what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

Soldato
Have been playing around with Tidal again. My MBP is fine for powering my UE900s, but the thing just can't do my DT1990's any justice. Any alternatives to the AQ DragonFly Red to consider? That seems to be the best way to go for me here. Only looking to use it with the laptop itself.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Probably one of the few but I did not like my HD-650s with my Creative X3 headphone amp, found the mids lacking and the detail not kicking in really. Went back to my AKG K550 mk3s which are closed hps but got that mid range back.

Its possible the X3 was not powerful enough, still the adventures continue am more than happy with my Audio technica Msr7b headphones, in January they were £300+ out of my price range but suddenly dropped to £280 then £230 then £180 on rainforest over covid times. Now there going for £90 on flebay but unsure of seller ratings but a few have them. Cheapest balanced hps you will find I believe and with balanced the sound quality will seperate and improve more.

Next on the shopping list either iFI Zen can balanced amp with direct 4.4 connection @ £130 but would love to try the topping D90 dac but way out of price range.

Associate
I've had a pair of DT770 Pro 80 Ohms for a good few years now - really can't be beaten at the ~£100 price range for a decent pair of closed backs.

I'd previously had a few of the "high fi" closed backs like Sony Z1Rs / ZMF Atticus', but couldn't justify their 10x cost over a DT770 at the end of the day.

Associate
Had some E-MU teaks arrive the other day. What a banging pair of headphones. Timbre is spot on, they sound very responsive, quick and impactful. They sound like what the ZMF Atticus should've sounded like or what I thought they would sound like. Strings, pianos sound great. Drum hits are thunderous. Resolving capabilities are impressive, similar to the Denon D7000. What from people said I expected these to sound romantic or lush but to me they sound dynamic and hard hitting, borderline basshead, zero sense of closed nature, instruments trail beautifully and don't mesh with voices. Vocals are lovely that's you where you hear the wooden character along with the mid bass. Timbre of the voice is HD650 level but less forward, brilliant headphone for vocals.

They're a tad bright but not nearly as bright as the TH900.

The Sound Of Silence by disturbed on Conan(best version) the is one of my reference tracks. His voice is presented as it should, Rich, powerful, resonant, his voice shifts from being rich to distorted when he gives the warning and it's presented so well through the teaks. Headphones like the HD800 fail the Sound of Silence test. 3 headphones do it justice, teak is one of them.

Another track which shows off the teaks dynamism and versatility is Heathens cover by First to Eleven. The dynamics of the Teak are on display and the headphone was shaking my head which each hit, the notes were solid, potent and clean.

Dark Horse Cover by Madilyn Baillie was soulful, slightly lush, full bodied. The LCD-2 Fazor sounds more recessed, less distinct where as the Teak had more emotion presence and engagement.

Good phone! Might keep this one. If you love the old Denon line and wished for a smoother sound with more vocal presence, get these when you see em.

Soldato
Having owned both I can say the 650 are more bass oriented. The 600 are more mellow and pick out detail . Although I still have the 650 to compliment my hd800 :cool:

Yeah, im a bit of a detail freak. As long as it doesnt go into sibilance.

Had the HD600 a few days now. I was A/B testing them against the PC37X which I know are a gamign headset but they are supprisingly good for music. Whilst I wasnt initially blown away by them, the more I listen to them, the more I like em. Had a few late night listening sesisons with them. The PC37X are a bit better with games, on identifying where directional audio is coming from, but with music the HD600 are much nicer. The PC37X have gone back in the box for now. They will prob end up on the bay.

Soldato
Just posted in the images of items you've purchased thread. My Topping DX3 Pro that powers my DT1990's. Very, very impressive little bit of kit. Switches itself on and off depending on whether any content is heading its way. Produces a very clean and detailed sound, with some lovely bass. Really good sound for the price. Very impressed and it has only been out of its box for three hours!!

IMG-1632.jpg

IMG-1633.jpg

Associate
Finally after hearing about this dac a year ago its here , didnt really need it as my cambridge audio dacmagic 100 was perfect but always wanted a matching stack.
Pleased to say it sounds like nothing as a dac should.

l5GYkzV.jpg

Associate
What are people using for dac and headphone amps.

really enjoying my HD600s but it’s got me wondering if I could squeeze a bit more out of them then the G6 is capable of.

You cant go wrong with the Liquid Spark stack, i have the G6 as well with 660s .

Although i actuall prefer the G6 for its ease of use , the 660 doesnt sound better just a bit differant on the Spark

Soldato
Schiit Modi Multibit (DAC) into a Schiit Asgard 3 (amp) - silly amounts of smooth power - the HD 650 sounds glorious :)

Was looking at this exact setup but can never find stock in the uk. Plus a bit more then I wanted to spend. Headphones are secondary listening for me over my speakers.

I managed to a find an
Marantz HD- DAC1
open box deal. For a tad over £300. Seem worth a punt.

Back
Top Bottom