What book are you reading...

Soldato
Well those 3 authors are all a good start. Lightbringer is better than Weeks earlier stuff though. Lawrence and Sanderson are both incredibly consistent and have a number of good series. Mistborn might be a good starting point for Sanderson and The Broken Empire for Lawrence
Thank you, might have a look.

Commissario
Re-reading the Larry Niven Ringworld series. I'd clearly forgotten a few things!
I reread most of his "known space" books a few years ago (including some of the novella's I'd never read before), and really enjoyed them, especially as it was the first time in 10+ years for most of them and I was picking up all sorts of bits I'd missed/forgotten and comments/references to the stories I'd not read before made sense.

Second book in to The Collapsing Empire trilogy by John Scalzi. Very accessible sci-fi, ploughed through the first book in no time. Bit space opera, few funny moments and some good twists. Really enjoying it.

He's one of my favourite current authors*, the Collapsing Empire series is really good fun and I love some of the characters (Kiva is great).

If you've not read them his Lock in/Head On books are very good (there is also a short story that is set before them basically telling the story of the Haden virus), whilst the Old Man's War series is fun action sci-fi:)

I'm currently alternating between various "light novels" that had anime based on them (they're very fast/easy reads and I often find myself muttering "these are bad, but so fun"), and rereading Ann Leckie Ancillary/Imperial Radch books which are really good, basically the story of a member of the military of a multi world civilisation that realises something is wrong and starts to to take action on it's own (I'm trying not to say anything that could be a spoiler), it's great.
Raven's Tower which is her non Radch book is strange but also extremely good, it's told from a viewpoint you don't really expect).

I'm tempted to reread Peter F Hamilton's "Salvation" books ready for the final one in the Trilogy which is due out in about 8 weeks, as he's another of my favourite authors (I was so excited to see one of his shorts when it was made into one of the "love, death and robots" episodes on netflix).
He had a habit of making some truly huge theatres for his stories, often set across multiple worlds and decades, if not millennia (his Prime dualogy ended up being the start of 3 separate but linked stories), and a cast of characters that could give GOT a run for it's money.

*Which means he'll probably end up dying in a freak burrito related accident soon (my favourite authors seem to have a habit of dying a couple of years after I realise they're my favourites).

Underboss
Fever Pitch, Nick Hornby

Being an Arsenal fan I loved the film but think I'm missing something with the book.

Hard going at the moment but will persist.

Thanks for the recommendations @Werewolf, I shall most definitely be adding them to the list. At the rate I'm going through The Collapsing Empire they're most needed!

Kiva is a fantastic character, Nadashe Nohampton is starting to come into her own as well as the second book has progressed. Hoping she becomes a formidable antagonist in the third book!

Man of Honour
and rereading Ann Leckie Ancillary/Imperial Radch books which are really good, basically the story of a member of the military of a multi world civilisation that realises something is wrong and starts to to take action on it's own (I'm trying not to say anything that could be a spoiler), it's great.
Raven's Tower which is her non Radch book is strange but also extremely good, it's told from a viewpoint you don't really expect).

If you enjoy the Leckie books can I recommend "A Memory Called Empire" by Arkady Martine. It has just won the Hugo, and stands a good chance of the Nebula as well. I think it's the first of a series, but it is standalone - no annoying cliff-hangers.

Also I thought Raven's Tower was OK, but not great. I'll say what I often say though: I don't know which gender writes the best fantasy (cue flames) but women write the original ones. And I'll give her at least 9/10 for the book not being the first of a series.

Soldato
About halfway through Children of Ruin, the sequel to Children of Time and frankly, i'm pretty bored with it.

The first book was compelling and could barely put it down, the whole portid/spider evolution was fascinating. While this second book is more of the same, i'm just not enjoying it from the perspective of octopi and the other humans.

The chapters focused on Portia and the spider ship are great, the rest of it i'm finding quite tedious...very disappointed.

Soldato
Stick with it, it's got an interesting and (IMO) thought-provoking resolution.

I'm reading "Devolution" by Max "World War Z" Brooks. It's kind of a written version of a found footage movie but in a good way. Enjoying it so far (35% through it). Interested to see how he deals with the premise (Bigfoot destroys town).

Commissario
Glad you enjoyed them:)
Scalzi is one of my current favourite authors partly because of that sort of thing, and I just like his characters :)

Apparently he's got a sequel to "The dispatcher" out now, which i'll probably pick up in a week or two - I would get it now, but i've not listened to the first one yet:p

Associate
I'm still on bloody Wheel of Time 6, Lord of Chaos. About 4 chapters left. For the most part, this one's been a load of rubbish. I feel like 300 pages at least could have been cut. I think I'd happily read a book just about Thom, Mat and Juilen.

Soldato
I'm still on bloody Wheel of Time 6, Lord of Chaos. About 4 chapters left. For the most part, this one's been a load of rubbish. I feel like 300 pages at least could have been cut. I think I'd happily read a book just about Thom, Mat and Juilen.

The middle books of WoT are an absolute slog, it's one of the main reasons I doubt I'll ever re-read the series despite it being genuinely brilliant at times.

I don't think they really start to improve again until Knife of Dreams, which I believe was the last book Jordan wrote entirely by himself. The last 2-3 books where Sanderson takes the helm feel much more focused and enjoyable, I think Jordan suffered from trying to do too much while unfortunately not having enough time to do it.

Commissario
I'll add those to the list!

What would you recommend? Old Man's War series next, or The Dispatcher 1+2?
I've not read the Dispatcher, but the OMW series is good and a fairly quick read that deliberately borrows a fair bit from the likes of Starship Troopers but progresses as the series goes on and he's quite willing to experiment, as one of the books in the series tells some of what happens earlier from the view point of a secondary character, and another two are from the perspectives of other characters including one that is a series of short stories that are lined to what has been going on.

Soldato
About halfway through Children of Ruin, the sequel to Children of Time and frankly, i'm pretty bored with it.

The first book was compelling and could barely put it down, the whole portid/spider evolution was fascinating. While this second book is more of the same, i'm just not enjoying it from the perspective of octopi and the other humans.

The chapters focused on Portia and the spider ship are great, the rest of it i'm finding quite tedious...very disappointed.

I've stopped with this, over halfway in, around 300 pages but it's really dull, I will come back to it but for now, i'm shelving it.

Total change of direction with my next book i'm reading, as recommended by @booyaka on discord is American Kingpin, the true story on the rise and fall of The Silk Road website. Nice to have a change from flat out sci-fi fantasy I normally read and more grounded in reality.

Back
Top Bottom