**** The Official Google Pixel 4 Thread ****

Soldato
I can't help but be a bit confused by the Pixel 5 rumours/news, they have supposedly made it cheaper, and reduced specs compared to flagship phones of other brands, isn't this just what the 'a' versions do? Why can't they stick to making a high-end flagship to compete directly with the iPhone / Samsung phones and keep the 'a' range for targeting the mid-range sector?

Every year comes a new Pixel and every year it sells chuff-all compared to the competition. Maybe Google thought it was time to change strategy, but perhaps if they figured out how to nail down an attractive flagship that didn't rely on gimmicky or unsupported features that get dropped a year later, they might sell some more phones.

Personally, I'd like to see them get the basics right - 8gb/128gb or 12gb/256gb models. Top spec SoC, Wide, UW and Telephoto cameras, big enough battery and all-screen display (this last feature being something they just started getting right with the 4a). How hard can it be?

Associate
This ^
And what's with the 5s?
Rumours saying it could be a higher specced version?
But if there are 2 versions of the 5, why not keep with the naming of 5 for the higher end model and 'a' for the lower spec?
I was hoping there would be a decent model with a screen at least as large as my 2XL.

at some point "bramble" (now 4a 5G) was going to be Pixel 5, and "redfin" (now 5) was called Pixel 5s.

Every year comes a new Pixel and every year it sells chuff-all compared to the competition. Maybe Google thought it was time to change strategy, but perhaps if they figured out how to nail down an attractive flagship that didn't rely on gimmicky or unsupported features that get dropped a year later, they might sell some more phones.

Personally, I'd like to see them get the basics right - 8gb/128gb or 12gb/256gb models. Top spec SoC, Wide, UW and Telephoto cameras, big enough battery and all-screen display (this last feature being something they just started getting right with the 4a). How hard can it be?
exactly. every pixel release feels like the xbox one release when it was forced to be sold with a kinect, a feature no one wanted.

the 4a is bang on what i'm after, and a 5 just being a better version of the 4a would be ideal, though my expectations are not high with the 5 not having pointless gimmicks.

although the 5 is usually released october, what makes you guys think it'll be any different to the 4a release with usa getting it first, then us say january?

Soldato
I’ve been with Samsung since the S3 and have clung on to my current S8 for long enough and feel it’s time for a change. I don’t want to spend silly money on phones anymore so restricting myself to sub £500 ones. I quite fancy a Google phone and was looking at the 4a then read this a few posts on this thread and decided it might be worth waiting for the 5. Most important features for me are the camera and SOC, I take silly amounts of photos when out on bike rides and like to play games and run emulators. Is the 4a a good upgrade from a S8?

Soldato
I’ve been with Samsung since the S3 and have clung on to my current S8 for long enough and feel it’s time for a change. I don’t want to spend silly money on phones anymore so restricting myself to sub £500 ones. I quite fancy a Google phone and was looking at the 4a then read this a few posts on this thread and decided it might be worth waiting for the 5. Most important features for me are the camera and SOC, I take silly amounts of photos when out on bike rides and like to play games and run emulators. Is the 4a a good upgrade from a S8?

The Pixel 4a SoC isn't much/any improvement over the SD 835 SoC in the S8. The 4a will take better photos, especially at night, though I seem to recall the S8 (I used to own one) took decent enough shots in daylight. These things considered, you should probably wait out to see what the Pixel 5 brings. It's highly likely to be more than £500, but it should bring two significant improvements over the S8 - a high-refresh screen (rumoured) and an improved camera over the Pixel 4a. However, the Pixel 5 isn't likely to have a top-end SoC either (again, unconfirmed), but it'll have a good enough one to last until the device is no longer supported by Google.

sub £600 Im sold.
Sorry to say this but I'm sure you're dreaming if you're expecting that sort of price. I'd be willing to be that at the very best, with the lowest spec option you'd be looking at £739 for the 5, and £850+ for the higher priced options.

I also don't expect we will see phones in customers hands in the UK until December at best.

Soldato
Sorry to say this but I'm sure you're dreaming if you're expecting that sort of price. I'd be willing to be that at the very best, with the lowest spec option you'd be looking at £739 for the 5, and £850+ for the higher priced options.

The Pixel 5 popped up on a German website or something like that, with a 649 Euro price, which is why people are getting excited about it being cheaper. That and the fact that the Pixel 4 started at £669 with a top-of-the-line SoC, which the Pixel 5 will apparently not have.

Soldato
Isn't the pixel 5 rumoured to have the 765g chip or is that the pixel 4a 5G version?

Heads up to people buying the 4a there is 7% topcashback from CPW making this a £325 phone, gotta say my hand is hovering over the buy button unless a 765g version is coming out imminently for only a bit more?

Associate
Just placed a pre-order for Pixel 4a. I've got two phones currently. S8 which I love the camera but hate the curved screen, swapped over to a Mi9SE but was never impressed with the camera (but love the phone otherwise). Had to swap back to the S8 recently as I can't get ShotScope V3 golf tracker to connect with the Mi9SE. Fancy getting out of the Samsung bloat and into a stock experience. This seems to be mentioned less and less these days when people compare phones. Google pay is better than samsung pay in my experience (as one example) and the low price point is a massive appeal even if its not bleeding edge.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Who here came from the beta, or did you all come from 10?

I'm still not sure I like the expanded notifications only having 6 icons. I like having the media controls but it just seems odd to have to swipe down twice and still only see the same 6 icons just with more blank space around them.

Glad to see its not just me that this bugs the hell out of. Such a step back from previous.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/09/14/google-ruined-the-quick-settings-panel-in-android-11/

Soldato
Wife's 4a arrived this morning. Looks alright but I can't stand the lack of the 3 buttons at the bottom of the screen. Didn't have long a play but no idea what your supposed to do now.

Phone came in a huge box along with a balloon and money off voucher.

Soldato
Yep, mine came today too. With a helium balloon too!

Three buttons is perhaps the first thing I turn off on any device that has them...

Just getting things installed and typing up notes for Poco X3 review, which I'll get done tomorrow, then will move on to the 4a :)

Back
Top Bottom