• UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters

fez

fez

Caporegime
Why would Sony care about the price of the next gen Xbox? Whats £50 for a games console when it comes to what you want from your gaming. If you want to get the AAA titles like CoD and play old games on the cheap and your mates play Xbox then you get an Xbox. If you want to play the best console exclusives or your mates are all on PS you get a Playstation.

£50 for the sake of missing out on some of the best games in a console generation seems like a weird decision.

Associate
Why would Sony care about the price of the next gen Xbox? Whats £50 for a games console when it comes to what you want from your gaming. If you want to get the AAA titles like CoD and play old games on the cheap and your mates play Xbox then you get an Xbox. If you want to play the best console exclusives or your mates are all on PS you get a Playstation.

£50 for the sake of missing out on some of the best games in a console generation seems like a weird decision.
Whilst I (and most of this board) will probably agree with you, that is the argument of a gamer buying for himself..........XsX makes a compelling case to a parent if it's cheaper, more powerful, can guarantee a portfolio of games for the price of GamePass, and has a very good 0% route to purchase - buy the XsX and GamePass and there's no real reason to pay out anything else, but buy the PS5 and you still need to shell out for games at £50 a time!

Caporegime
I don't know how I feel about this. I feel like having a punt at prices so I'm going to go with £449 for the digital and £499 for optical.

I really want to get both PS5+XSX now after having decided I'm not continuing with PC gaming anymore. So that extra £50 would be a bit of a bummer in the grand scheme of things. It's £50 less I have to spend on the 1TB SSD upgrade cartridge. :p

Soldato
I really want to get both PS5+XSX now after having decided I'm not continuing with PC gaming anymore. So that extra £50 would be a bit of a bummer in the grand scheme of things. It's £50 less I have to spend on the 1TB SSD upgrade cartridge. :p

Yeah I can appreciate that. I'm considering a new build with a 3080/90 and wait until PS5 hardware refresh too. I took 1.5 years to get a Switch and I had a fair few games to play at that point.

Soldato
I don't know how I feel about this. I feel like having a punt at prices so I'm going to go with £449 for the digital and £499 for optical.

I wouldn't be hugely shocked. £50 difference seems much more reasonable, unless you subscribe to the idea that PS5 Digital is getting a big subsidy, funded by future digital sales revenue. I mean, they could do this. But it seems like a big financial commitment and risk for the market leader to take. I'm surprised how many people seem committed to the idea, basically setting themselves up for disappointment. If it happens, then that's awesome. But there's every chance it won't.

Also, those hoping for PS5D to be £349. £100 more than Series S? Again, maybe. But it seems a bit of a stretch given the extra hardware it's packing.

I'd love to be wrong. A digital PS5 for £349 would be very tempting. But I'm not getting my hopes up. I'd sooner expect £449/£499 and get a nice surprise, than set myself up for disappointment.

Last edited:
Associate
I feel like a Digital version could come in at $399/£349 and The Disc version at $499/£449.
I would love to see a version in Black with larger storage, I would definitely pay more for that model!

Associate
I honestly can't see them matching the XsX price with the disc version....... Because that would leave them in a quandary with pricing the digital version. They'd need to price the digital far enough below the regular to make it worthwhile, but if they did that then they'd lose a fortune on each one...... And that would require a hell of a tie in rate to make that up through digital sales.
They are in a pickle either way. Pricing the disc version above the XSX while packing considerably less GPU grunt would not sit well with most people. The digital version needs to be substantially cheaper to convince people to get it over the disc version, I'd say around £100 cheaper, and they REALLY want people to get the digital version because it's more profitable for them and prevents second hand sales. My prediction is £449 and £349.

Associate
They are in a pickle either way. Pricing the disc version above the XSX while packing considerably less GPU grunt would not sit well with most people. The digital version needs to be substantially cheaper to convince people to get it over the disc version, I'd say around £100 cheaper, and they REALLY want people to get the digital version because it's more profitable for them and prevents second hand sales. My prediction is £449 and £349.

I agree with you. But wager £400 and £500 instead.

Soldato
I honestly can't see them matching the XsX price with the disc version....... Because that would leave them in a quandary with pricing the digital version. They'd need to price the digital far enough below the regular to make it worthwhile, but if they did that then they'd lose a fortune on each one...... And that would require a hell of a tie in rate to make that up through digital sales.
If they price the digital at just £100 less than optical at £449 that's just two game sales to make up the difference.

Soldato

I think you are overlooking the fact that PlayStation is the preferred console for many. Ps4 outsold xbox one by a significant amount. That brand loyalty and dependable catalogue of exclusives will mean they can quite confidently price it near the Xbox and still pick up sales.

Don't forget its SSD tech is ahead of series x so its not completely one sided.

Soldato
But what renders what you see ? The GPU. So it IS the most important aspect of the consoles, exactly why the PS4 was more popular than the Xbox One due to having more grunt.

Have you compared Ratchet and Clank footage to Halo Infinite? Sony have demonstrated far more impressive games than Microsoft.

It may have more tflops but the real world difference will be negligible. Look at new Nvidia gpus. They are pushing like 30tflops. Almost 3 times the number in a 2080. Is it looking 3 times faster? Nope.

Soldato
But what renders what you see ? The GPU. So it IS the most important aspect of the consoles, exactly why the PS4 was more popular than the Xbox One due to having more grunt.
The whole debate of GPU is pointless imo reason being the average parent, kid themselves will not be looking at the consol in the shops saying "sir, which one has more teraflops?"

PS4 didn't win down to it's GPU it won due to its game catalog and in part being cheaper

Back
Top Bottom