Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
Looked up the Virgin site today after seeing roadworks completed. "You can get our Gig1".

I know this would never happen but I feel like in another world you could immediately inform your current provider that another provider has a speed that they simply cannot match and you sould be able to switch without any penalty cost or atleast a VERY reduced cancellation fee.

Soldato
Looked up the Virgin site today after seeing roadworks completed. "You can get our Gig1".

I know this would never happen but I feel like in another world you could immediately inform your current provider that another provider has a speed that they simply cannot match and you sould be able to switch without any penalty cost or atleast a VERY reduced cancellation fee.

No ISP is going to let you leave if your in contract without paying because someone else has come along with a quicker speed.

Soldato
Decided to go for Oomph at £86 for 18 months, hopefully that will give me M600 as soon as it becomes available and what with unlimited SIM and 2 x V6 Boxes with all channels it's not a bad deal tbh. I don't see BT making the investment here beyond FTTC now that we have Virgin in and working.

Soldato
If you are going for any Virgin package such as M100 do you need an engineer to physically be in your property?

In my case my place was pre-wired for Virgin and the previous owners had used it and then moved to Sky 4 years prior to me moving in however, the Virgin termination points were too old and they were replaced by the visiting engineer on the day, the engineer also needed to make changes at the roadside cabinet then test them end-to-end before i could be up and running.

Soldato
Decided to go for Oomph at £86 for 18 months, hopefully that will give me M600 as soon as it becomes available and what with unlimited SIM and 2 x V6 Boxes with all channels it's not a bad deal tbh. I don't see BT making the investment here beyond FTTC now that we have Virgin in and working.
I've had the Oomph package for 6 months and since I've had it I've had 690 Mb/s download. Having the two TIVO boxes has also saved my marriage. ;)

Soldato
I can't wait to leave VM. On business and gone through my 5th router now in 18 months.

After 24 hours you can't log into it. Just constant spinning wheel when u put the ip address in. Got my own router and put it in modem mode but was getting half download speeds for the last week so IT support factory reset it last night.

Fixed the speed issue but can't get into the router again now to put it back to modem mode.

Got an engineer out 8am - 12. Never have i had to contact it support as much with VM business.

Soldato
Been a while since I have been here. I think we're on a 300 something Mbps with tv and calls. Speaking with stepdad atm we're paying £125 which seems a bit high IMO. I am looking around for better deals. I think we might have got the highest package at the time although speeds are a bit slow in this day and age so looking around.

Soldato
Been a while since I have been here. I think we're on a 300 something Mbps with tv and calls. Speaking with stepdad atm we're paying £125 which seems a bit high IMO. I am looking around for better deals. I think we might have got the highest package at the time although speeds are a bit slow in this day and age so looking around.

Some peeps have been getting Ultimate Oomph 12 month deal for around £100pm. That includes 2 boxes, all premium channel unlocks (excluding things like MUTV) unlimited SIM, 500mbps with a complimentary upgrade to 600mbps.

Permabanned

As mentioned above worth getting hold of retentions/arguing if possible. I eventually got the ultimate oomph discounted for less than 100.

Soldato
Seen a cracking deal in Carphone/Currys for new customers ultimate oomph so all the channels (bt/sky sports and sky cinema) 600m broadband, 2 boxes 1 unlimited sim £100 credit and £150 Currys gift card for £79pm

Soldato
As the other folks have said your are paying way too much for what you have. I was previously paying £31.50 for 350Mb BB only but when my contract was up I then moved to the Ultimate Oomph which at the time was £78/month plus I did it through TopCashBack and just got back £200 which in effect brings it down to ~£61 /month. It's worked out pretty good as I've been getting ~690 Mb/s download since it's been installed.

I previously had SkySports and BTSports separately and even though I got those on good deals I was still paying ~£100 in total inc broadband. I strongly suggest you at least do some bartering with VM or cancel the contract and re-sign up in a different name. I suspect you can get deals for half of what you are paying. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom