• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What should I expect from next gen GPU performance?

Soldato
When 4k was less common people were saying they would much rather have 1440p at 144hz + because 60hz is horrendous.

Now 4k is the current push people are now saying they hope for 4k60 for Cyberpunk etc.

Is 60fps all fine and dandy again?

I have a 165hz 1440p monitor. When I upgrade my pc I feel it will need to go alongside a 4k 120hz oled tv and give me 120fps. I don't mind a console being incapable of this but if a Gpu around £800 and a new cpu, mobo don't get me close then I'll feel a bit miffed.

Should I be seeing this as the first step towards 4k gaming or are we saying this generation has 4k wrapped up already?

Lets say I get a 3080 and a Ryzen 4000 series.

Would I be justified in being annoyed if £1500+ wasn't getting me constant 60+fps on every game at 4k.

What are other people's expectations?

Associate
60fps is fine when using a TV and a controller. I will be using a 3080 at 1440/144 and 4k/60, should do 4k/60 quite easily as the 2080ti could already do that.

I find above 60hz to be more noticeable using a mouse/kb as you make more snappy movements.

Soldato
Its looking like the RTX 3080 and 3090 will be the fastest GPUs available this year, simply because they offer 29 and 35 TFlops without overclocking. A hypothetical 3080 @2.1 ghz would offer 36 TFlops.

Still - as always, its better to wait to see what AMD can offer. If nothing else, waiting for all GPUs to be released could bring down some prices.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a 165hz 1440p monitor. When I upgrade my pc I feel it will need to go alongside a 4k 120hz oled tv and give me 120fps. I don't mind a console being incapable of this but if a Gpu around £800 and a new cpu, mobo don't get me close then I'll feel a bit miffed.
Depends on the game. Cyberpunk you'll probably get nowhere near 100fps at 4k but that's just IMO.

Grunt won't be there for a solid very high frame rate at 4k if we're talking next gen games, unless it's something well optimised like Doom

GAC

GAC

Soldato
how longs a piece of string.....

end of the day a 3080 will TODAY do 4k60. now what will it do in 12-24 months when newer games come out who knows, also its not just the card its down to the devs and publishers actually making use of the power rather than being lazy and expecting it to just brute force everything to save a few weeks of dev time making the game run more efficiently.

but as always wait for reviews and see how they perform.

Soldato
Play a game at 60fps and see if you like it. Play a flight sim at 30fps and it'll also probably be fine. You don't need a forum to tell you what's good/bad/acceptable. Smooth, stutter free gameplay above 40fps is what I strive for where possible, and Gsync helps the overall experience a lot.

Soldato
120 fps is useful for competitive play / esports tournaments, particulary in games that benefit from faster player responses.

Does it make playing games more enjoyable though? Personally, I find 50-60 fps is enough for smooth gameplay.

Another way to think of it is - how many individual events per second is it useful for players to perceive, for the type of game? Real time strategy games can show many different units firing or moving etc, even at low frame rates.

Games just need enough frames to represent gameplay, ideally without immersion breaking things like stuttering.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well 4K/60 isn’t a reality today. It’s just not for many games. But yes I accept it is for some with less demanding graphics.

The 3080 should do 4K/60 on the more demanding titles but no better and once it’s released and newer games come out I suspect it will quickly slip below the 60 marker point.

Soldato
I won't go back to 60fps, personally. I'd rather turn settings down than compromise on framerate. I'd love to get rid of this stupid 1440p/165Hz G-Sync monitor I have since it's now pointless and limiting after Nvidia's embarrassing climbdown, but I refuse to do so until there's a 4K/144Hz option with decent HDR at a reasonable price.

Soldato
Play a game at 60fps and see if you like it. Play a flight sim at 30fps and it'll also probably be fine. You don't need a forum to tell you what's good/bad/acceptable. Smooth, stutter free gameplay above 40fps is what I strive for where possible, and Gsync helps the overall experience a lot.

I agree with this. With Gsync frames in the 40s are perfectly playable. I played Odyssey on my 1080 at 1440p and average fps was in the mid 40s but with Gysnc it was lovely and smooth.

Depends on the game of course also.

Soldato
So much hype with 144hz honestly. I felt like I was blind after I got my monitor and didn't really feel much real world difference between 60 and 100+ fps.

The difference between 30 and 60 is way more pronounced.

Back
Top Bottom