• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Lowest 2080ti price - £350

Soldato
So you believe a new gpu cant be faster than an older generation gpu unless the new one has the same or more power consumption?

The full GA104 die has a similar number of transistors as well to the 2080 Ti.

It runs on less power because it just had a massive die shrink. Check the transistor density

Unless we are saying Nvidia have gone backwards, it will beat or match the 2080 Ti.

Last edited:
Associate
Don't think it will go back above £500. AMDs new card is also supposedly a 2080 Ti beater and will be $599 (~£550) sitting between the 3070 and 3080.

I saw/read that today as you did. At the prices you suggest it would need to have 16GB ram at least and nvidia are ready to respond with supers and Ti's, so I suspect amd will go a bit lower.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm relaxed with my £490 2080 Ti. If I lose £100 over a few months, I still got my value.

Associate
So you believe a new gpu cant be faster than an older generation gpu unless the new one has the same or more power consumption?

If I understand the question?. nvidia talk said it was faster. nvidia graph said equal. That included improved raytracing, which is not present in most games. "rumoured" benchmarks back up that it is better (depending on raytracing) but not to the extent in most cases that was claimed.

Soldato
I'm just going on what we know so far about the 3080. It has double the shaders and uses 30% more power than a 2080ti yet is only around 25% faster which would imply the new Samsung 8nm node isn't very good.

Now if a card that has 100% more shaders and uses 30% more power is only 25% faster do you really think a card that has 35% more shader and uses less power will be faster? I certainly don't think so unless you can overclock and pump another 80w into it but of course you can then do the same with the 2080ti which interestingly matches a 3080 when you give it 320w so make of that what you will.

Associate
I'm just going on what we know so far about the 3080. It has double the shaders and uses 30% more power than a 2080ti yet is only around 25% faster which would imply the new Samsung 8nm node isn't very good.

Now if a card that has 100% more shaders and uses 30% more power is only 25% faster do you really think a card that has 35% more shader and uses less power will be faster? I certainly don't think so unless you can overclock and pump another 80w into it but of course you can then do the same with the 2080ti which interestingly matches a 3080 when you give it 320w so make of that what you will.
I like all your theories without any benchmarks to back it up yet. Have you recently bought a 2080ti for £1500?

Man of Honour
The Founder's Edition will perform within the ballpark of Nvidia's claims (in absolute best case scenarios), but because they'll be cherry picked in a special bin, and the coolers are so big that they'll be essentially loss leaders. They'll perform well and immediately go out of stock, maintaining the hype for Ampere, and sales will spill over to the modest margin making AIB cards, which will also go out of stock or be in such high demand that the modest margins are well maintained despite aggressive competition. Then the 16GB cards will come out, which are are the ones Nvidia really wants you to buy, likely no FE and will be priced with a healthier margin in mind. By that point people will be so bathed in the Ampere hype that the hiked price will seem worth it.

Soldato
I like all your theories without any benchmarks to back it up yet. Have you recently bought a 2080ti for £1500?
there are plenty of unofficial benchmarks floating about now which all point to the 3080 being around a 25% improvement over a 2080ti and I would be very supprised if when the official stuff comes out that this is any different.

No I haven't brought a 2080ti for £1500 in fact I'm still on pascal as I felt that none of the Turing cards offered a value for money upgrade.

The point I'm trying to make is the people mocking those cheap 2080tis as being rubbish are going to have a surprise when the new ampere performance benchmarks are out and shows they are not as good as all the initial hype and it may well turn out that those who picked up a 2080ti in the panic sell off for under £500 have actually got a great deal with a card that not only beats a 3070 especially at 4K but can also match a 3080 when overclocked and fed 320w

koh

koh

Associate
I missed out on a triple fan Zotac 2080ti for £450 by 20mins. Seller had 2 for sale as using SLI. My offer £450 was accepted so he changed ad to buy it now and 2 other watchers bought them before I knew he had accepted my offer.

Caporegime
it may well turn out that those who picked up a 2080ti in the panic sell off for under £500 have actually got a great deal with a card that not only beats a 3070 especially at 4K but can also match a 3080 when overclocked and fed 320w

I’d rather have a new card with resale value tbh....and full warranty...and you haven’t mentioned RTX performance....

Yet again though , all this speculation is wasted energy...wait for the benchies...

Associate
The Founder's Edition will perform within the ballpark of Nvidia's claims (in absolute best case scenarios), but because they'll be cherry picked in a special bin, and the coolers are so big that they'll be essentially loss leaders. They'll perform well and immediately go out of stock, maintaining the hype for Ampere, and sales will spill over to the modest margin making AIB cards, which will also go out of stock or be in such high demand that the modest margins are well maintained despite aggressive competition. Then the 16GB cards will come out, which are are the ones Nvidia really wants you to buy, likely no FE and will be priced with a healthier margin in mind. By that point people will be so bathed in the Ampere hype that the hiked price will seem worth it.

This absolutely nails it.

Soldato
I’d rather have a new card with resale value tbh....and full warranty...and you haven’t mentioned RTX performance....

Yet again though , all this speculation is wasted energy...wait for the benchies...
Buying a 2080ti for £450 doesn't mean you're going to lose all its resale value, it's not like it's only going to be worth 100 quid a couple of years down the line.

People are selling 1080tis for 300-350 right now so if anything you stand to lose less than people buying 3080s new especially if they release ti versions at the same price points which they have done on previous generations, also some cards have transferable warranties.

UEX

UEX

Associate
Exactly, ive skimmed this forum since announcement and its basically like reading "the letters are more square on the new card so there will be less drag meaning more overclocking headroom". tbh it kinda reminds me of when kids in school (i work in primary schools) come up to me and tell me that their dad has the ps6 and it plays minecraft 2 :D

Wait for independent testing. If buying a 400 or 700 pound card at launch is a big risk, then you shouldn't be buying one at launch. If losing 800 on a recent 2080ti is upsetting, you shouldn't have bought one. I remember being 18 on forums I remember being 25 on forums, im 36 now I've seen it all many many times.

These cards won't be the 2nd coming of christ and they won't be a con. They will be in the middle. People who buy them will be happy, people who don't and wait will be happy.

Also everyone will be mad about things that don't matter.

Associate

I agree, but £500 used 2080Ti vs £1000+ new is a lot to pay for a warranty and the used card (assuming it works) has plenty of resale value, I'm guessing £400+ in 3 months (1660's still go for £150-£200).

By the time reviews come out (embargo extended until the day before launch for FE) you will be very, very lucky to get one from the first batch and while people wait for the next batch and prices rise by maybe £1 a day or wait for cards with more ram/AMD big navi, I'll be enjoying my 2080Ti that is maybe depreciating by £1 a day.

Caporegime
I agree, but £500 used 2080Ti vs £1000+ new is a lot to pay for a warranty and the used card (assuming it works) has plenty of resale value, I'm guessing £400+ in 3 months (1660's still go for £150-£200).

Where are you getting £1000 From?

By the time reviews come out (embargo extended until the day before launch for FE) you will be very, very lucky to get one from the first batch and while people wait for the next batch and prices rise by maybe £1 a day or wait for cards with more ram/AMD big navi, I'll be enjoying my 2080Ti that is maybe depreciating by £1 a day.

You have just made all of this up....:p

Soldato

If anything the value could even rise if it turns out that ampere performance doesn't match the hype.

I was all set to pick up a 3080 after the initial reveal and nvidia shill benchmarks which made it look like it was 50-60% faster than a 2080ti but now as more leaked benchmarks come out its only looking to be more like 25% which would only be around 60% faster than a 1080ti at the same price point 4 years later.

Last edited:
Associate
there are plenty of unofficial benchmarks floating about now which all point to the 3080 being around a 25% improvement over a 2080ti and I would be very supprised if when the official stuff comes out that this is any different.

No I haven't brought a 2080ti for £1500 in fact I'm still on pascal as I felt that none of the Turing cards offered a value for money upgrade.

The point I'm trying to make is the people mocking those cheap 2080tis as being rubbish are going to have a surprise when the new ampere performance benchmarks are out and shows they are not as good as all the initial hype and it may well turn out that those who picked up a 2080ti in the panic sell off for under £500 have actually got a great deal with a card that not only beats a 3070 especially at 4K but can also match a 3080 when overclocked and fed 320w

I agree about the 2080ti and I have said many times on here people are mad selling for under £500 it’s a great card I still think even with the 3070 coming out that the 2080ti will be stronger. When 3080 sells out and nobody can get stock and benchmarks hit 2080ti price will go back up 2nd hand to around 700 mark. I do think when solid benchmarks come out of all 3000 series anyone who panic sold there 2080ti for under £500 are going to be upset.

Associate
Prices are going up now as the madness slows. The fact that a lot of gamers will have to add a £100 to the price for the power hungry 3080, plus the less than impressive leaked benchmarks, I think £500-£550 is about right.

And that fact that the 2080ti is still a freaking awesome beast that will run 4k60 for the next few years (with a few tweaks, natch).

If they ever did hit £300-£350 I'd seriously consider sli as my upgrade path.

Back
Top Bottom