***The Official Guitar Thread***

Soldato
A pedal that I do not have....Must resist........

Haha! Check out some YT vids on it, it's a very good pedal for practising.

I won't tell you that DPD are on their way to me with a Cali76 CD. I said I wouldn't do it! But something about that crystal (maze style) optics over the multi colour LED..... lol. I'm interested to compare it directly to the Keeley Plus that I have, both have 30 day return period, so will be interesting to see!

Caporegime
Since we were discussing artificially aging guitars and whether it is acceptable to put branded headstock decals on off-brand guitars, this is my headstock.

IMG-20200506-134217.jpg

Its a Squier Affinity Series Strat. But the pickups, pots, wiring, jack, knobs, scratchplate, and other bits have been changed. The machine heads and some other bits and bobs may follow.

I originally wanted to paint the face of the headstock in satin black and put a silver Fender decal on it, but the paint reacted. I re-tried, and it reacted again. It was clearly the wrong sort of paint. I had to wipe it all off and do some sanding to remove the stubborn parts... This is what gave me that idea: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/VWgAAOSwn8RdccW2/s-l1600.jpg

Before I'd finished sanding it back I decided that I liked the look of it, it looked like wear from age, so I stopped. I then poorly applied a "Franken Partscaster" decal, applied lots of clearcoat, and polished it.

In hindsight I wish I'd not touched it at all! :mad:

Last edited:
Soldato
Since we were discussing artificially aging guitars and whether it is acceptable to put branded headstock decals on off-brand guitars, this is my headstock.

IMG-20200506-134217.jpg

Its a Squier Affinity Series Strat. But the pickups, pots, wiring, jack, knobs, scratchplate, and other bits have been changed. The machine heads and some other bits and bobs may follow.

I originally wanted to paint the face of the headstock in satin black and put a silver Fender decal on it, but the paint reacted. I re-tried, and it reacted again. It was clearly the wrong sort of paint. I had to wipe it all off and do some sanding to remove the stubborn parts... This is what gave me that idea: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/VWgAAOSwn8RdccW2/s-l1600.jpg

Before I'd finished sanding it back I decided that I liked the look of it, it looked like wear from age, so I stopped. I then poorly applied a "Franken Partscaster" decal, applied lots of clearcoat, and polished it.

In hindsight I wish I'd not touched it at all! :mad:
I like it and you could pick up a replacement original neck for very little if it bothers you that much, I've always been a fan of the labels that the look almost like the real thing but aren't quite things like tokais Love rock and Aria's Leopard spring to mind.

Caporegime
I like it and you could pick up a replacement original neck for very little if it bothers you that much, I've always been a fan of the labels that the look almost like the real thing but aren't quite things like tokais Love rock and Aria's Leopard spring to mind.

If I do that the only original part of the guitar would be the body. I'm trying to keep at least the neck and body original! Haha. :p

Caporegime
I told you the other week it piddles on the Spark for practising.
I also use it as a drum machine for practising on Jamulus with my other band members when the drummer can't make it.

The downside is to use the pedal is I need to use my tube amp, the point of the Spark is an all in 1 solution.

I see the merit of it, I am still unsure how I would use it, at minimum I need an amp in a box with headphone out.

Caporegime
run it into an interface and use headphones from there. No amp necessary

I need to buy an interface :p I am trying to stop buying more stuff, otherwise I would, if you know me, I only need half an excuse to spend money but I am trying to put that behind me and save more instead.

Actually, I could have it go into the Yamaha THR10...

Soldato
It was me that recommended the Trio+ @2StepSteve - glad you like it :) I really enjoy mine, if you have a bass amp handy routing the bass + drums through it makes it even better

Ahh! :)

It is an awesome practising tool, lost myself with it for a couple of hours today. I see what you mean about routing the bass and drums through something else, I may look at getting some small powered speakers which will do the trick. Price has gone back up now on Amazon.

FzGHg9V.jpg

This arrived yesterday.

Doing A - B comparisons between it and the Keeley Plus, it's obvious that this is a better sounding compressor (it being twice the cost, it bloody well should be!).

It's quieter in operation when compressing to the same level as the Keeley, but it does something else. Much like the Keeley it takes away some high end frequencies, and darkens tone. This can be easily compensated by dialling in a little more treble at the amp end. What it also adds is something quite special, I can't quite put my finger on it, but this pedal adds nice texture to what you are playing. Engage a boost behind it, and it makes a real difference. It sounds very sweet! I agree with what people say about this compressor, it isn't transparent, but what it adds I can't complain about at all. Sounds great!

It's way more tweak-able, to the point where it took me a bit of time to get to grips with what the controls are doing to the sound and how the different controls react to each other. The manual isn't the best and fails to explain this in any kind of detail, YT and some guides have helped. I can now dial in very subtle compression, where you can barely tell it is there, to more extreme compression. The indicator light is very useful, to get a visual on when compression and the amount is being applied to the signal.

I had it running at 9V and now at 18V, not sure I can tell the difference, I'd have to A - B it, which I really can't be bothered to do! Shall keep feeding it 18V.

In short, I like it a lot. A hell of a lot of money for compressor, but it's a very good pedal. Worth the price over the Keeley? I'm boxing up the Keeley for return. :p

Caporegime
Nice review, glad you like it...as I said earlier this week, buy the best, then forget and never had to upgrade. Cost more but saves in the long run IMO, especially when it comes to guitar gears I find, people generally love older stuff when they are good and hold onto them for ages and even goes up in price too in some cases.

p.s. we have similar settings in our photos!

Soldato
It's definitely worth while if you can stretch to it.

Nice on the settings! I find these settings just about get the compression to trigger, nothing over the top, nice as an always on setting.

I really wasn't going to go down the pedal rabbit hole, but I think it's too late for that now. Ha! I have a HOF2 for reverb, it's ok, but I think in the next couple of months I'll be looking for a better overall reverb, spring is pretty rubbish on it.

Caporegime
It's definitely worth while if you can stretch to it.

Nice on the settings! I find these settings just about get the compression to trigger, nothing over the top, nice as an always on setting.

I really wasn't going to go down the pedal rabbit hole, but I think it's too late for that now. Ha! I have a HOF2 for reverb, it's ok, but I think in the next couple of months I'll be looking for a better overall reverb, spring is pretty rubbish on it.

I did the whole went big with my reverb, I thought about the HoF but then discovered Strymon...thought I was being conservative and bought a BlueSky but I returned it and went to the BigSky, 5 years later it’s still one of the best out there. There are many other ones like EQD Avalanche that I want to try but none has everything from the BigSky besides the H9 (but that is something else). After that though I went total opposite and got a Stargazer reverb that has 2 knobs for something really simple.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thinking of a headphone with aux amp as I think my previous amp+pedals have disappeared from the house.. Not really wanting a mac or iPhone app based system as things quickly end up superceeded due to the OS/interface.

Thinking of a headphone mixer then using a orange terror mini amp or a stamp. Thinking of the valve hybrid so it has the oomph to drive the 55ohm headphones.

Associate
I'm torn, I'm half considering selling my Gibson LP Studio, purely because I rarely actually play guitar, so it seems a bit of a waste having it when a cheap strat/tele or something would probably suit me better. I also think I prefer the longer scale length, what with bass being my main pickup.

But then I plug it into an overdriven tube amp and the sound makes me happy :p

Soldato
I did the whole went big with my reverb, I thought about the HoF but then discovered Strymon...thought I was being conservation and bought a BlueSky but I returned it and went to the BigSky, 5 years later it’s still one of the best out there. There are many other ones like EQD Avalanche that I want to try but none has everything from the BigSky besides the H9 (but that is something else). After that though I went total opposite and got a Stargazer reverb that has 2 knobs for something really simple.

Christ, that is an expensive pedal! I think out of reach to be honest. I'm in no rush, the HOF2 works, but am aware it's spring is pretty rubbish.

Thinking of a headphone with aux amp as I think my previous amp+pedals have disappeared from the house.. Not really wanting a mac or iPhone app based system as things quickly end up superceeded due to the OS/interface.

Thinking of a headphone mixer then using a orange terror mini amp or a stamp. Thinking of the valve hybrid so it has the oomph to drive the 55ohm headphones.

I think it depends how much you want to spend. Personally for headphone output, I wouldn't be looking at a standard amp with a headphone out, it'll be mono, limited to the inbuilt effects and pretty fatiguing after a while. You may want to look at modellers. I hear really good things about the Kemper and Helix (Stomp, perhaps?) for headphone use.

Soldato
the HOF2 works, but am aware it's spring is pretty rubbish
Mooer shimverb has a good spring verb for budget pedals. Donner do a green reverb pedal whose name escapes me but it has an ok setting too. I love the spring reverb on my amp though. Nothing like the real thing.

Caporegime
I'm torn, I'm half considering selling my Gibson LP Studio, purely because I rarely actually play guitar, so it seems a bit of a waste having it when a cheap strat/tele or something would probably suit me better. I also think I prefer the longer scale length, what with bass being my main pickup.

But then I plug it into an overdriven tube amp and the sound makes me happy :p

Keep it! Sounds like you'd regret it!

Seconded.

Guitars also don't lose value so its not like you have to feel guilty for keeping it.

Unless you need the money now, in which case sell it and buy another one down the line when you can afford it again. :)

Back
Top Bottom