New PC rig - circa £3k budget

Associate
Hi all
So I'm after a new PC rig, probably in October time.
I'd be after an ultrawide, possibly one of the 34inch Dell DW ones, which is about £900-1000.
So leaves me £2K for the actual PC.
Looking at the latest GPUs, either a 3080 or 3070 would be in order.
Otherwise, I'm not sure what else to get. CPU wise I'm not sure whether AMD or Intel is the way to go.
PC would be primarily for gaming, Total War, Anno 1800, all at max settings where possible.
I dont need RGBs or such, but would like something that runs quiet and cool.
I have a couple of SSDs and HDDs hanging around so other than something for the OS, I dont need much additional HDD.
Blu-ray burner would also come in handy.
Any thoughts anyone?

Thank you!

Soldato
Ryzen 4000 is released on the 8th October - so board should be minimum of B550, you can get the the Gigabyte ELITE for ~£150 - unless you feel you need the extra features of the X570.

The 3080 on release price would be great - especially if you have plans for FS20 - your budget will easily accommodate. The 3070 (2080Ti performance) is released mid-October.

The the big caveat being that supply/demand of these products are an unknown - especially with the 30 series, huge interest.

And with memory so cheap - 32GB 3600MHz Crucial Ballistix, tight timings, seems apt for your quality/budget.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks
Would I really need a 4000 series? Would not the 3000 series be sufficient? The board being b550 is that to accommodate the 4000 series?
What do you mean by FS20?
I suppose supply being stretched ill be deciding factor in what I can and cannot get.
thanks for your thoughts.
Any thoughts on case and cooling methods?

Associate
with new tech so close, i feel a lot of people are trying to hold out to november - christmas time to upgrade, i assume FS20 is the lastest flight simulator game which would be quite demanding on pc components

Soldato
Thanks
Would I really need a 4000 series? Would not the 3000 series be sufficient? The board being b550 is that to accommodate the 4000 series?
Yes and no.

Yes, in the fact that the 4000 series is the latest Gen, rumoured 15-17% increase in IPC. It's literally weeks away and the B550 is not only designed around the Zen 3 series but also has PCIe 4.0 - which is applicable to latest Gen cards i.e. soon to be released 30 Series and Big Navi.

No, in the fact that the 3700X would suffice if you can't wait but that's about the only argument - but why limit your options/power/future proof for a couple of weeks if you can wait?

I suppose supply being stretched ill be deciding factor in what I can and cannot get.
Yes, can't stress this enough - especially re: 30 series cards. As for the Zen 3 - initial release supply may not be an issue - but again no one can guarantee until launch. Covid has thrown too many spanners into the works and if it hiccups again supply could become an issue again - but the world is more prepared now. It's a wait and see...

Any thoughts on case and cooling methods?
With your budget - be-quiet mesh comes to mind. I prefer black silent boxes - i got the Pure Base 500 with an extra front intake and no Window; coupled with Dark Rock 4 and semi passive PSU and it's silent:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
What do you mean by FS20?
The new Microsoft Flight Sim - lots of upgrade requests because of its release (not played it - but looks interesting for a FS)​

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom