Plane Spotters / Flight Radar Thread

Soldato
Speaking of which I have some left over bits but I can't decide if they are allowed in the MM or not.

Will probably just hang on to it than try and sell on eBay these days. Probably come in handy at some point anyway.

Soldato
Raspberry Pi 4 2Gb - £34
SD card - £8
PSU - £8
FlightAware Pro Stick Plus receiver - £23.50
FlightAware aerial - £44 or take a look at this thread and build your own.
Coax cable to link aerial to dongle - £unknown because of length but buy the best you can afford. I'm partial to Hyperflex 10 but Ultraflex 7 is relatively decent

:D

Im a ham so coax is not an issue :p and i guess i could make an antenna .. I have a PI but i think its first gen . Will see if i can rustle up the other bits cheap

Soldato
Eventually got around to putting my antenna on the roof and tidying up the insides...

FA%20Out.jpg

FA%20In.jpg

Live feed...

https://radar.clanlawrence.co.uk/dump1090-fa/

Soldato
OK, you can't post that without talking us through what you've got there :)

Three receivers, output from one LNA split into two, is that doing AIS as well? I'm intrigued.

Nothing exciting, lol. The setup on the right is Airband. One dongle running RTL_AIRBAND with a permanent feed of Edinburgh Radar and Tower. The other dongle is running RTL_TCP for general Airband scanning.

Tbh, I've only got one of the dongles running at the moment as I couldn't get the splitter setup working. A job for another day.

Soldato
Was it the antenna splitter or the two radios in one pi that caused the issue?

I've got one pi doing ADSB and one pi as an air band Reciever with rtlsdr3 and diamond d777.

I have a spare rtlsdr laying around and was wondering if I could put it in to the same pi and recieve two frequencies simultaneously but not sure if there would be issues with the two usb devices.

I'm using spyserver from airspy to stream over the network and SDR# as the client on windows machines. Not found an android client yet.

I've also got one doing AIS but despite being on a hill with visual site of the Dee and Mersey estuaries I don't really get anything. I may call it quits on that, sell the antenna and reclaim the equipment for another project.

Soldato
Think it was more an issue with Bias-T powering the Amp. I've not looked in to it at all tbh, Just connected the dongle straight to the coax to get the airband up and running. I'll investigate over the next few days. I need to drill holes in the cases of both amps so that I can see the Power LED too.

Soldato
Anybody got a reliable source for an updated replacement for the Dump1090 database? It's very out of date. So far I've just been manually adding anything that I notice is missing but it's becoming a chore.

Soldato
New setup is working a treat, amazing the difference moving the antenna on to the roof makes. Had a peak max range yesterday of 324nm and should be top of the table for EGPH FR24 feeders once my downtime drops out after 30 days.

Turns out the issue with my splitter was the splitter itself, totally gubbed and something rattling about inside it. :(

Soldato
Can anyone recommened a decent dump1090 amd x64 docker images? I'm going to give this one a try - https://github.com/jeanralphaviles/dump1090-docker but if there are better ones out there please let me know.

Long term plan is to get a raspberry pi into the loft which should have a great view. I'm near shuttleworth in Bedfordshire, I hope to get some classic planes assuming they fit transponders to those things?

Back
Top Bottom