• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Well we know what we where shown was best case scenarios. Expect performance to be 'up' to those figures.
Yeah, but DF's results were the exact result. That said those games probably did show best case games and others will be smaller gain. Let's see, how it goes with the reviews. End of the day I will most likely buy it, too many good games coming out not to :p:D

Soldato
That's just because those games don't have high enough resolution textures that even cranking up to 4k won't fill the 11gb. The 1080ti has plenty of horsepower to cope with the high polygon counts, lighting effects, bump maps and ambient occlusion etc but I assure you could quite easily get bogged down if the games were to make heavy use of 4096 or higher textures.

I'm bogged down *now*. (if I try to max all the sttings)

30fps in VR is unplayable and it's not a vram issue in my use case. More vram won't get me to where I want to go. In my case, I have ran out of GPU horsepower before I ran out of vram.

Caporegime
I can see your point although you totally ignore his comments about price being a limiting factor on the amount of VRAM, however of the games listed at 4K Ultra Shadow of the Tomb Raider uses 7780MB & Assasins Creed Odyssey uses 7424MB so significantly outside of the quoted 4-6GB, the rest use 5-6 GB but they are all cherry picked examples. I am currently playing Horizon Zero Dawn at 1440P and Memory useage on my 1070 is generally running well over 7GB even with reduced settings, and my next 'game' will be MS Flight SIM which at 4K can exceed 10GB. I've no doubt that 10GB is probably enough for 99% of current titles at 4K but it's reaching the limit and for people like me who can only invest in a graphics card every other generation I don't think 10GB will be enough in 2-3 years time for 'next gen' titles. It's within NVidia's remit to pursuade people otherwise which is why it's best to take their statements with a good pinch of salt, but personally I won't be buying a 10GB card, rather I'll wait to see what AMD bring to the table and potentially what the pricing the 3070 & 3080 super / ti varients with more VRAM release at.

Exactly 99% will be fine.

Yet we have all this moaning about extreme examples which don't affect the majority.

If you play flight simulator you also need 32GB of ram. The average gamer though only needs 16GB of ram.

I don't play flight sim. Should I be going out and buying 32GB of ram because one in a thousand needs it?

No because that is stupid.

I also will be fine with 10GB of vram.

If you aren't okay with that then go buy the 3090 it's literally pointless moaning in here. Moaning will get you nowhere here or in life go do something about it. Go buy the 3090 or quit moaning.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Exactly 99% will be fine.

Yet we have all this moaning about extreme examples which don't affect the majority.

If you play flight simulator you also need 32GB of ram. The average gamer though only needs 16GB of ram.

I don't play flight sim. Should I be going out and buying 32GB of ram because one in a thousand needs it?

No because that is stupid.

I also will be fine with 10GB of vram.

If you aren't okay with that then go buy the 3090 it's literally pointless moaning in here. Moaning will get you nowhere here or in life go do something about it. Go buy the 3090 or quit moaning.
On this point we agree :D

That said I recently ordered 32GB of RAM due to finding it 25% cheaper than usual, won’t be as good timings and only 3600MHz, but at 4K I don’t think it will make a difference. I will be playing Flight Sim 2020 and as a bonus it may come in handy on future games. But yeah, on 99% of games 16gb is plenty fine still.

Associate
It goes to show just how bad the Turing release was when people are so short sighted when it comes to future proofing. 10GB vram will not be enough for next gen games, and next gen is just around the corner.

And also how poor value they were when people think £650 is a low price for a graphics card.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It goes to show just how bad the Turing release was when people are so short sighted when it comes to future proofing. 10GB vram will not be enough for next gen games, and next gen is just around the corner.

And also how poor value they were when people think £650 is a low price for a graphics card.
Feel free, buy a 3090 then ;)

I will just lower texture one setting if need be, no big deal, usually it is hard to see the difference anyways.

Caporegime
Yeah I have lowered quite a few settings to get minimum 165 FPS in apex legends. You can't really tell the difference in twitch online competitive shooters. I certainly don't look at shadows and the quality of the reflection in puddles in the middle of a firefight online.

There's a lot of settings you can lower and makes zero difference to your experience overall.

I don't game at 4k either so at 1440p I think I'll be fine.

Soldato

It's simply a matter of performance at a given price point. The 3080's price point is not new. I think the GTX 780 (non-ti) launched at $650 in 2013? Turing did virtually nothing to make GPU money go faster, but Ampere offers the fastest GPU dollars ever...and by a meaningful margin.

Soldato
It's in this thread go back and read it
No it's not. I linked back and found no direct quote from Nvidia stating it was a non-issue.
Which brings us back to what was originally asked of you.
Quote and link please.

As one reviewer published results...
Horizon Zero Dawn - 4K, GPU maxed at 99% (throttling), 9.9G Video Memory used, 76FPS average
And that's not peak either. But yeah, it's a non-issue /s
And we haven't seen open world next gen ray traced games yet either. Sony has a way to expose, lies.

And lets not get it twisted it's the only game revealed so far with this metric. But it still an important one none the less. As we peek into the "future of possibilities..."
:D

Last edited:
Associate
think I am going to wait for the inevitable 3080TI, I'm guessing in a about a year, maybe sooner if amd gives some good competition

this 1080TI i've got has been my best purchase for a long time

Soldato
That's just rediculous and how exactly am I moaning when I'm making what I feel is a legitimate point? If you're happy paying £650 for a graphics card that is clearly limited as to its longevity then go ahead and stop "moaning" when people disagree with you. Nvidia clearly recognise that the lack of VRAM will be an issue as they have cards waiting for release that have double the amount. They clearly want to counter the bad press they got with the rediculous pricing for next to no benefit they introduced with their last release and have admitted the only way they could do that is by restricting the amount of VRAM on the new cards. Anyone who agrees with my point of view does not have to "go buy a 3090" they just have to wait for the non gimped versions to be released, and / or see what AMD bring to the table.

Associate
Apparently Nvidia are trying to suppress the leaks, guess they were lying after all, looks like an actual avg. gain of 40-50% over the 1080Ti, not 70-80%.

Soldato
Apparently Nvidia are trying to suppress the leaks, guess they were lying after all, looks like an actual avg. gain of 40-50% over the 1080Ti, not 70-80%.

I seriously doubt they have a strategy to suppress benchmarks beyond the date the NDA lifts. They have to expect the full performance picture to come into view before people can buy them. And I doubt anyone expected Nvidia to show anything other than best-case benchmarks at the reveal.

Soldato
This is why we tell you to wait for reviews and wait to see what RDNA 2 offers. If you noticed the thread quite down as enthusiasm turned into sobriety.

Unless people intentionally avoid all tech forums and YouTube channels, there's almost no way not to have third party benchmarks before purchasing a 3000 series card.

Waiting on AMD is another issue. Nvidia laid some cards on the table and they look pretty good. AMD doesn't have to show their cards if they don't want to, but I'm not waiting on them.

Soldato
I believe he is referring to this.
Yes, we are aware of that which brings us to @PieEater rebuttal here.
Therefore the gist of all this is that Nvidia never said nor implied it was a non-issue. As I've already brought up here. As well as what PieEater already stated there are other games that they didn't include which does indeed create the need for more vram. Therefore, 10GB wasn't and isn't enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom