Mountain Biking

Soldato
New, decent, bikes have short standover on most of their sizes with only the reach changing then it's up to the consumer to decide what reach they want and not be penalised on standover height.

Have you been checking Pinkbike for 2nd hand bikes? Normally a bit more 'exotic' but you sometimes get a bargain.

No luck on pinkbike but I my of found a bike I wanted! meeting the guy tonight fingers crossed :)

Soldato
I went out for my first ride and headed straight to the forest, boy I got a lot to learn this bike is faster than I thought!
I kept loosing grip on the pedals I went over little jump while racing down hill and grinded my shin on pedals. Later on I got branch stuck under the rear derailleur which locked it forwards... I manged to fix it and get back home. It was good fun but mountain biking is is very different than road cycling I think I will take it a little slower next time.

CbMmXkn.jpg.png

Last edited:
Associate
Associate
I’ve just treated my self to my first proper bike.
It’s a Vitus Mythique 29 VRX Mountain Bike (2021) in XL. I’m 6ft4-5 so I’m hoping it’s big enough.

I’ve also just bought some Nukeproof evo flat pedals for it, hopefully over the winter I’ll add some upgrades.

Soldato
Thanks for the pedal recommendations I brought some new shows it made a massive difference, I found some blue trails that I never knew where in this forest! really fun day.

Soldato
I’ve just treated my self to my first proper bike.
It’s a Vitus Mythique 29 VRX Mountain Bike (2021) in XL. I’m 6ft4-5 so I’m hoping it’s big enough.

I’ve also just bought some Nukeproof evo flat pedals for it, hopefully over the winter I’ll add some upgrades.

That bike looks great let me know how it rides my friend was considering that or calibre boss nut.

Soldato
Purchased these for my bikes

https://www.deitycomponents.com/compound-nylon-pedals.html

Orange for my Cube Reaction and blue for my Blue Pig :)

On the Blue Pig, I bought hope bottom bracket which I thought I could find the corresponding Park socket. 3 sockets later I discover the only thing that fits is a fairly naff looking spanner made by Hope. £100 of sockets turns out to be a tenners worth of pressed out ally!

I did the rim tape job last night which turned out to be quite satisfying. Mounting the tyres tonight. Should be fun....

One thing I have pretty much no idea on is how to set up the derailleur.

Associate
I'm in need of a few things if someone could give me any good recommendations I would be grateful :).

Pump (my tyres are tubeless if that helps), shock pump, a good multi tool, a front mudguard.

My bike should be here soon and then I can start my venture in to mountain biking in the hope of getting my anxiety down to a level where I don't need my meds.

Man of Honour
1280_2020.09.jpg

Had my Bobcat Trail 3 delivered yesterday and got it built in an afternoon. The rear was already pre-built but I hate faffing around adjusting the derailleurs so have dropped it off to Halfords today for the free check-up where they adjust these things during the check at no cost.

I am considering going 1x9 with a Deore upgrade but it looks like the total cost for a 10 speed cassette, chain, chainring, mech and shifter will reach around £150 so gonna wait a bit and see how I like the Altus on this over varied terrain. Riding around a local valley park this Sunday with a mate so will put everything through their paces to my novice skill level! I suspect the Altus will be fine for my kind of usage.

First bit of cheap upgrades already here though, got a remote dropper post coming as the Marin stock post is way too long, the pics above show the post at its lowest setting lol. Dropper post was £55 from eBay and has internal cable routing.

I also got these magnesium alloy pedals for £25 off eBay which seem very good quality and lightweight (290g for the pair). 3 bearings too so nice and smooth.

Pedals_mag_alloy.jpg

Soldato
1280_2020.09.jpg

Had my Bobcat Trail 3 delivered yesterday and got it built in an afternoon. The rear was already pre-built but I hate faffing around adjusting the derailleurs so have dropped it off to Halfords today for the free check-up where they adjust these things during the check at no cost.

I am considering going 1x9 with a Deore upgrade but it looks like the total cost for a 10 speed cassette, chain, chainring, mech and shifter will reach around £150 so gonna wait a bit and see how I like the Altus on this over varied terrain. Riding around a local valley park this Sunday with a mate so will put everything through their paces to my novice skill level! I suspect the Altus will be fine for my kind of usage.

First bit of cheap upgrades already here though, got a remote dropper post coming as the Marin stock post is way too long, the pics above show the post at its lowest setting lol. Dropper post was £55 from eBay and has internal cable routing.

I also got these magnesium alloy pedals for £25 off eBay which seem very good quality and lightweight (290g for the pair). 3 bearings too so nice and smooth.

Pedals_mag_alloy.jpg

What a fine looking bike where did you find stock? I check everywhere ended up with voodoo bizango in the end, love the livery and the tan wall tyres.

Man of Honour
What a fine looking bike where did you find stock? I check everywhere ended up with voodoo bizango in the end, love the livery and the tan wall tyres.
Hi, I found stock on Winstanleys Bikes website, they only had the one though and I like yourself searched everywhere. Hell I even had other bikes added to basket to mull over a day and choose one the next day including a 2021 Boardman 8.6 MHT, Cube Aim Pro and a Vitus but the very next morning all were out of stock!

I would have loved the Boardman though as it was very well specced and came with Deore but I just had to pull the trigger on the Marin soon as I realised it was still in stock at Winstanleys before that was gone too. As a 90s kid it screams 90s to me with the colour theme :D

Back
Top Bottom