Whats with vegan leather ?

Soldato
But if you cant even have milk or cheese etc as a vegan which also doesn't take the life of an animal, that argument sort of goes out the window.

Fair point, the suffering caused by the need to be continually lactating is what puts vegans off milk I suppose rather than the killing of the animal. I don't fully get the arguments against honey however.

Is that caviar on the top? :p

Looks like it would be nice with some parma ham

It's a vegan caviar substitute made from kelp. You're right, some parma ham would be good. I'm certainly trying to eat a lot less meat and animal products and I'd say that because of that I'm actually eating better, more interesting food. Too many people think that the vegan diet is very restrictive, but once you realise that meat doesn't need to be the star then you can really make some great dishes. But like I said, I do still eat meat and animal products but not nearly as much as I did. And dare I say it but the aforementioned Greggs Vegan Sausage Roll is better than the 'normal' sausage roll. Though, it's even harder to get a warm one!

It is amazing how many junk vegan foods there are now, they didn't exist in nearly as huge numbers even a year ago. A vegan diet definitely isn't a synonym for healthy!

Associate
I’d never thought about oil not being vegan. I know a couple of people who’d really enjoy this being pointed out as they fill up their cars!!

Y'all have a very poor understanding of what 'vegan' actually means. Veganism is a philosophy where individuals abstain from products that treat animals as a commodity, particularly necessitating in animals' unnecessary suffering or death. Oil, even if made from animals (but actually comes from a significant majority of ancient plant matter), hasn't actually required any animal to be treated as a commodity or caused any tangible, direct suffering, hence is not considered non-vegan.

I totally agree. However it does kind of dilute your argument if you're one of the "meat is murder" etc. nutters who insist on vilifying anyone who isn't as far along the spectrum as you are. (interesting choice of words there :p)

I'm actually vegan myself, I just have more exceptions than some of the other vegans, e.g. milk, cheese, eggs, leather, all fine. I'll eat meat, but I do draw the line at eating live animals.

I don't think you understand what 'vegan' actually means. See above point. If you consume eggs, milk, use leather, by the very definition, you are not vegan.

But if you cant even have milk or cheese etc as a vegan which also doesn't take the life of an animal, that argument sort of goes out the window.

The entire dairy industry does take the life of animals. Almost half of all animals associated with the dairy industry are killed at birth. They're called males. Male chicks. Macerated at birth in a grinder. Male calves. Bolt gunned in the head at 1-2 days old. To believe dairy doesn't cause mass suffering and death is an industry-propogated miss information campaign that's resulted in your naivety.

Soldato
I don't think you understand what 'vegan' actually means. See above point. If you consume eggs, milk, use leather, by the very definition, you are not vegan.
By whose definition, exactly?
I just looked up what a vegan is and found there are several very different categories and classifications of vegan... and they squabble betwixt themselves almost as much as the Catholics and Protestants!!
Seriously, it's a constant battle of vegan-upmanship, out there. AMD vs Nvidia, AMD vs Intel, Apple vs Android, Apple vs Microsoft... They all got nothing on these nut-roasts!!

Soldato
Also the people in the manufacturing plant probably handled some meat before working on the product. So there is bound to be a few molecules in there..

Caporegime
I’d never thought about oil not being vegan. I know a couple of people who’d really enjoy this being pointed out as they fill up their cars!!

Ethical veganism is about reducing animal suffering to the most reasonable extent possible. Microorganisms cannot experience suffering. Comparing fossil fuels to living animals is absurd.

It won't last as long as real leather. None of the immitation stuff does.

On the contrary I've found synthetic riding gloves to be far more durable than leather which require regular oiling and waxing to stay in good shape.

I just looked up what a vegan is and found there are several very different categories and classifications of vegan... and they squabble betwixt themselves almost as much as the Catholics and Protestants!!
Seriously, it's a constant battle of vegan-upmanship, out there. AMD vs Nvidia, AMD vs Intel, Apple vs Android, Apple vs Microsoft... They all got nothing on these nut-roasts!!

Exactly. If you are a vegan for ethical reasons, i.e. you don't like killing or causing animal suffering you can still own chickens for example. It's not a black and white all or nothing situation.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

Think I mentioned it before but I was at a wedding do a couple of years ago and when it came to the catering they were going through all the different groups of different dietary type in turn including all these different takes on vegan, etc. and I just found the whole thing hilarious especially as some of them used to give me a bit of aggro about being a bit picky about my food.

Back
Top Bottom