Amazon Prime sucks massive donkey balls

Caporegime
Just found a series on Amazon.com (available nowhere else legally) that I was interested in buying, maybe.

Amazon US price : $8 for the series.
Amazon UK price : £12 for the series.

Amazon US per episode : 99c
Amazon UK per episode : £2

What the actual?

Are we the new Australia? Everything must cost a crapload more, because the UK is stupid enough to pony up? This has nothing to do with exchange rates either.

Since they only have 1 series out of 4, and it's ancient, I'ma go acquire it, somehow, from somewhere else. Amazon can suck my meatballs.

Man of Honour
Are we the new Australia? Everything must cost a crapload more, because the UK is stupid enough to pony up? This has nothing to do with exchange rates either.

While there is probably some aspect of that - there is a whole mess of regional licensing, etc. as well involved - a company may have the rights to distribution in the UK that is different to elsewhere and either set the terms and hence price directly for the UK market or as part of the agreement with UK distributors they have to charge a higher price, etc. even if other distributor(s) aren't actively using those rights to broadcast or sell right now!

Associate
Amazon are really peeing me off recently.

Last week ordered an item, out for delivery before 9pm. Tracking showed the driver passed the end of my road about 8:45 after getting the "5 stops away" etc. Nothing, and about 30 mins later tracking was updated to "there is a delay". Contact support, item may not have been on the van. Brilliant.

Today, waiting for my Oneplus Nord pre order "arriving today". Noticed its not been dispatched yet so contact support. Its not in stock and "their system cannot cope with live stock situation". Cancelled the order, and prime.

Had exactly the same issue with OnePlus 7 6 months after release. Didn't dispatch overnight, not in the morning of delivery, not in afternoon, so forget it being 'out for delivery'. This happened twice until I contacted them to ask wtf was going on, didn't get an answer but instead a refund. First & only time I've any real problems with Amazon. I've ordered more expensive items from Amazon without issue.

Soldato
Just found a series on Amazon.com (available nowhere else legally) that I was interested in buying, maybe.

What the actual?

Since they only have 1 series out of 4, and it's ancient, I'ma go acquire it, somehow, from somewhere else. Amazon can suck my meatballs.
And Amazon is one of the American corps accused of not paying their share of UK taxes.
Recent news is that Amazon will create 7000 jobs in the UK. Great, on the face of it. Concerning is that we quickly seem to sell UK companies, including defence companies to foreign owners. What will it mean if a large % of the workforce will be working for companies domiciled abroad, especially a single country? Leave the EU but we're going to end up being controlled by foreign companies/countries anyway? Trump says increasing tax on US tech companies will jeopardise Brexit deal with them for example.
I like Amazon and tend to keep Prime running. Netflix I join and leave every so often and just binge watch movies im interested in. I think we should be taxing the big tech companies more appropriately, even if they have created a lot of jobs here.

Permabanned
Getting fed up with Prime. They used to be awesome, same day delivery on many products and guaranteed next day for 99% of their stock. My Astro A50s died so I want to order new ones. £250 on Amazon which is the going rate, great thinks I, I'll order it on Prime Now and have it in a couple of hours. Price? £350. £100 more for same day delivery. Fair enough, I can use an alternative for the night and get them delivered tomorrow. Can I? No. Wednesday soonest. It's not like I live in the sticks either.

Prime cancelled. Not worth paying extra for delivery which can be had free elsewhere.

/Rant

I like their CS. They are really good when it comes to sorting orders out.

Soldato

What the actual?

Yup. We get screwed for sporting events too, I think I read UK is the only country that you can't watch all F1 and Premier league live for free because of the Sky exclusivity deals.

Associate
I had a delivery of 7 items, selection of 1/8" router cutters for CNC mill and set of ER11 collets. So guy knocks on door and says he needs ID - passport or photo driving license. I said that's garbage, I'm like 65 (obviously not under 18 lol) and this stuff shouldn't need it anyway - plus I have a paper driving license and my passport is buried in a drawer someplace. Oh no, guy insists one or the other is needed. I told him to take the lot and shove it in his... van. Went on Amazon Orders and cancelled the lot. I could maybe understand if it was a kitchen knife etc., in fact I had some of those delivered 6 months ago and the guy took one look at me and just handed them over, but nobody is going to go on the rampage with a 1/8" endmill.

Soldato
Doesn't seem unreasonable - if amazon deliver alcohol they ask too, it's part of the process.

Was wondering if their much advertised new Alan Partridge podcasts, are worth listening too.

Was contemplating some purchases from Wish, having previously used aliexpress without problems,
what's the wish deal on pricing ? the google shopping listed prices for wish are not the same as you get when you click on the link, is there something deceitful about them.

Caporegime
OP
Doesn't seem unreasonable - if amazon deliver alcohol they ask too, it's part of the process.

Was wondering if their much advertised new Alan Partridge podcasts, are worth listening too.

Was contemplating some purchases from Wish, having previously used aliexpress without problems,
what's the wish deal on pricing ? the google shopping listed prices for wish are not the same as you get when you click on the link, is there something deceitful about them.

Have a look on Youtube, there's an entire following for Wish, where folks order things and see what they get. Every order is effectively a gamble. Good for views, awful for expecting anything you actually ordered.

Associate
:eek:Lol - if that had been a few years ago I would have said you ordered a pack of 48 AA batteries and that's the way they packed them - 1 box per battery.:D
Its odd now they have gone the other way and sometime don't put any packaging at all and just send the item out

Soldato
:eek:Lol - if that had been a few years ago I would have said you ordered a pack of 48 AA batteries and that's the way they packed them - 1 box per battery.:D
Its odd now they have gone the other way and sometime don't put any packaging at all and just send the item out

You laugh but a few years ago I ordered 600 laptop screws from Dell who sent me 1,200 boxes and 600 jiffy bags

Soldato
ok Oracle..what in the boxes???

see adverts for Wish on Facebook all the time...genuinely have no idea what some of the stuff they're selling is or does, but also don't want to sign up /install the app to find out :o

Soldato
I thought i got to many amazon parcels, are you furnishing the whole house through amazon??

In a strange turn of events, I tried to order 500 webcams and 2,000 headsets for work so people could do remote working, and those on-site could do teams meetings.

Tried all our usual suppliers, but the stock of what we wanted had all dried up.

So, I turned to Amazon. The first order I placed on our works account got rejected by the bank, so we had to clear it first with them. Amazon emailed to say everything had been cancelled.

I ordered it again, which also failed through Amazon fraud prevention team.

Tried on my personal account and it went through.

Then a couple of days later I started recieving parcels from the very first order I placed.

To cut a long story short, even though amazon had cancelled the orders and removed them from the accounts, they had charged us, and started the shipping process.

Looks like 1,500 webcams and 6,000 headsets are all coming over the next few days lol

Spoken to work, and we've decided to keep them all and will be deploying them.

Fortunately they are coming to my house, as now work has had had a positive covid case so we're all in lockdown for two weeks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom