How much should I budget for a helmet?

Man of Honour
I booked my CBT today with a view to following Direct Access to get my full license (yay :D). I will need a helmet eventually so I would like to get it in advance of the CBT rather than use the training schools one. I don't want to spend a fortune because I will only be an occasional rider. But equally I don't want to scrimp when it comes to safety. So a £50 budget special is out of the question.

Is there a recommended price I should be looking at to get a good helmet? £200, £300? Thanks.

Man of Honour
Easily get something decent from Shark,AGV or another decent manufacturer for under £200. It won't be a Shoei or Arai but as long as it fits properly it'll be absolutely fine for occasional usage, I used a Shark for commuting many moons ago and I had no complaints I only changed it because I wanted something new and shiny.

Soldato
The fit is the more important factor.
I find Caberg and Nolan lids work well enough for the money and have used both for years, but neither of these are especially good fits for me compared to a Shoei.
Happily expensive Arai lids are also a crap fit for me.
Best option is to go round your local bike shops and try some lids on, see which work best for you, and then look at the price.

Associate
Agreed, best to try them on. Last year I had a budget of about £250 and when trying helmets on none in that price range fit very well. Even shoei which most people tend to find fit ended up putting to much pressure in my forehead.
Ended up spending double on an Aria.
Certainly wasn't my first choice but it was the only one which fit properly

Caporegime
Yep, fit is, most important. I found that HJC carers to my ridiculously large dome fairly well. An upgrade from that I'm looking at £600+ for a lid.

Associate
Thanks all. I will pay a visit to somewhere local to try them.
And when you do, don't be afraid to walk around the place for ten minutes or so wearing the lid. It will at least give a better idea than a quick on off. Decent places will understand and even suggest this.

Man of Honour
As said, go with what fits. Different manufacturers fit slightly differently. I don't know how its going to work trying it on with Covid?
Most shops just seem to make you put a thin balaclava on, or order from sports bike shop and try them on properly sending back the ones you don't want.

Man of Honour
OP
Sorry, another question. At my £200 to £300 price point is a flip up helmet worth consoldering or better to avoid? I do wear glasses and I understand they can be more convenient for this. But would a lot of the cost simply be going into the flip mechanism rather than comfort and safety?

For example, the Schubert C3 Pro seems a decent flip helmet (if it fits comfortably) and can be had for marginally over my original budget at £320 some places.

Soldato
Sorry, another question. At my £200 to £300 price point is a flip up helmet worth consoldering or better to avoid? I do wear glasses and I understand they can be more convenient for this. But would a lot of the cost simply be going into the flip mechanism rather than comfort and safety?

For example, the Schubert C3 Pro seems a decent flip helmet (if it fits comfortably) and can be had for marginally over my original budget at £320 some places.
Have a look for your closest helmet city store, they’ll price match as will Sports bike shop.

https://www.helmetcity.co.uk/contact-us#Stores

Caporegime
They're awesome. The cheapo ones can be rather heavy and cumbersome so as above, try some on and see how they fit. Remember when you try it on and you'll have it on for quite some time when riding so you need comfort. If it feels even remotely heavy, bail.

Man of Honour
OP
Have a look for your closest helmet city store, they’ll price match as will Sports bike shop.

https://www.helmetcity.co.uk/contact-us#Stores

Thanks. It was actually that online shop I saw it advertised on initially.

Yes, definitely consider.
I initially thought it a ridiculously geeky feature purely for the 'Ped boys, but having since used one I'd not be without it.

Thanks.

They're awesome. The cheapo ones can be rather heavy and cumbersome so as above, try some on and see how they fit. Remember when you try it on and you'll have it on for quite some time when riding so you need comfort. If it feels even remotely heavy, bail.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom