• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Caporegime
Well I am expecting at least +80 +90 % of the 1080ti if it isn't then it's disappointing to say to the least considering this card is 3/ 1/12 years, I mean damn other than RT and dlss what's happened over the last 3 years, not a lot by the looks of it.

The way I see it now is they've now released a card comparable to a 2080ti maybe a little faster at a price it should have been in the first place re 2080ti.

I understand people have different GPUs and upgrade at different times but it's still looking hard to get rid of my 1080ti tbh.

Which is why i think Nvidia has concentrated on the RT and DLSS performance so much which is where the gap really starts to open up.

But there has only been what 13 RT and DLSS games so far. We need the majority of them to support both

Soldato
Anyone wanting Epic Megagames and Valve to remaster Unreal and Half life with full global illumination. They would look quite special
Unreal 1 was by far the best looking game of it's time andcripped machines even more than Crysis.

I remember only being able to play 'Dark match' at 10-15 fps :D The actual game was more like 0-5fps on my Cyrix machine with onboard graphics!

Associate
35.6% faster than a 2080ti in Firestrike Extreme
36.2% faster than a 2080ti in Timespy Extreme

Looks good to me and what you'd hope for given advancements in technology and a smaller process node. The games show a little less gains but it's a very small sample size at this stage.

33.3% faster Tomb Raider 4K
22.6% taster Tomb Raider 4K DLSS
22.7% faster FarCry 4K

Thanks for this. I noticed people were a bit confused that percentages don't work the same in both directions.

Associate
Which is why i think Nvidia has concentrated on the RT and DLSS performance so much which is where the gap really starts to open up.

But there has only been what 13 RT and DLSS games so far. We need the majority of them to support both

This is the problem, it is where the gap opens up but with such little software to support it in the near future it seems like while people think it's a good time to upgrade it also isn't because of the way the industry is going.

Would be a different case if all next new titles supported RT and DLSS but we know that's not going to be case, will take years to fully adapt, the new consoles will help but even then I still think the next gen console after the new one is where rasterization won't be as important anymore.

Soldato
I personally purchased a 2070 Super in May as I needed a new PC (didn't have one previously) Knowing that Ampere was soon I went for what I knew would get me adequate frames till the release, I was half expecting to have to spend £800+ and am pleasantly surprised with the £650 price tag and the massive performance boost I'll get.

Same card as i have and will be more than happy paying £650 for a 3080 with the performance jump over my 2070s.

Caporegime
This is the problem, it is where the gap opens up but with such little software to support it in the near future it seems like while people think it's a good time to upgrade it also isn't because of the way the industry is going.

Would be a different case if all next new titles supported RT and DLSS but we know that's not going to be case, will take years to fully adapt, the new consoles will help but even then I still think the next gen console after the new one is where rasterization won't be as important anymore.

Yeah i must admit I like shiny new things but the sensible part of me is think wait another year for the 20gb 3080ti to be out and there are more games which use/support RT/DLSS.

To a degree it was the same with the 2080ti. It offered RT and DLSS but we really havent seen too much use of all of that and the 2080ti really didnt have the power so for the majority of the last 2 years people have just had a small gain in rasterization performance of the 2080ti over a 1080ti.

You can easily fall into the same trap with the 3080 again and kid yourself that you are going to see 50%+ gains in RT and DLSS and then when you come round to upgrading again, you realise you have barely played any and most of your gains was only 20%.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah i must admit I like shiny new things but the sensible part of me is think wait another year for the 20gb 3080ti to be out and there are more games which use/support RT/DLSS.

To a degree it was the same with the 2080ti. It offered RT and DLSS but we really havent seen too much use of all of that and the 2080ti really didnt have the power so for the majority of the last 2 years people have just had a small gain in rasterization performance of the 2080ti over a 1080ti.

You can easily fall into the same trap with the 3080 again

Pretty much yes that's all 2080ti owners have had for the last 2 years over a 1080ti, couldn't agree more.

Yes and me too, love to have shiny new products and like you my sensible side seems to getting the better of me me this time lol.

Defo someone coming from a 980 or 980ti it's worth it just for rasterization alone knowing what the 1080ti can do, I know I upgraded from the 980ti to the 1080ti and was the last and best upgrade I ever did.

We maybe surprised on Monday with results we'll soon know but going off what I've seen I'm not too sure now, think it's been overestimated.

Soldato

You can easily fall into the same trap with the 3080 again

I think I may have been slightly disappointed at what's been available for RT & DLSS since 2080ti release 2 years ago if I had kept my 2080ti. I've played through Control & Shadow of the Tomb Raider and I guess if I had an RTX card I may have done all of Metro Exodus, BF5 campaign & Wolfenstein Youngblood, all of which I'll probably now do.

But it is only now, on release on ampere, that some of the games I've wanted to play the most are starting to have this tech within it with Cyberpunk and Watch Dogs Legion. Can imagine Cyberpunk is gonna be a long game full of loads of content and Watch Dogs should be decent length. Even without RT & DLSS I cannot tell you how excited I am to play these games - so for games like this to start supporting it is great and ideal time for me to jump in I think. And then I suppose there's other games coming out soon with it that pique my interest like COD & Dying Light 2.

Soldato
Not using the settings I used.

I get what you are saying because you are putting it at 16x instead of 8x and screen space contact from normal to high but honestly if you can truly show me in a screen shot at 4k the difference (I have a 4k monitor this end too) and keep them lossless etc and post them and tell me there is a difference then honestly you are pulling at straws. The ultra preset graphics are lower than what they have selected and you are the only person I know whom is running at 16x instead of well tbh 4x at UHD resolution because it is wasteful and not visually any different.

However if the 2080ti is still pulling those figures with what I would say is minimal difference at most then I still stand by the fact that I see the 3080 happily running the same settings as you have used and achieving 60fps average.

Associate
I cba to re-watch his video, but did JayZTwoCents say something about wanting to build his own system around a FE 3090. Normally he’s a huge water cooler junkie, right(?), so I’m reading into this that the cooling is on point with the 3080 FE.

Thought?

Man of Honour
I get what you are saying because you are putting it at 16x instead of 8x and screen space contact from normal to high but honestly if you can truly show me in a screen shot at 4k the difference (I have a 4k monitor this end too) and keep them lossless etc and post them and tell me there is a difference then honestly you are pulling at straws. The ultra preset graphics are lower than what they have selected and you are the only person I know whom is running at 16x instead of well tbh 4x at UHD resolution because it is wasteful and not visually any different.

However if the 2080ti is still pulling those figures with what I would say is minimal difference at most then I still stand by the fact that I see the 3080 happily running the same settings as you have used and achieving 60fps average.

It is not about differences.

I said the upcoming 3090 would not be able to run max settings and this is true.

The 3090 will be a great card for performance but people are overhyping what the new 3000 series can do.

Associate
I cba to re-watch his video, but did JayZTwoCents say something about wanting to build his own system around a FE 3090. Normally he’s a huge water cooler junkie, right(?), so I’m reading into this that the cooling is on point with the 3080 FE.

Thought?

i've been asking the same i've always personally never liked the FE versions but this time im like actually should I go for one. Its the not knowing what will be better at the moment, along with what looks to be not really that much performance gain with the after market cards.

People are talking about Monday have i missed something I didn't think the purchase date was until the 17th?

Back
Top Bottom