• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
Yep, why i'm holding out for a bit.
However I am tempted to try and get a 3080 at launch. If I do manage to get one then great. If all the hype is true, sell my 2080Ti which still has loads of warranty and keep the 3080. If it is just hype then sell the 3080
I understood when I got my 2080ti I would stand to lose money on it but did get quite a good deal. £825 for hardly used EVGA which I then paid for a 5 year warranty on top of that

2080ti will hold their resale value only if stocks of 3080's are low. So you could be in for a surprise as I expect no matter what quantity sellers have they will sell out quickly if like youtube videos of the cards are hitting millions of views. The anticipation is massive and there will be a lot of bulging pockets with the cash waiting.

Associate
Sorry, but what a load of tosh.

An unlocked 2080ti, despite an architectural change and reduction in fab size? If we're going by that logic then a 1080ti is an unlocked version of my 970 :rolleyes:

The power draw? Of course it's going to use more power, it's a bigger die for starters and uses GDDR6X memory, which whilst more efficient on a per-bit basis, uses more power as its outright faster than GDDR6.

The performance metrics are all conjecture at this point, no one outside of Nvidia and those under NDA have any idea how well the card will perform. Their quoted figures of performance may well not stand up to heavily overclockers Turing cards, but then the Turing cards that are heavily overclockered are going well beyond the stock power draw in the first place so it's really a moot point.

How is it a moot point when the 3080 already draws 320 w and an overclocked power unlocked modded 2080ti draws you guessed it 320w.

Sounds the same to me.

And it is a bigger die but you seem to be forgetting it's also a smaller fab or does that not matter anymore.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
How is it a moot point when the 3080 already draws 320 w and an overclocked power unlocked modded 2080ti draws you guessed it 320w.

Sounds the same to me.

And it is a bigger die but you seem to be forgetting it's also a smaller fab or does that not matter anymore.
And you're missing my point that it uses more power through the upgraded memory? And that's also glazing over the fact the FP32 throughput is essentially doubled due the change in SM core design. There's an awful lot of new stuff going on with the Ampere cards, it's almost like comparing apples to oranges. That's why they're so power hungry. Anyone that can't grasp that is either incredibly short-sighted, or bitter that their potential residual value in Turing has plummeted. Turing was always a proof of concept, it was always going to have to factor in higher development costs. Early adopters always pay more, that's how the technology world works.

Caporegime
lets see monday when reviews and benchmarks come out.. yes they was never worth 1k in the first place but to sell at 400-500 quid going on nvidia slide charts without waiting for proper reviews :confused:
Used 2080 Ti prices will drop, for good, to below 3070 prices when the superior Ampere floods the market, and anyone with sense sold for top dollar a month or two ago and recouped a lot of their costs. This is so obvious that it shouldn't need repeating.

Associate
And you're missing my point that it uses more power through the upgraded memory? And that's also glazing over the fact the FP32 throughput is essentially doubled due the change in SM core design. There's an awful lot of new stuff going on with the Ampere cards, it's almost like comparing apples to oranges. That's why they're so power hungry. Anyone that can't grasp that is either incredibly short-sighted, or bitter that their potential residual value in Turing has plummeted. Turing was always a proof of concept, it was always going to have to factor in higher development costs. Early adopters always pay more, that's how the technology world works.

There is a lot going on for RT and that's great but when it's the minority in titles for now it's irrelevant as far as I'm concerned, it is the future yes but not yet.

I don't own a 2080ti I'm still on the 1080ti and still contemplating whether it's going to be for me or not.

And yes I know there will be lots of annoyed 2080ti users especially who paid full whack recently, you'd have to be stupid to have bought one recently but each to their own.

Personally I don't care what tech is going on in the die, I'm more interested in what the final FPS is on screen without dlss and without RT.

But Monday will tell all whether it really is twice as fast as 2080, I'm willing to bet even that will be a struggle to maintain twice as fast as a 2080 nevermind the supers and the ti.

From benchmarks I've already seen it's at best around 20% over a 2080ti in regular titles, but that's a stock 2080ti not power unlocked.

Considering it's supposedly next gen I'd say that's run of the mill performance we've been getting year after year after year other than Pascal which I upgraded to.

Caporegime
But Monday will tell all whether it really is twice as fast as 2080, I'm willing to bet even that will be a struggle to maintain twice as fast as a 2080 nevermind the supers and the ti.
As far as I understand how it is being marketed, it's up to 2x faster than a 2080 (potentially a bit more at 4k with RT, DLSS etc). It's not going to be 2x faster in every application.

Associate
As far as I understand how it is being marketed, it's up to 2x faster than a 2080 (potentially a bit more at 4k with RT, DLSS etc). It's not going to be 2x faster in every application.

That's how I see it and it's not going to, the fact Nvidia even says up to are leaving a little eye opener for people to listen and understand not to mention they generally over state when marketing as well says it all really.

Soldato
There is a lot going on for RT and that's great but when it's the minority in titles for now it's irrelevant as far as I'm concerned, it is the future yes but not yet.

I don't own a 2080ti I'm still on the 1080ti and still contemplating whether it's going to be for me or not.

And yes I know there will be lots of annoyed 2080ti users especially who paid full whack recently, you'd have to be stupid to have bought one recently but each to their own.

Personally I don't care what tech is going on in the die, I'm more interested in what the final FPS is on screen without dlss and without RT.

From benchmarks I've already seen it's at best around 20% over a 2080ti in regular titles, but that's a stock 2080ti not power unlocked.

Considering it's supposedly next gen I'd say that's run of the mill performance we've been getting year after year after year other than Pascal which I upgraded to.

Well for me, on a 980ti, it's like christmas. Until now the only thing worth buying was a 2070s (circa 50% faster) at about £450, but for £650 I can now have a card that is nearly twice as fast again, and has a few more bells and whistles to boot. If you're on a 1080ti, well it still sounds like a good deal, assuming everything is true.

Roll on monday

Associate
Used 2080 Ti prices will drop, for good, to below 3070 prices when the superior Ampere floods the market, and anyone with sense sold for top dollar a month or two ago and recouped a lot of their costs. This is so obvious that it shouldn't need repeating.
You seem confident with no proper reviews out yet. You say prices will drop below 3070 prices? but what happens when they is a massive shortage of stock with the 3070 / 3080 you saying the 2080ti won't rise in price? I like your theories on everything

Associate
Well for me, on a 980ti, it's like christmas. Until now the only thing worth buying was a 2070s (circa 50% faster) at about £450, but for £650 I can now have a card that is nearly twice as fast again, and has a few more bells and whistles to boot. If you're on a 1080ti, well it still sounds like a good deal, assuming everything is true.

Roll on monday

Yep defo from a 980ti if the prices stay in check is a great time to upgrade definitely.

Would be for me but waiting for clarification first on what it can do in 4k without RT and without DLSS.

Definitely roll on Monday.

Caporegime
No that's incorrect.

The 3080 Is around 40 percent faster than the 2080 ti

Is it though? A lot of that assumption is based on the 3080 being up to 100% faster than a 2080 in Doom Eternal and then because a 2080ti is 35 to 40% faster than a 2080, people have assumed the 3080 will be 40-50% faster than a 2080ti.

In that doom eternal video where there are not comparing to a gimped 2080 which is slower than a 1080ti at the settings Nvidia used, the 3080 at stock is only 10-20% faster than a stock 2080ti and once the 2080ti is overclocked there is no gain in framerates between the two.

So the only speed advantage from a 3080 will be down to how much it overclocks from stock.

So I am waiting for the proper reviews as if the 3080 turns out to be a poor overclocker (Asus are only going for a miserly 5% overclock on their top of the range strix OC card) then the gap between the 3080 and the 2080ti in most games could be as little as 10%.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Just had a look at the Firestrike Ultra scores. Assuming those numbers are accurate, at least the gap is bigger than 2070S to 2080Ti (at 4K which is what I game at) and people were paying like £700 or more for that extra performance. I will be getting the whole card for cheaper. Glad I skipped turing :D

Got to love what the put the source as at the bottom of the page :D

Source: Jensen’s laptop

Back
Top Bottom