Lexus IS 250

Associate
I’ll add some details tomorrow but I think it’s an underrated car and it’s a great choice for normal driving yet can still be fun.

its a great choice, but fun it is not.. I sold it for that reason and got a Subaru, which also is reliable but the fun aspect is cranked up considerably.

Associate

The 2nd one, the others do not have Mark Levinson Sound nor HID lights, both are very desirable. The HID lights on the Lexus are excellent and they are also adaptive (turn the beam around bends)

Good luck with the viewing, they are fantastic value for a used car - make sure the service book checks out

Caporegime
if you read my post you will see you need to read between the lines...
have you seen the service history? nope
can we check the MOT history.. nope

until we can rule that out we don't know for sure and it might be possible to get it for £3k in cash... These Lexus IS250's are made to a much better standard than the crap sold from BMW and others nowadays.

Riiiiiiight, the two biggest selling points of a car are missing but we mustn't rule it out, despite it looking like it was driven by Stevie Wonder and maintained by Del Boy.

You crack on mate, it's a hard pass for me thanks, regardless of what brand it is.

Caporegime
In fairness at 3K it is probably sufficiently cheaper than the tidier ones to be worth a punt and then give it whatever it needs, but that doesn't make it not a shed in its current condition.

3700 though (with the daft admin fee) nah.

Caporegime
I emailed the seller and asked for the reg as the one in the pics doesn't return any results. Naturally I got the "please call us to discuss" reply so told them if they can't answer such a simple question then I'll be taking my fictitious business elsewhere.

That car's flags have got flags, I'd be running a mile.

Then again it's a fantastic solid car which has likely just had a little stumble in life and we mustn't rule it out... Or something.

Associate
Riiiiiiight, the two biggest selling points of a car are missing but we mustn't rule it out, despite it looking like it was driven by Stevie Wonder and maintained by Del Boy.

You crack on mate, it's a hard pass for me thanks, regardless of what brand it is.

I have bought used cars since the 90s and had only 1 lemon - a CL55 AMG which was sold with a dud MOT - I got my £10k back, otherwise i could have taken the dealer to court for doing dodgy MOTs

It matters what brand when you are talking about Lexus, I have had a few of them - don't know about you. They are made much better than usual tripe people get like Vauxhall's and French cars. They can take some abuse and i wouldn't write it off from alloys and mixed tyres.

Associate
I emailed the seller and asked for the reg as the one in the pics doesn't return any results. Naturally I got the "please call us to discuss" reply so told them if they can't answer such a simple question then I'll be taking my fictitious business elsewhere.

That car's flags have got flags, I'd be running a mile.

Then again it's a fantastic solid car which has likely just had a little stumble in life and we mustn't rule it out... Or something.

could well be the case, but its a private plate. I had a Lexus like that exactly and had a private plate too, it was on it when I purchased - it would not show up on MOT checks etc, you need the original reg. If it had a reasonable service history i would make a cheeky punt @ £3k, admin fees i would tell them **** off.!

Soldato
Just needs a clean and wheel refurb. You could try and knock that off the price, or spend a bit more on a clean one :)

They aren't fun cars, but they don't break and Lexus themselves are nicer to deal with than BMW etc.

Don't worry about the miliage. It takes about 60k miles just to fully run them in :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Associate
£3k for that tatty one looks a bargain so...like i said dont judge a book by its cover - assuming you can get for such a low price,

I would be tempted to get this one and get the wheels sorted - its fully loaded with everything

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202008182632135?price-to=4500&radius=1500&price-from=3500&make=LEXUS&advertising-location=at_cars&sort=price-asc&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&model=IS 250&postcode=l44el&page=1

My 2nd choice would be this but will cost £2k more

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202009023211759?

Associate
Just needs a clean and wheel refurb. You could try and knock that off the price, or spend a bit more on a clean one :)

They aren't fun cars, but they don't break and Lexus themselves are nicer to deal with than BMW etc.

Don't worry about the miliage. It takes about 60k miles just to fully run them in :D

BMWs are ****, I had to get a new locking nut and went to Lexus hedge end - sat down on nice leather couch, fresh coffee and refreshments, free car wash and good to go. I don't even think they charged me for a replacement lock nut

Soldato
Not exactly fair to say that BMWs are **** is it.. Ok these Lexus are more reliable (but still nowhere near the durability of the 90s stuff), but the BMWs have driving dynamics that Lexus can't even dream of.

Soldato
BMWs are ****, I had to get a new locking nut and went to Lexus hedge end - sat down on nice leather couch, fresh coffee and refreshments, free car wash and good to go. I don't even think they charged me for a replacement lock nut

Toyota can be like that aswell. If its something cheap they dont bother charging anything. Though they did do about £500 of work for me out of warranty for free one time.

Associate
Not exactly fair to say that BMWs are **** is it.. Ok these Lexus are more reliable (but still nowhere near the durability of the 90s stuff), but the BMWs have driving dynamics that Lexus can't even dream of.

Sorry, BMWs have been crap for years - they are all mostly leased out anyway so 'owners' don't really care about upkeep and they are just thrown back to the forecourt for some sucker. They have been at the bottom of surveys for years, probably the last 10 years they have been in or around the bottom.

I would sooner buy than rough looking Lexus with dodge tyres over a fancy BMW any day of the week, I know it will have far less chance of c0cking up

subscribe to scotty kilmer on youtube, a veteran mechanic of 50 odd years - see what he thinks

GMbel85.jpg

Soldato
If you’re looking at four door cars, I would check the rear legroom on the IS. For an adult (I’m 6ft,1) I found it a squeeze, far more so than other comparable saloons.

That for me was the only downside with my ISF, my dad (6ft) and my mates would not have been overly comfortable in the back.

I never tried putting the baby seat in the back, but I know it wouldn’t have fitted behind me without adjusting my seat position.

Back
Top Bottom