• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
It will be fine for a couple of years or more- i'll be using a 4080 by the time i notice any issues. As i managed to pre-order from A..zon yesterday morning (not cancelled yet) i don't care as i'll be straight onto their CS and get a refund anyway. Or maybe i'll do that in a few months if i fancy it anyway :D

Couple of years on 1080P/1440P sounds very boring to me. You'd be better off with one of the new consoles, at least they are 4k.

10GB VRAM is not enough for 4K, even today.

Soldato
i doubt they will, for what i gathered all youtubers think 10gb is fine

10GB is fine for 1080P and 1440P. It's absolutely not fine for 4K. Even today, several titles need more than 10GB for consistently smooth gameplay. The consoles are getting an upgrade from 8GB to 16GB RAM/VRAM this year, so it's common sense, even to small children, that VRAM requirements will increase going forward.

Soldato
The reviews will test the vram surely by presenting the 4k results? All they need do is find a game (modded or otherwise) that pushes vram usage.

I guess we will see in a few days if Nvidia prohibits the use of FS 2020 or some bs like that in the reviews

Are we to assume that no one will mod a game beyond 12, 16 or even 20gb of vram?

It sounds like any vram buffer of *any size* is just one mod or texture pack away from being blown out.

I don't see any way to prepair for that other than spending as much money as possible on the most vram you can buy....and just hope that someone doesn't develp a texture pack or mod that ruins your "investment".

Devolopers could also release the next "Crysis" kind of game that's simply just brutal on GPU's and kill "futireproof" cards that way.

All of our equipment will eventually not be enough to run the latest and greatest. With my 1080ti I ran out of GPU horspower before I even used 8gb of vram.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
10GB is fine for 1080P and 1440P. It's absolutely not fine for 4K. Even today, several titles need more than 10GB for consistently smooth gameplay. The consoles are getting an upgrade from 8GB to 16GB RAM/VRAM this year, so it's common sense, even to small children, that VRAM requirements will increase going forward.
I don’t buy this, there is a handful of titles at best that would choke and stutter today at most. And that is because they are run on say nightmare ultra instead of nightmare texture. You compare the two textures and you need a magnifying glass to see the difference in still pictures, let alone when playing. It’s only a problem when you are a part of the must have on maximum or not worth playing camp, even if the difference between max and one lower is barely visible.

I will wait and see what reviewers say to determine how bad the situation is for sure. But I am confident I will get by just fine for the next 18-24 months on 10gb.

I am not defending 10gb, I wanted to see more myself, but to say 10gb is not enough today is not true imo.

Soldato
OP
1440p@144 with maxed settings and m&kb sounds much nicer than 4k@30 with console settings and a crappy gamepad.
Yep I can afford a 4k screen but choose not to get one for gaming, frame rates will certainly not be there for those who prefer it with high refresh rates. For games like Cyberpunk high chance I'd bet on it.

Who cares if consoles get 4k when the majority of demanding stuff is likely to be 30fps, and as you stated I much prefer keyboard and mouse to a controller, sure they are good for certain games but not shooters for one which I mostly play anyway.

Caporegime

Isn't ram shared on consoles?

Or are you telling me they will run fine on less than 2GB of ram for the os, apps and games and dedicate 14gb to the gpu?

If thats what you think then maybe worth doing some more research into consoles ram requirements and set up.

Soldato
1440p@144 with maxed settings and m&kb sounds much nicer than 4k@30 with console settings and a crappy gamepad.

? The new consoles (the £500 ones) run 4k60 - not 4k30. Think you're thinking of the PS4 pro or something, which is the current gen.

Besides, for PC gamers, 4K60 is already achievable in almost all games on a 2080ti. With the 3080/3090/RDNA2, we'll see 4K 120Hz panels get some action. Can't wait to play at more than 100FPS on my CX48!

Soldato
OP
Couple of years on 1080P/1440P sounds very boring to me. You'd be better off with one of the new consoles, at least they are 4k.
So you say this and then:
Can't wait to play at more than 100FPS on my CX48!
Which has similar pixel density to a smaller 1440p monitor..

maxresdefault.jpg

Plus no chance I'd bet of getting anywhere near 100FPS in Cyberpunk at 4k and similarly demanding games, but each to his own

Associate
Isn't ram shared on consoles?

Or are you telling me they will run fine on less than 2GB of ram for the os, apps and games and dedicate 14gb to the gpu?

If thats what you think then maybe worth doing some more research into consoles ram requirements and set up.

The new Xbox, IIRC has effectively 10GB set up for graphics, and of the remaining 6Gb 1.5 is reserved for the OS. Games will be able to use more/less than the 10, but most likely won't, and 4.5 for the game code seems limited enough already.

So you're right "the consoles have 16!" is not a great argument.

Associate
? The new consoles (the £500 ones) run 4k60 - not 4k30. Think you're thinking of the PS4 pro or something, which is the current gen.
AC Valhalla and demon's souls already confirmed 4k/30, I'm sure most other games will be too. New ratchet and clank has a 60fps mode which reduces the resolution. Console devs always, always push graphics/resolution over framerate. Hear the same thing ever generation - 60fps this time and never happens

60fps on non demanding games like cod sure.

Soldato
Here is something interesting. Assassins Creed Valhalla on the XsX promises 4K/60!!!

Now, I want to see how they do that and I'm sure that Digitial Foundry will do a microscopic comparisons between console/PC. But if the differences are that minut that would be a big eye opener. Now the question remains if there will be any ray tracing in the game for console or not? So far I've not read any. Another interesting tidbit to know how much memory is being used to achieve this on console vs pc.

https://www.windowscentral.com/assassins-creed-valhalla-runs-4k-60-xbox-series-x-ubisoft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom