***Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice***

Soldato
Ran pretty much perfectly for me at 1440p around max settings when I had the 1070 so I don't think there's anything to be worried about.
No crashes as well.

Soldato
Have been playing Sekiro again after giving up about 10 months ago (felt the game was really difficult back then), can't believe I am right at the last boss now :) and the game seems to be much easier than I remember. Great game although kinda confusing for me to know where to go at any time so had to use guides a lot and also watched a lot of strategies for bosses as I don't have the patience to just keep on trying to figure things on my own.

Let's hope I can kill the last story boss :)

EDIT: Man this final boss fight takes some practise and takes a very long time to do unless you have super human skill. Managed to kill 3rd and 4th form using the umbrella :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Have been playing Sekiro again after giving up about 10 months ago (felt the game was really difficult back then), can't believe I am right at the last boss now :) and the game seems to be much easier than I remember. Great game although kinda confusing for me to know where to go at any time so had to use guides a lot and also watched a lot of strategies for bosses as I don't have the patience to just keep on trying to figure things on my own.

Let's hope I can kill the last story boss :)

EDIT: Man this final boss fight takes some practise and takes a very long time to do unless you have super human skill. Managed to kill 3rd and 4th form using the umbrella :)

Congrats, have you doen the demon fo hatred aswell or is that final hurdle still left to do?

Soldato
Congrats, have you doen the demon fo hatred aswell or is that final hurdle still left to do?

I have not done the 2 hardest optional bosses yet :) I still have few mini bosses left the last Owl and the Demon of Hatred, some of these optional bosses are super had apparently so probably will not spend too much time on them, I am very happy I have manged to get as far as I did.

Soldato
Wanted to share a quick tip about the ceramic shards. If you press against the wall near a corner, peak and throw one at an enemy (not near him like in Metal Gear Solid, target him and throw directly at him). He will come to your corner to investigate, so remain pressed against the wall and wait for him. Once he is close enough, press R1 and you will see a custom deathblow animation. Super-super useful against tough enemies and for splitting groups.
Masterpiece of a game btw! :) The most fun sword combat gameplay mechanics that i have experienced. Swords are brutal and violent, and the timing deflection system is super satisfying. And it promotes quickly-ending aggressive fights. I did not think swordplay could be this good this side of VR.

Hated Souls games btw as 400 pounds knights rolling around doing constant poke-dogde-poke-dodge thing was super unrealistic and boring.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is the hardest game I've ever played. I would honestly love the pants off this thing but the frustration -/+ enjoyment factor is way off balance. I do enjoy a challenge in games but there comes a point after hours and hours were you look back on how you've just spent your time and think, was that worth it? And in this case, it isn't. I play games to unwind and relax but it seems impossible with this game. I genuinely don't know how some of you guys do it.

It's a shame because it's so much like Tenchu which is one of my favourite game series. I know I would love the world and lore but it refuses to let me enjoy it. I wish there was a "chicken" difficulty setting, like you have to select it in a hidden menu or something and it disables achievements and stuff, just an option to allow me into the world they've created without fearing a single wrong twitch of my thumb.

But in other news! FromSoftware should totally do a Tenchu game. I love the darker, more serious tones in their game worlds and the level design. Just... don't give it Sekiro difficulty. There's got to be a happier medium they can find.

Soldato
Sekiro IS Tenchu imo(plus the bosses. Although I've never gone too far in Tenchu2 as it was too hard :p I seem to remember some zombie level there which was boring and hard as hell, so I've given up). Maybe I am not far enough in Sekiro (boss wise, I've beaten Gyobu, lady Butterfly, Genichiro and the folding monkeys to get the imoortal blade), but so far the difficulty is good. The game definitely made me respect ALL of my enemies, but with using stealth, practicing combat with my immortal sparring partner at the temple, and keeping actual combat to 1v1 rather than 1vMany - I am really enjoying it.

Practicing combat I think is key. It took several ten minute sessions to get jumping over unblockable sweep attacks, mikiri counters against unblockable stabbing attacks and general parrying mechanics to the level where I stopped fumbling up button presses and was able to focus on the actual fights. Plus, I sometimes purposefully start 1v1 fights against some enemies even when a stealth kill would be easy. Ashina Dodjo blue robe samurai, feathered rooftop nightjars, spearmen, fat giants, etc. Some are placed specifically for this kind of practice fights I feel.

The Chained Ogre mini-boss was the hardest to beat, followed by Genichiro. But I felt growing as a player and it felt good :)
Ashina Elite Jinsuke Saze mini-boss was my favourite boss in the game. The fight takes 1 minute, but the intensity is greater than all other boss fights put together :) Such a cool fight...

PS I must also thank this guy for his beautiful guide to Sekiro, as without him I would have struggled a lot more than i did. Love how he's in in part 12 now for me and is yet to die for the first time as well :D : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7RtZMiaOk8i_vKhswYLM-3-swaEd9Cft

Soldato
This is the hardest game I've ever played. I would honestly love the pants off this thing but the frustration -/+ enjoyment factor is way off balance. I do enjoy a challenge in games but there comes a point after hours and hours were you look back on how you've just spent your time and think, was that worth it? And in this case, it isn't. I play games to unwind and relax but it seems impossible with this game. I genuinely don't know how some of you guys do it.

It's a shame because it's so much like Tenchu which is one of my favourite game series. I know I would love the world and lore but it refuses to let me enjoy it. I wish there was a "chicken" difficulty setting, like you have to select it in a hidden menu or something and it disables achievements and stuff, just an option to allow me into the world they've created without fearing a single wrong twitch of my thumb.

But in other news! FromSoftware should totally do a Tenchu game. I love the darker, more serious tones in their game worlds and the level design. Just... don't give it Sekiro difficulty. There's got to be a happier medium they can find.

When I first started playing this I didn't like it. Not only was it too hard, but I couldn't play it correctly with a mouse and keyboard.

140 hrs later is a bloody excellent game. The frustration part is part of the game.

You will get pummelled a hundred times each time you fight a bosses. you end up realizing you need to learn their moves and what they are going to do and just adapt and counter it.

It's an excellent game.

Soldato
I liked it so much that I didn't stop untill 100% which took me 60-65h so really good value. I completely missed the update so maybe it's time to install it again:D

The hardest boss for me was Hirata Owl, too me like more than 20 really focused attempts whereas I somehow dealt with the Glock Saint:p in around 8.

I loved the difficulty level, properly challenging but not overly hard, just like Bloodborne. Not sure which one was harder, people say Sekiro is but I'd say they're pretty close. Demon of Hatred is also basically a Bloodborne boss:D

Soldato
I also think that difficulty is one of the things that make this masterpiece. Having said that, playing the game like the Tenchu successor that it is, I find that I only frequently die on the bosses. The straw hat guys from Sempo Temple are the exception, I get killed even in 1v1 duels. Any tips for actually fighting them, as opposed to one shot stealth killing?

Obligatory Tenchu-like screenshot (and repeat my quick tip from the above: press against the corner, target the enemy and throw a ceramic shard at him directly, he will come to the coroner and meet his one hit death):

20201221162954-1.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Was watching a samurai movie yesterday and had a chuckle:
asa.jpg

Beyond the basket head gear, the film had Sekiro-like OTT blood spays, the main protagonist called "Wolf" and so on. It had direct reference in Tarantino's Kill bill, so there is that too. "Lone wolf and a cub: a sword of vengeance" (1972), available at amazon with subtitles - if Sekiro puts you in the mood for some samurai cinema like it did for me :)

On the game front, I've beaten the Owl boss location yesterday and the game continues to impress. I've only just realised that successful parries (with "CLING!" sound and circular spark effects) can be linked to immediate counterslash that can even break bosses combos. L1 to parry with almost instant R1 slash gets in an unblockable free hit.

Soldato
Completed the game :) The last boss (4 phases Genichiro + Ashina Sword master) was tough. Spent about 4 hours split over two days, treated it like a game within a game and it was a good mindset. If the final boss was some generic monster like the Demon of Hatred (no intention of tackling it) and not samurai on samurai combat I would have given up straight away, but this was genuinely fun.

What surprised me is how much easier the earlier bosses have now become. Genichiro is now an easy first attempt. Same for Guyobu Oniwa. No cheese tactics, just me being much more aggressive and confident. Lady Butterfly took three tries, but more due to me cheesing her with swirl slash first time round. All the fights above took hours just two weeks ago :)

Phenomenal game, although I am a big fan of the setting, and the combat system that really rewards aggressive high stakes approach.

PS Nonetheless, I would love a Tenchu game without the constant flow of minibosses and bosses.

Last edited:
Soldato
Beaten the Demon of Hatred as well as I just could not let this game go :( What an experience! (the game overall, not the demon boss), sad that it is over but happy that i took the plunge despite not liking it on youtube.

Really hope that Ghost of Tsushima will come to the PC, as I really dislike all the Demon Souls/Bloodborne/Star Wars Fallen Order games...

Having said that, GoT's combat doesn't seem to be comparable to sekiro either - unrealistic katana cuts through armour (rather than Sekiro's realisitc stabs through armpits, necks etc), GoT's Mongols being perfect gentlemen and waiting in queue for their turn to attack you (rather than Sekiro's realistic Sengoku period samurai who will gang up all at once, hit you while you're down, shoot you in the back while you're fighting another guy and so on). Oh well, such is life - the grass is green, the sky is blue and masterpieces are rare :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I looked at this after playing Ghosts of Tsushima but never took the plunge. I loved GOT as the battles were not too hard that it became frustrating and if you happened to be getting a bit of a bashing you could go off and power up and come back. I found it challenging in parts but not so tough or frustrating that it caused a wall in progression of the story. After watching a few youtube videos, reviews and spoken to a couple of friends that have attempted it i have a feeling that i would become annoyed and it will be a waste of the money. Maybe when its really cheap and i have nothing else to do.

Associate
Dropped this game and never went back to it after I finally killed the ape boss and I was jumping around the room cheering for myself because I'd been stuck on it

And then it got back up. Alt + F4, uninstall, hide from account

Back
Top Bottom