Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
I'll double check and see if we can ring Virgin for better speeds. Ideally I'd like to stick with Virgin as they are the fastest here.

We do have landlines included, Sky sports, movies channels etc. I think it's the biggest package they did/do.

Soldato
I upgraded to 1Gb yesterday, new hub 4 arrived around 4pm and I plugged it in, had no internet after. They said it would automatically activate so I called them, they said there was a fault in the area that should be fixed by 6pm, sure enough the status checker on the VM website showed the same. What are the chances that the service would go down and pretty much the exact time I plugged in the new modem.

After 6pm it was still down, the status page said there was no problem but there's a status check number you can call, it said there was a problem still, a neighbour over the road didn't have a problem.

At around 9pm it finally came back up, speed test shows around 930mb so not too bad at all.

ipbLL4f.png

Permabanned
Your area must have latest kit with lower latency (be nice to see a BQM Graph) as your ping is nice and low for cable, I am 17-18ms which is better than years ago at 20+ms

Soldato
Your area must have latest kit with lower latency (be nice to see a BQM Graph) as your ping is nice and low for cable, I am 17-18ms which is better than years ago at 20+ms
That ping isn't that low for cable as I've had 8ms for some years. Though I'd love to see a BQM meter for the Super Hub 4 and compare that to the 3.

Last edited:
Permabanned
That ping isn't that low for cable as I've had 8ms for some years. Though I'd love to see a BQM meter for the Super Hub 4 and compare that to the 3.

8ms on VM?

I have had HUB3 and HUB4 and BQM is near the same, I did not have a very messy graph before the Firmware to offload the workload from CPU Chip to WIFI Chip to try hide the Puma Chipset Flaw.

Associate

1. I've had the Oomph package for 6 months and since I've had it I've had 690 Mb/s download. Having the two TIVO boxes has also saved my marriage. ;)
  2. Using which speed test?
  • MartinPrince
    Wise Guy

Using which speed test?
    I've had DU Meter running for years so I've always been able to see what my download speeds are so whatever I'm downloading be it from Steam, FTP etc I can see it tops out at ~690 Mb/s.

Really, nobody told him it was a marriage joke question and not about his broadband ?

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour

The ping is what I've normally got for the past few years. I suspect I'm in a fairly uncongested area and judging from the SSID's there aren't too many VM customers along my street.

This is my BQM

something’s not right somewhere (I suspect with speedtest.net), 8ms on that speedtest but consistently on the BQM it’s never lower than 17/18ms, averaging around 18/19ms.

What do you get on nperf.com ?

Permabanned
nperf.com seems to be a fancier/colourful version of this : proof.ovh.net

Same look and servers.

I would have argued those low pings were not possible on VM with current way it works.

On the VM forum you would think some would post these type results when gamers ask for lower pings and get told to use a non Cable network like ADSL back in the day.

Last edited:

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Looks fine to me, i consistently get <8ms ping on VM.

When I say 'something is not right' I mean because if you look at the BQM it's never recorded a ping that low. If pings were 'consistently' that low as speedtest seems to report, then the BQM would show that, but it doesn't show a single recorded ping that low. So either one or other is wrong.

Soldato
When I say 'something is not right' I mean because if you look at the BQM it's never recorded a ping that low. If pings were 'consistently' that low as speedtest seems to report, then the BQM would show that, but it doesn't show a single recorded ping that low. So either one or other is wrong.
You can probably only make a correlation between the two if they are both taken from the same point. I suspect the Ookla server is much closer than the BQM one. (or VM are somehow gaming the Ookla test. ;))

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
You can probably only make a correlation between the two if they are both taken from the same point. I suspect the Ookla server is much closer than the BQM one. (or VM are somehow gaming the Ookla test. ;))

I agree; I'm just interested in knowing how true/accurate all these speedtests sites (and thinkbb's BQM) are when it comes to pings. I never had a problem with my VM ping, the only problem I did have was rubber banding which was only a frustration when using something like Playstation Now or Google Stadia.

I often found the BQM showed one thing, but if I ran CMD or Terminal and did a ping test I'd often get lower. I suspect the sheer volume of BQMs setup must mean it's not entirely accurate.

Permabanned
I am closer to Glasgow server than he is no doubt in his test (15miles approx) and do not get 7-8ms pings but I know by my latency and talking to others my area does not have 100% new kit yet.

The users on VM forum with BQM graphs with very low latency are in fully upgraded areas.

Soldato
My PC (Wired)

PC.png

And/or

2020-09-02.png

NV Shield TV (Wired):

Shield.png

Mobile Moto Z2 Force (2.5Gb/s USB 3.0/C to Ethernet Adaptor).

Moto-Z2-Force-Ethernet.png

I'm on 1 gig with Virgin and getting at most 750 ish
Although upload seems spot on

Permabanned
What does your HUB4 Stats look (mainly power levels and noise levels) like and have you got a BQM set up?

You could run the built in crap Samknows Software and see your speed from VM to the HUB4 (so you know its not down to your PC etc).

Soldato
Not sure, i have just checked this thread as far back as 2015 and my speedtests show a ping of <8ms so i don't know. :p

Soldato
Just switched to virgin media. Customer service to be polite is near pointless and useless. I have a tp link deco mesh network (4 units all wired). These didn't play well with the frankly useless virgin media router hub.
Virgin told me they don't support 3rd party devices and only gaurentee 1 wired device, maybe 2 and WiFi isn't gaurenteed at all to cover the house (bearly does 1 here)
After being left speechless at the un helpful nature I'm going to have to try modem mode and see.
Deco worked fine with my tplink router wifi but Virgin hub appears to fall apart when you start adding any more than 2 wired devices and deco mesh wifi.
In modem mode is it simple case of using wan port into my tplink AC1900 WiFi router and set up that way (any need for username and password in router set up like with vdsl plusnet?)

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom