Pret "unlimited" coffee

Soldato
I would get this if I was back in the office, quite a good deal even if the Pret coffee isn't great ( slightly better than Costa but worse than Starbucks and Nero IMO)

Permabanned
Just because it's cheaper than the previous overpriced cost, doesn't necessarily mean it's OK value, that's the whole DFS marketing strategy! (buy this £300 sofa for £500 instead of the £1,000 we previously advertised it for...)

Considering I can get a bag of coffee beans which lasts 6 cups a day for over a month for £14, yes, yes they were (of course, you pay for the "service" etc. but it's still a significant markup for mediocre coffee)

You need to take into account how much will it cost you to go home and make a coffee?
How much is your time worth? Etc..

Soldato
You need to take into account how much will it cost you to go home and make a coffee?
How much is your time worth? Etc..

Why would I need to go home? I have an aeropress at the office and an almost-but-not-quite-boiling water tap, it takes less than 5 minutes from leaving my desk to get back to it with a freshly made coffee, compared to the 10 minute drive into town, finding somewhere to park, walking to the coffee shop, waiting in the queue, waiting for the coffee, walking back to the car, driving back to the office...

The coffee shop would literally have to be in the same building for it to be any quicker.

WFH is even better, I go downstairs, push the button the machine, wait 30 seconds, grab coffee and come back upstairs.

Soldato
OP
how is it unlimited if there is a limit of 5 a day?

Well, I don't think they call it unlimited anymore, it was initially just a trail in Manchester called "pret unlimited".

But think of what could happen if it was unlimited, "Man takes Pret to court due to heart attack caused by them allowing him as much coffee as he wanted"

Soldato
Why would I need to go home? I have an aeropress at the office and an almost-but-not-quite-boiling water tap, it takes less than 5 minutes from leaving my desk to get back to it with a freshly made coffee, compared to the 10 minute drive into town, finding somewhere to park, walking to the coffee shop, waiting in the queue, waiting for the coffee, walking back to the car, driving back to the office...

The coffee shop would literally have to be in the same building for it to be any quicker.

WFH is even better, I go downstairs, push the button the machine, wait 30 seconds, grab coffee and come back upstairs.

Well if you work in the middle of nowhere this is obviously not for you, but for the vast majority of professionals who work in a city it's really not terrible.

If you like Pret coffee and have a "normal" city job, this is a very decent deal.

Caporegime
Bottled mineral water surely trumps that.

Looks like it, in the region of 4000% for 'fancier' water like Evian, I just forgot as I don't ever buy bottle water.

Cinema popcorn average markup = 2000%
Starbucks coffee markup = roughly 1200%

Apparently the worst markups are actually high-end wine and branded pharma, but those aren't as ubiquitous as the above examples.

Also, before anyone tries to 'AKSHUALLY!' me, I'm not factoring other overheads that obviously play in to actual profit margins, just more of a 'base ingredient' comparison if you were to make these things are home.

Back
Top Bottom