Best warm hatch?

Associate
Hi All

I'm starting to think about my next car. I currently drive an Alfa Giulia Veloce, which is fabulous by the way (do yourself a favour and try one), which comes to the end of the 3 year PCP in March. I have a car allowance from work, which stipulates a few things, such as the car should be less than 5 years old, and has to be big enough to do my job.

The Alfa is a great car, but it doesnt make sense to buy it, as i'll need to replace it in a couple of years anyway.

So we are looking to do an extension on the house, with a remortgage etc, so i need to reduce the monthly cost a bit, to free up some money for that.

I sporty focus sized hatch should do the trick, but having looked about, most cars like this have either a very small petrol engine with 120-150 BHP, or 280BHP, with nothing in the middle. 200BHP or there abouts, would be ideal. The only example i can find is the KIA ceed GT, which is a bit bland, but does look fairly tidy... is there anything else?

Requirements:

5 door hatch
looks good (subjective i realise)
decent size wheels - 18s on a car this size.
A fairly firm ride

Nice to have:

Android Auto
heated seats
leather

The deals all look a bit rubbish too to be honest, when i got the alfa, i got 8 grand off the price, and 2% APR. current interest looks to be about 5% ish, and £3000 ish off on carwow. to replace like for like would cost nearly £200 more a month!

the Alfa was my first new car, was this just a cracking deal, and the current deals are typical? or are the current deals just rubbish due to covid?

Thanks guys

Soldato
Fiesta ST is probably the best around 200hp. I think they come in 5 doors now.

BTW bigger wheels make things worse not better :)

Sporty Renaults are also fun (Renaultsport Megane?)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The i30 N gets very good reviews. Still a bit higher than you want at 247bhp though.
I saw that. It seems that almost everyone goes for the n performance over the regular n, which adds more power, but a whole bunch of options that makes more sense financially. I know full well if i choose the regular n, ill fold and go for the n performance :)

Fiesta ST is probably the best around 200hp. I think they come in 5 doors now.

BTW bigger wheels make things worse not better :)

Sporty Renaults are also fun (Renaultsport Megane?)
The fiesta st was my first choice actually, along with the hyundai i20 n that was supposed to be out this yeah. My boss has deemed it too small though unfortunately.

I like a firm ride, how do bigger wheels make that worse? In my opinion, there is an ideal size. Focus size, 18 is fine, maybe 19 if the car deals with it well.

Ill check out the megane though

Focus Ecoboost 1.5 ST-Line X (180bhp)
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202007111131398

Honda Civic 1.5 VTEC Turbo Sport Plus (180bhp)
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202009103540415

BMW 120i M-Sport (180bhp)
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202007161306457

Golf GTI is also ~220bhp
Thanks for that. Im looking to get a three year deal, with the warranty covering all of it. So new really, unless maybe a year old car with a 5 year warranty.

They dont do that focus any more, theyve dropped it in favour of a 1 litre with a little electric motor to help out.

Itll be cheaper to keep the alfa, which is a 2018 car than get the others civic and bmw and ford all have three year warranty yeah?

New Leon FR is supposed to be getting a petrol 2.0 190PS option at some point.
That would be ideal

Look at the Kia Proceed GT it's a shooting brake design the 1.6 is just over 200bhp.
Ive seen that. Its the same engine as in the kia gt i was looking at. The proceed is more interesting than the ceed gt. Im not sold on the shape, id need to see it in the flesh. I dont really need the extra boot space either. Will definitely check it out though

thanks for the replies guys

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
OP
Mazda3 Sport GT has a 2.0 180ps option, might be a little lower than you'd like though.

Lower? Or did you mean slower? Ill check it out. Thanks

Is a Giulia going to be too big for you I assume?
Its too expensive. I could keep the one i have for a couple of years, but no warranty after march.

Last edited by a moderator:

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Its too expensive. I could keep the one i have for a couple of years, but no warranty after march.
Could you not just extend the warranty? Never been in the position do so personally, but I know other marques will extend for a cost (obviously)

Soldato
Neither of my cars have a warranty. The cost to fix stuff is a lot cheaper than depreciation on a new car. Unless you buy an AMG Merc or something, which will be all expensive electrical issues.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom