Internal damp issue near front door

Soldato
Hi guys

i got a problem near my front door and it looks like a damp issue

these are the pictures:

I reckon that sand cement is causing an issue that is on the outside of the door frame.

Even when we had a heatwave it was still damp there, i dont believe more rain or less has made a difference here.

what would be the best way to fix this?
Bit worried as my main house wires are getting close to this damp!

Thanks

Soldato
Looks like rain and/or any humidity can get in behind the mortar. I'd be looking at getting a tradesman over to dig out that mortar and do it properly. Wouldn't expect it to cost much.

Soldato
OP
A trademan has advised me of this:

Remove mortar
Paint with black jack
Fill with expander foam
Paint black jack over
Then put some mastic or something similar on top.

he reckons that the mortar is a weak point that is drawing in the moisture.

Does that sound like a good solution to anyone?

Soldato
OP
Silicone sealant essentially...
But the gap is very big so i am not sure what i could put on top?

i took all of the sand cement out today it was hard work that was solid

i see a difference in brick colours where the damp is compared to higher up

I think the adjacent wall has a damp issue and it is penetrating through to my front door

I have decided to leave open for now and see if the area dries out while the weather is good.

Permabanned
You can seal mortar against ingress of moisture. Thompsons Water Seal is the type of product you are looking for. I can't see if there is a silicon seal between the mortar and the door. Assuming there isn't, then unclip that cable, waterseal the mortar. Give it a few coats. Wait 24 hours. Seal the gap between the mortar and the door with a bead of silicon. Ta daaaa! All done. Will last five years. Give it another coat of waterseal every now and then and it will last forever.

Soldato
OP
You can seal mortar against ingress of moisture. Thompsons Water Seal is the type of product you are looking for. I can't see if there is a silicon seal between the mortar and the door. Assuming there isn't, then unclip that cable, waterseal the mortar. Give it a few coats. Wait 24 hours. Seal the gap between the mortar and the door with a bead of silicon. Ta daaaa! All done. Will last five years. Give it another coat of waterseal every now and then and it will last forever.

yep That sounds like the same thing as black jack dpm paint

There was a seal silicone one but potentially that made the issue worse. It is all taken off now Thanks to my trusty drill
That mortar was solid!

Only 1 day in so far, I will give the inside a nice dust down later on and then I will see if there is any difference on the wall over the next 7/10days
Hope it does not rain though fingers crossed

Soldato
Avoid Thompsons water seal they have removed some chemicals and it is no were near as effect (google recent reviews) I'm only saying this after searching my self for a sealer

Permabanned
Avoid Thompsons water seal they have removed some chemicals and it is no were near as effect (google recent reviews) I'm only saying this after searching my self for a sealer

I wish I could remember the name of the company I get mine from. They make several different grades, each with a different time guarantee. The most you can get I think is ten years. I know they have a website, but can't for the life of me remember their name.

Associate
Mmm all this talk of Black Jack, Expanding Foam and Water Seal... *Shudders*

Leave it dry out for a bit and pick up a tub of Bostik Cementone Rapid Setting cement 10kg and a 3 piece Edging Trowel Set, it's great for repair work like this and is completely waterproof when set. It will last much longer than any of the other suggestions and I'm sure it will keep the damp out if that's where the issue is coming from. I've used it on leaking doors with penetrating ground water and around windows with great success, the only thing I'd say is it come's out a little darker than normal cement due to the waterproofer they use. It's only a small tub of cement but so useful for these sorts of jobs.

Tips from experience: don't just add the water straight to the tub of cement as it will be a nightmare to mix and it will start setting before you even apply it, take the powder out and add it gradually to the tub of water - it might even be worth doing two small mixes so you can take your time. The edging trowel set will make your life so much easier and produce a better finish, get your muck on one of the larger trowels and drive it into the gap with the mini one.

Soldato
OP
Mmm all this talk of Black Jack, Expanding Foam and Water Seal... *Shudders*

Leave it dry out for a bit and pick up a tub of Bostik Cementone Rapid Setting cement 10kg and a 3 piece Edging Trowel Set, it's great for repair work like this and is completely waterproof when set. It will last much longer than any of the other suggestions and I'm sure it will keep the damp out if that's where the issue is coming from. I've used it on leaking doors with penetrating ground water and around windows with great success, the only thing I'd say is it come's out a little darker than normal cement due to the waterproofer they use. It's only a small tub of cement but so useful for these sorts of jobs.

Tips from experience: don't just add the water straight to the tub of cement as it will be a nightmare to mix and it will start setting before you even apply it, take the powder out and add it gradually to the tub of water - it might even be worth doing two small mixes so you can take your time. The edging trowel set will make your life so much easier and produce a better finish, get your muck on one of the larger trowels and drive it into the gap with the mini one.

thanks

it actually has only been 2 days since I removed the mortar

potentially it actually looks a bit worse the area

mmm got me thinking that the problem might be elsewhere it is basically when two walls meet each other at the edge

the bricks on that wall are actually bubbling up white paint but I did get dpc injections 3/4 years back on that wall
Perhaps I could easily remove that paint and let it dry out?

I guess a watched pot never boils for now

Soldato
OP
Bit of a stretch but you don`t have any pipework near or buried in the plasterwork do you?

Nah no pipe work near there except underneath the main water pipe coming into the house approx 1-2 metres away, I have no loss of pressure.

the bricks on the outside are bubbling up though let me see if I can get a pic of them,

It looks like it is drying a bit more today than it has before.

Soldato
OP
those two walls meet each other and its at that point where the internal dampness is present right on the door frame.

I had dpc injections on that white wall around 4 years ago. That sand and cement at the bottom of the wall has really helped another internal damp issue I had
without it the wall was worse (I put another thread on about this on here)

now the issue is solely near the front door right up against that wooden door frame

Back
Top Bottom