Assassin's Creed Valhalla

Soldato
I have every AC game, I think, but have not completed one in a long time. I am currently playing Odyssey which I am enjoying immensely, and shall complete that along with the DLC.

As Valhalla is out around the same time as Cyberpunk I'll get this next year when I can get it discounted in case it goes the way most other AC games seem to go with me.

Soldato
I just pray to all the gods that this time we're getting a Vulkan/DX12 version. Odyssey is so god damn awful if you try to do anything past 30 fps.

Man of Honour
FYI - they have moved the release date from Nov 17th forward to Nov 10th. Presumably to give them a little more air before Cyberpunk releases on the 19th

Soldato
Eh? I quite happily run it at 60fps, albeit at 60% of 4K.

Do a run through Athens and record your frametimes. ;)

Hell, here's the benchmark with 10900K @ 5 Ghz 4133 Ram and a 3080.
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3080-Assassing-Creed.jpg

Or check an older one of mine I was testing at 720p low. Either way it wouldn't run this bad if it wasn't so API bottlenecked. I'm not gonna go find it but if you want you can see the evolution for Wildlands & Breakpoint too as BP got Vulkan (they all use the same engine as AC). It got much better.
J0ugoEB.png

Soldato
I just pray to all the gods that this time we're getting a Vulkan/DX12 version. Odyssey is so god damn awful if you try to do anything past 30 fps.
That would be good. I found frame rate in Odyssey directly tied to clouds. At 1080p with 3600/1070/16GB it chugged at ultra. Volumetric clouds down to medium and it was (mainly!) smooth.

I have to say I preferred Origins though. Odyssey has some amazing moments but it is just too big. I’m hoping Valhalla is more focussed.

Soldato
Not sure why they haven't spun the series off into a new name, this is anything but an assassin game and more intune with the RDR2/GTA style of gameplay. The same could be said of Origins and Odyssey, both decent games but a longways from the original games. There need of you to clear out who swathes of enemy's gets boring fast, though the originals were not shy of rinse and repeats to give the impression of a game a longer playtime

Bring back the knights Templar (or Pirates!) i say! :D However as a big fan of The last kingdom/vikings. Vikings > Greeks/Egypt imo so iam looking forward to this but not as a AC game

Man of Honour
Not sure why they haven't spun the series off into a new name, this is anything but an assassin game and more intune with the RDR2/GTA style of gameplay. The same could be said of Origins and Odyssey, both decent games but a longways from the original games. There need of you to clear out who swathes of enemy's gets boring fast, though the originals were not shy of rinse and repeats to give the impression of a game a longer playtime

Bring back the knights Templar (or Pirates!) i say! :D However as a big fan of The last kingdom/vikings. Vikings > Greeks/Egypt imo so iam looking forward to this but not as a AC game

I agree with you that its not AC, but for me thats a good thing. I loved Origins and Odyssey (both were my games of the year in their years) but I found the original AC games had reached a point where they were just dull and stale as dishwater. If they actually did release an AC-like AC game I highly doubt I would even buy it, my gaming tastes and wants for a 3rd person game have changed since the days of the original ACs, I expect more to a game now.

Man of Honour
I agree with you that its not AC, but for me thats a good thing. I loved Origins and Odyssey (both were my games of the year in their years) but I found the original AC games had reached a point where they were just dull and stale as dishwater. If they actually did release an AC-like AC game I highly doubt I would even buy it, my gaming tastes and wants for a 3rd person game have changed since the days of the original ACs, I expect more to a game now.

Agreed, I'm much preferring the new direction. The old formula had become tiresome and many of the mechanics had become frustrating beyond belief. Origins and Odyssey were both great in their own right. I hope they continue to expand upon the RPG elements. I'll be getting this on day one, although looking at the price probably just the standard edition initially. I am a little concerned its going to be a reskin of Odyssey that I had played to death, but I hope I'm wrong. Base building appeals, hopefully it is well fleshed out.

Soldato
I'm also in on the prefer the new type of AC. The Ezio arch was the pinnacle for me. I tried a few of the newer ones but always got bored after a few hours and stopped. Unity was OK but I didn't make it more than a few hours, I quite liked Syndicate but I'm not sure how much of it was down to the London setting and the new grappling hook which made traversing bit easier.

I didn't play Origins and while I feel Odyssey could've been a completely different franchise as it felt like it wasn't until I got to the DLC that it felt like an AC game. But whatever game it was, it was my favourite of the time. I just never got bored of playing it and got close to 200 hours. Considering the other AC games got about 18-30 hours out of me, each. I was really surprised

Soldato
I'm not sure if Valhalla can stand up to Origins in terms of the environment, don't get me wrong I love the English countryside but it's not the most dramatic setting!

Origins was the better overall package for me out of the last two, the setting and story was great. Odyssey wasn't as interesting environment wise (a bit too samey), but made up for it by having such a likeable protagonist in Kassandra that made playing just a fairly light-hearted and enjoyable experience (yes it's a murder simulator, but still).

Man of Honour
I'm not sure if Valhalla can stand up to Origins in terms of the environment, don't get me wrong I love the English countryside but it's not the most dramatic setting!.

I'm expecting some artistic license with Valhalla, height has always been a thing in these titles and lets face it, England isnt exactly the most vertical of places, so I'm thinking the heights of some things will be exaggerated for effect :)

I'm guessing we'll also see the ruins of iron age forts, burial chambers of bronze age kings, something to do with King Arthur at some point, some sort of location to do with Boudicca and so on.

Back
Top Bottom