Zh.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice i love that style of door looks amazing

how much did that all cost you? Especially the cost of the door?

The door (supply and install) was £1995 an then another £430 for the additional builders work (cutting the brickwork out, timber insert to the floor where the brickwork was removed, removing the step, replastering, new skirting and making good) so £2425 all in

Soldato

The door (supply and install) was £1995 an then another £430 for the additional builders work (cutting the brickwork out, timber insert to the floor where the brickwork was removed, removing the step, replastering, new skirting and making good) so £2425 all in

Thats quite a competitive quote from the builder then.
Where in the uk are you based? Sounds like a good deal wouldnt get that in the south east mega expensive here

Soldato
Took a saw to the top of one of the tall holly trees on the raised border in the garden to maintain neighbour relations. Good news: it looks better now it's a couple of feet shorter, especially from their side. Bad news: despite priding myself on being the most risk averse human being on planet DIY (mainly because I have very little support looking after my very mentally impaired mother), I somehow decided that coming down the ladder with a saw in one hand and my branch loppers in the other was a good idea.

It wasn't.

What can I say, I was tired, I've been on a diet for four weeks to lose the covid notches on my belt, my blood sugar was probably low after annoying the holly tree with a none-too-sharp saw, and... And I didn't fall too far, but it was far enough for me to have time to think 'this isn't going to end well'.

Fortunately this is more nasty scrape than deep wound, though it will make playing the guitar a little challenging for a while... assuming it stays uninfected. Having made myself cry like a baby cleaning it, I certainly hope it stays uninfected. I'm more concerned about the swollen ankle, but I've spent the last couple of hours setting things up for an easy day tomorrow in case I need to hobble around.

Moral of the tale: Manjobs are for sensible folk, not idiots trying to do too much in one go. The silly thing is it's a job I was going to do at the start of the year, but decided it was too risky a task and I didn't want to end up in hospital during covid. Turns out I'm a better judge of my own limitations than I imagined. :)
2Uqsijn.jpg

Soldato
Oof! I had a fall down some stairs ending like that
The most painful thing I remember doing in the past was falling halfway down the stairs and using my forearm on the carpet to break my fall. Carpet burns are really nasty... mainly because carpets tend to be filthy and full of nasty little fibres.
Have you bandaged it all up?
The photo was after it had been washed within an inch of its life and it was only oozing a bit of blood. Sterile dressings, bandage to protect them, and a double dose of ibuprofen have got me sorted so far. And a hospital compression sock for my wonky but functional ankle... a souvenir from when Mum broke her femur last December. Probably ought to get my tetanus updated though.

I'm very lucky though, it could have been far worse. We all need a wake-up call from time to time and this is mine for this decade... I hope. But I've obviously put paracetamol and sellotape next to my bed just in case things get worse in the night.

Tomorrow's man job will be getting out of bed without crying. ;)

Soldato
I don't normally pay people to do jobs around the house, but had an electrician in today to move the single pendant in my lounge / diner so that its central in the lounge side, and install 4 down lighters in the dining room side. Can't believe we put up with 1 pendant for almost 3 years in this room, was always so dark. Luckily he only needed to make one more hole than needed so I only had 2 holes (old pendant location) to repair. First fill earlier this evening.

I've left most of my stuff in the kitchen whilst I fill, sand and then paint ceiling in the room. The pendant lamp shade to be changed with something the wifey bought that's taking up space in my garage:

mrANLxsh.jpg

4x new spot lights. Can see the two recently filled in holes
GLUGP4Zh.jpg
It's odd to have the light so offset, normallybitvwould be centred in the room. Did that used to be 2 room (looking at where the door is as that part of the wall sticks out further).

Soldato
Nope, always been one room (7year old house). It was originally centered in the room, the filled hole closest to the spot lights.

Gave the two holes a quick run down this morning and put a second coat of filler on before work. Maybe one more fill after work and ready for painting tomo.

Soldato
Nope, always been one room (7year old house). It was originally centered in the room, the filled hole closest to the spot lights.

Gave the two holes a quick run down this morning and put a second coat of filler on before work. Maybe one more fill after work and ready for painting tomo.

Nice one, what's next on your list mate?

At some point you'll run out of stuff to do! :D

Back
Top Bottom