Rule Britannia or not?

Soldato
if you heard the BBC r4 news report, intentional or not, they faded the song out, just before ... maybe it's always been too long as a sound-bite.

choir - thought the men would in front of the women they probably project further ... did they all take precautionary tests ... or, like football teams?

choir doesn't have any coloured representation , but seems that is not unique https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sERiPuOQyvo

There is often representation with soloists and also musicians in tha orchestra. But yes it seems that choirs singing classical repertoire do not attract many people of colour. Perhaps it is cultural?

Permabanned
The discussion of the singing of the nationalistic song "Rule Brittania" appears to have emboldened a group of vigilante private coastguards in speedboats. They listen to official coastguard and RNLI radio traffic and attempt to turn migrant boats away from UK waters, (seemingly with little success so far given the massive rise in migrants being safely put ashore by our authorities in Dover).

I have of course phrased the title and text in a tongue in cheek manner to save those of hug a migrant persuasion the trouble of linking those wishing to pressurise our government to actually do something Draconian to stop this people trafficking business, with the rendition of a rousing song in the Albert Hall ;)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/wedding-dj-jeremy-davis-sets-up-anti-migrant-patrols-p7zl8dkvq

I have to say Jeremy Davis looks an unlikely pirate, and would suggest the first stage in adopting a more terrifying appearance would be the removal of his hair curlers... But I do like the idea of pressure being brought to bear by such innovative means. Short of sinking the migrant boats quite how efficacious this will prove is debatable however. At least it keeps the fact we are facing more than the virus as a threat to the country in the public eye.

Soldato
I thought you were going to say they approached the boats like the Apocalypse now, helicopter arrival.

- sounds like a good holiday activity for those folks who would be doing paedophile entrapment, at home.

Soldato
That's a little disingenuous. The Normans took control of half of France after they'd conquered England. They'd barely been here 5 minutes.
Yes it was a legacy bequest from the conqueror to following monarchs. France was fought over and mainly lost through many generations. An interesting time in history.

Soldato
The discussion of the singing of the nationalistic song "Rule Brittania" appears to have emboldened a group of vigilante private coastguards in speedboats. They listen to official coastguard and RNLI radio traffic and attempt to turn migrant boats away from UK waters, (seemingly with little success so far given the massive rise in migrants being safely put ashore by our authorities in Dover).

I have of course phrased the title and text in a tongue in cheek manner to save those of hug a migrant persuasion the trouble of linking those wishing to pressurise our government to actually do something Draconian to stop this people trafficking business, with the rendition of a rousing song in the Albert Hall ;)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/wedding-dj-jeremy-davis-sets-up-anti-migrant-patrols-p7zl8dkvq

I have to say Jeremy Davis looks an unlikely pirate, and would suggest the first stage in adopting a more terrifying appearance would be the removal of his hair curlers... But I do like the idea of pressure being brought to bear by such innovative means. Short of sinking the migrant boats quite how efficacious this will prove is debatable however. At least it keeps the fact we are facing more than the virus as a threat to the country in the public eye.

Vigilantes pretending to be the coastguard, accosting overloaded boats full of migrants, in one of the World's busiest shipping lanes, at night.....oh yeah this can only end well.

Permabanned
Vigilantes pretending to be the coastguard, accosting overloaded boats full of migrants, in one of the World's busiest shipping lanes, at night.....oh yeah this can only end well.

I hope the vigilantes are competent seamen, don't take too many risks, and stay safe, at least they are discouraging illegality, instead of condoning and rewarding it as are our funded coastguards and RNLI.

Soldato
It is a matter of life and death though our country could be over run at any moment as ever refugee in the world is on te way! Immigration is the second most important issue in the country behind securing a no deal Brexit. Is there a pandemic still happening?

Soldato
I hope the vigilantes are competent seamen, don't take too many risks, and stay safe, at least they are discouraging illegality, instead of condoning and rewarding it as are our funded coastguards and RNLI.

Generally speaking the phrase "competent" and "vigilante" don't tend to appear together too often. The approach to people trafficking should focus on the gangs themselves rather than the individuals who are attempting the crossing, particularly when those engagements are likely to happen at see in circumstances that are dangerous for all those involved. if they're in the water get them to shore safely (UK or France side, I don't care), process them, and deport where appropriate. The majority of the effort in regards to reducing crossings should be focused on a) cross nation processing of asylum applications on the French side so they don't need to cross b) a crackdown on people smuggling operations, as they are the one's who are preying on migrants and causing the issue for the border force. Demonising the people trying to make the crossing and setting up a presumably poorly trained, poorly equipped, and unsanctioned border militia is absolutely not the way to go.

Caporegime
So how long is it going to be before there is a tragic "accident" and they sink one of the migrant boats and all the passengers drown? Not long I expect.

Soldato
So how long is it going to be before there is a tragic "accident" and they sink one of the migrant boats and all the passengers drown? Not long I expect.

I expect some leftist group will begin ferrying them over with boats paid for by a gofundme before that happens

Permabanned

Perhaps if the government made some Draconian moves to make such illegal crossing pointless, rather than assisting and encouraging them, then patriots would not feel obliged to take matters into their own hands? To discourage something you need to make it have a negative impact on the perpetrator, so far the government have not done this.

Soldato
Doubt it unless they move quickly. I fully expect their to be a tragic accident with the vigilantes within days.

You can't have an open border for what are essentially economic migrants and not expect a negative public reaction, if you don't want British citizens going vigilant then blame the French for letting it happen. Why aren't the migrants being looked after properly in France? Why aren't the Police stopping the gangs over there arranging the crossings?

Caporegime
You can't have an open border for what are essentially economic migrants and not expect a negative public reaction, if you don't want British citizens going vigilant then blame the French for letting it happen. Why aren't the migrants being looked after properly in France? Why aren't the Police stopping the gangs over there arranging the crossings?

No i blame our Govt. We have had 4 years to prepare for this. How many immigration/customs boats and trained staff do you think we have added during that time?

Why are you demanding other countries protect our borders? Whats wrong with doing it ourselves?

Its stuff like this which is why I voted remain as I knew our Govt wouldn't put the money into protecting our borders.

Ignoring this one issue of the boat crossings, pre covid most illegal immigration is still through the ports and airports in this country. We need tens of thousands of staff training up like other countries did immediately after we voted leave.

We dont even have enough boats to stop anybody illegally fishing in our waters.

Caporegime
Perhaps if the government made some Draconian moves to make such illegal crossing pointless, rather than assisting and encouraging them, then patriots would not feel obliged to take matters into their own hands? To discourage something you need to make it have a negative impact on the perpetrator, so far the government have not done this.

Isnt the issue that old chestnut of "International Law" again? Perhaps thats another one we should break.

Soldato
Come October, November there will be tragic accidents. Absolutely no doubt. Unless refugees are dissuaded from embarking on a 22 mile sea trip in seas that will be a lot worse than the paddle it is now.

Storms can blow up in hours, squalls, zero visibility and no radar signature, large ships in a busy sea lane. Some boats may never be known about.

Permabanned
Isnt the issue that old chestnut of "International Law" again? Perhaps thats another one we should break.

The government are considering totally legal ways of bypassing the obfuscation of the original intent of "human rights law" by well funded barristers and judges with zero regard to the cost to our country by their shenanigans :

Britain is preparing to opt out of major parts of European human rights laws, risking an explosive new row with the EU.

Boris Johnson's aides and ministers are drawing up proposals to severely curb the use of human rights laws in areas in which judges have "overreached".

The plans under discussion include opt-outs from the Human Rights Act, which could prevent many migrants and asylum seekers from using the legislation to avoid deportation and protect British soldiers against claims relating to overseas operations. The Act allows British courts to apply the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR).

The move sets up a major new confrontation with the EU, which has been demanding that the UK commits to remaining signed up to the ECHR and keep the Human Rights Act in place as the price of future "law enforcement co-operation" between the bloc and Britain.

Soldato
Most likely there have already been accidents and no one has noticed. I think the current heads out in to the Atlantic so any bodies may never be found.

Back
Top Bottom