BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Nothing stopping you setting up Pi-Hole. Disable the DHCP server in the BT Hub and enable the DHCP server in Pi-Hole.

It's not ideal I'll admit but it's doable.

Tried that, everything thats on my network with a physical cable connection worked fine, but all the wireless stuff just wouldnt get an IP address.
Pihole shows no requests for addresses, soon as i switch the router dhcp back on everything works again.

Last edited:
Soldato
Very strange. DHCP doesn't know or care about the transport medium so if it works for a device connected by ethernet it should work for something connected over wifi.

If I get some time later I may dig out my SmartHub 2 and see if it'll work. I know it should, I'm using the DHCP server in Pi-Hole on a guest network at one of the offices and everything there is connecting wirelessly.

Soldato
Very strange. DHCP doesn't know or care about the transport medium so if it works for a device connected by ethernet it should work for something connected over wifi.

If I get some time later I may dig out my SmartHub 2 and see if it'll work. I know it should, I'm using the DHCP server in Pi-Hole on a guest network at one of the offices and everything there is connecting wirelessly.

I think the issue is more anything thats on at the time already has a working IP. Anything that requests a new one doesnt get a reply, things like my router and NAS have a fixed IP, PC is on so thats okay. But trying my phone for instance turn the wifi off then on it wont get an IP.

I should mention Pihole is running on my Asustor NAS. So i wonder if the NAS needs to settings tweaking also.

Associate
Friday has been and gone an I am officially on FTTP

82kKuZ6.jpg

Its strange being able to download games in a matter of minutes where before I would have to leave them over night it would take that long......

Soldato
My contract is coming to an end at the end of the month and they expect me to pay more for the same service. I can never understand why companies do this sort of ****, surely they would want to keep hold of the custom. Anyway, i'm now looking to move to someone else and try get some cashback along the way.

Soldato
My contract is coming to an end at the end of the month and they expect me to pay more for the same service. I can never understand why companies do this sort of ****, surely they would want to keep hold of the custom. Anyway, i'm now looking to move to someone else and try get some cashback along the way.
I think you'll find they make more money by taking advantage of the people that just let services carry on as opposed to the ones that keep an eye on things.

Soldato
It’s not really ‘taking advantage’, it’s quite clear what the price is after the ‘new customer discount’ finished when you sign up.

People are just lazy and don’t bother trying to get a better deal. That said if everyone switched there wouldn’t be a ‘new customer discount’ and the price would be the price. ‘Loyal customers’ effectively subsidise new customer accusation ‘discounts’.

If people don’t want to shop around, I’m happy to take the discounts they are subsiding.

Associate
Openreach have been installing FTTP down my road for the last month or so and digging trenches to each house. The pipe leading up to the wall of my house has had a rope attached for a few weeks now so I am assuming that it will be ready to go fairly soon.

Part of the contract with the Gigabit voucher scheme we used for the fibre installation is we have to sign up to a provider within 2 months. I have been having a browse round to see what packages would be available but all require a postcode and mine is not showing up yet.

What companies,price and packages are you guys using? I know I could just go with BT but unsure if this is the best option.

Many Thanks

Associate
Is it a FTTPoD install or regular FTTP? I ask as you mention the voucher scheme.

Good question, I am not sure of the answer.

I have just had a quick read through of all the details I have to hand and cannot see FTTPoD mentioned anywhere. So I assume regular FTTP?

The project cost was £21k and the plans indicate that this would be a build from ground up installation, not sure if that helps determine if FTTP or FTTPod

Caporegime
Good question, I am not sure of the answer.

I have just had a quick read through of all the details I have to hand and cannot see FTTPoD mentioned anywhere. So I assume regular FTTP?

The project cost was £21k and the plans indicate that this would be a build from ground up installation, not sure if that helps determine if FTTP or FTTPod
So did you have to specifically request FTTP, involving an Openreach survey and upfront costs? If so, FTTPoD.

Man of Honour
It sounds like it to me, and usually with FTTPoD whoever ordered it will be stuck with the provider (usually Cerberus) for the first year I think. Although properties passed, which your house might be one of are welcome to order native services. If so, I think there's only Zen and BT doing it currently.

Associate
Hello, Yes we had to pay for the installation upfront using the vouchers (hence the requirement to sign up with an Openreach approved FTTP provider) and it also involved a survey from Openreach so sounds like it could well be FTTPod.

Is this a good thing or bad thing? Would this effect which providers I could use?

This was the voucher scheme we used - https://gigabitvoucher.culture.gov.uk/

Caporegime
Hello, Yes we had to pay for the installation upfront using the vouchers (hence the requirement to sign up with an Openreach approved FTTP provider) and it also involved a survey from Openreach so sounds like it could well be FTTPod.

Is this a good thing or bad thing? Would this effect which providers I could use?

This was the voucher scheme we used - https://gigabitvoucher.culture.gov.uk/
Shouldn’t affect who you use, no. There are limited options though!

Caporegime
It's not FTTPoD, it's a demand-led Community Fibre deployment. You can sign up with any FTTP provider that uses the Openreach network. This includes BT, Sky, TalkTalk, Zen.

Are you in Northern Ireland?

Associate
It's not FTTPoD, it's a demand-led Community Fibre deployment. You can sign up with any FTTP provider that uses the Openreach network. This includes BT, Sky, TalkTalk, Zen.

Are you in Northern Ireland?

Not Northern Ireland I am just out Basingstoke on the Hampshire/Berkshire border. "demand-led Community Fibre deployment" is very descriptive to what me and my neighbours have done so I think your are correct.

Is there any standout companies that I should be looking at or are they all very similar in the services they provide, i am not interested in telephone services really unless they are chucked in for free.

Soldato
Ok so now I'm confused.

The Openreach checker has been updated with some additional info and, when I check my address, it has an 'N' against FTTP Priority Exchange, with this text below:

"The premise/line is associated with exchange which is NOT part of current fibre priority programme"

This suggests it's not part of the current FTTP rollout plan yet my area is full covered on the Fibre First website map and putting my address into that says FTTP is on the way.

What on earth?!

Soldato
Ignore it. It says exactly the same thing against my house (where I've had FTTP for about 3 months) and my parents house (in the same town as mine) where Openreach were pulling fibre in on Friday.

I guess a priority premise isn't necessarily one that's currently being rolled out.

My phone number:
5ncrupd.png

My parents phone number:
354d0eh.png

The checker for my parents number has updated overnight to show that FTTPoD is available up to 1000/220. When it changed like that for my number I was able to order FTTP about a week later so in theory I should be able to get installed for my parents fairly soon.

Edit - FTTP is now available to order at my parents house. So only a few days after Openreach did run fibre run.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom