The nervous wait to exchange....

UTT

UTT

Associate
This whole process is a nightmare and people on here seem to take different approaches.

Our house is just about to go the market with Strike. We've decided that we no longer want to live on a soulless new build estate with no facilities and want to live somewhere you can walk to the pub/s, shops etc. A week ago we viewed a property in a village we want to move to, house has been on the market since may with practically no viewings, guess what, sold on thursday this week.

Do people find their next house BEFORE selling their current one or AFTER? What if the right property does'nt come on the market and you've agreed to sell? How long do you usually get to find your next house? Last 2 house purchases were new build bought off plan and will not be buying a new build again.

The market is that buoyant that nice property sells in days rather than weeks, our neighbors' house sold in about 2 weeks and i expect ours to get offers pretty quickly.

I feel we made a mistake looking for the next house until we'd sold the current and now face an uphill struggle trying to find something we want, especially as we love our current house but increasingly dislike the area we are in.

Dreading the prospect of selling the house we love, then not having one to move into because we hadn't found one.

thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
This whole process is a nightmare and people on here seem to take different approaches.

Our house is just about to go the market with Strike. We've decided that we no longer want to live on a soulless new build estate with no facilities and want to live somewhere you can walk to the pub/s, shops etc. A week ago we viewed a property in a village we want to move to, house has been on the market since may with practically no viewings, guess what, sold on thursday this week.

Do people find their next house BEFORE selling their current one or AFTER? What if the right property does'nt come on the market and you've agreed to sell? How long do you usually get to find your next house? Last 2 house purchases were new build bought off plan and will not be buying a new build again.

The market is that buoyant that nice property sells in days rather than weeks, our neighbors' house sold in about 2 weeks and i expect ours to get offers pretty quickly.

I feel we made a mistake looking for the next house until we'd sold the current and now face an uphill struggle trying to find something we want, especially as we love our current house but increasingly dislike the area we are in.

Dreading the prospect of selling the house we love than not having one to move into becouse we had'nt found one.

thanks

In England certainly, agents may not accept offers from you if you don't have an agreed offer on your current home.

You need to have someone willing to buy your house at the same time as there is a property you want to buy, no way around it. Chains forming in one direction is simpler t least than trying to form in two.

Soldato
How do you all handle the stresses involved with buying?

Do you suffer with anxiety? How do you cope?

Quite a lot of swearing. Mainly just staying busy with work and not thinking about it too much. Try not to get emotionally invested in a property before you exchange contracts.

Associate
How do you all handle the stresses involved with buying?

Do you suffer with anxiety? How do you cope?

If it's costing you money due to renting, or you have high expectations, then i can see why it would be stressful. For me as a FTB, waiting since end of Feb, i just shrug it off due to none of the above. Life in general is harder than buying a house for me, if buying a house was stressful, hard work, unaffordable, yeah i'd find myself anxious, but also not be doing it. But i'm laid back and saved my ass off.

If you've got a mildly competent solicitor, did homework on the area and house, have a decent reliable property surveyor, -just chill on the waiting game. My plan involved considering future development in the area, if i have kids, change work location, or lose income. So i don't ever need to move, but only ever if i want to move.

Young kids, huge debt, wonky house prices, unstable job, sellers/buyers umming and erring, house report looks dauting, no knowledge of buildings, yeah i see why people are stressed. Then the stress gets passed around in the form of uncertainty purchasing as well. Can't think straight so unable to contemplate anything...

If the house isn't part of some plan, it's just a fairly nice place to live, -expectations aren't extreme, it's affordable for you in all situations,
-just chill, it may happen, it may not.
If it isn't those things, then only have yourself to blame sorry.

Associate
Accepted an off on my flat today on the condition that the buying is a cash buyer and we don't form a chain. Not ideal but means it should put us in a strong position when we find somewhere we seriously like. Now just got to instruct a solicitor...

Man of Honour
I’m flirting with the idea of buying a new build, but it’s a bit crap because it won’t be finished until after the stamp duty holiday AND it means we’ll have to move into rented in the interim (if we sell to reserve) :/

Found a plot which we both sort of have our hearts set on, but they are often such a mixed bag... the biggest problems being overlooked gardens and small bedrooms. Oh, and far too many toilets / bathrooms!!

Soldato

Dreading the prospect of selling the house we love, then not having one to move into because we hadn't found one.

thanks

Sadly we missed out on a few at the start of 2020, mainly due to our house not being sold or even on the market :(

After lock down we made the hard decision to put our house up for sale as it puts us in a better position for a prospective purchase.

Basically, it needs done.

Soldato
Ah nuts. Just done a car insurance quote at the new house, which is literally 200 yards away. My insurance has gone from a quote of £298 to £522 - with the only difference being the address. :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Having a lengthy discussion with my wife tonight over the property we've offered on, had homebuyers survey on and waiting for answers to some of the questions. We're really concerned why the property has had loft conversion and an extension but then kind of left the rest of the house in a bit of a mess. Is it lack of funds and selling up or something more sinister.

We're very concerned over the asbestos guttering etc and wondering if the whole house could have asbestos and the reason why the rest of house is not done is simply cos they can't afford the asbestos removal costs.

I've never had anxiety but this house move has really broken me and the wife. We need out of our 2 bed flat and need more space but can't just move and know there could be 10s of thousands of repairs that would/could be known to us.

I want to do a full asbestos survey in the property now. Anyone know how much that will be. What would you do if it came back with the place riddled and it'd cost £30k to fix, ask seller to fix or reduce offer by £30k?

What to do mehhhhhh

Soldato
@Liquid_Entity Have you thought about moving in to a rental until something better comes up? It might also mean you can move to an area your unsure about to test the waters first too. I sold my first house to FTB and I moved in to the in laws until we found something (not for everyone I know). We spent about 2 months until we came across our new place and knew it was right for us as soon as we viewed it.

P.s A friend of mine around Cambridge has done a huge loft conversion and the downstairs was already extended. He can't afford to do the rest of the place up so it looks a bit odd with a very nice upstairs and a nice bit downstairs but the rest looks very run down. Could be the same situation with the house your looking at.

Associate
Having a lengthy discussion with my wife tonight over the property we've offered on, had homebuyers survey on and waiting for answers to some of the questions. We're really concerned why the property has had loft conversion and an extension but then kind of left the rest of the house in a bit of a mess. Is it lack of funds and selling up or something more sinister.

We're very concerned over the asbestos guttering etc and wondering if the whole house could have asbestos and the reason why the rest of house is not done is simply cos they can't afford the asbestos removal costs.

I've never had anxiety but this house move has really broken me and the wife. We need out of our 2 bed flat and need more space but can't just move and know there could be 10s of thousands of repairs that would/could be known to us.

I want to do a full asbestos survey in the property now. Anyone know how much that will be. What would you do if it came back with the place riddled and it'd cost £30k to fix, ask seller to fix or reduce offer by £30k?

What to do mehhhhhh

In a similar situation, kinda. Own a 2 bed flat and can't sell it as no one wants to live in flats right now. Decided to rent it out instead and buy a house with my partner. There's legal issues with the purchase which I'm not sure will get fully resolved. If it doesn't get fully resolved we may have to compromise as we are just totally fed up and drained living in a flat.

Our survey was pretty ok, few things but nothing major. Hope it works out for you.

Soldato
@Liquid_Entity Have you thought about moving in to a rental until something better comes up? It might also mean you can move to an area your unsure about to test the waters first too. I sold my first house to FTB and I moved in to the in laws until we found something (not for everyone I know). We spent about 2 months until we came across our new place and knew it was right for us as soon as we viewed it.

P.s A friend of mine around Cambridge has done a huge loft conversion and the downstairs was already extended. He can't afford to do the rest of the place up so it looks a bit odd with a very nice upstairs and a nice bit downstairs but the rest looks very run down. Could be the same situation with the house your looking at.

Unfortunately moving to rental is not an option as have 2 kids, first just started early years school and second is 4 months old. There are no rental homes within a budget (0 results for a 3 bed at £1000pcm) and moving in with my parents would really be trying on all of us. Especially with Covid too.

Going to book an asbestos test ASAP and at least put our minds at rest. It'll just be what next if its a bad report. Can't afford the cost and time to choose another. Already paid for 2 house surveys now and now this asbestos survey and the washing machine packed up last week so had to buy another.

Associate

What to do mehhhhhh

Don't fret too much over asbestos - guttering (like roofing) is easy to remove with less "paperwork" so to speak (so cheap) providing it is not being cut. If there is asbestos in the ceilings (as there likely is in any textured ceiling finish on a house pre-1990), then it's only a problem if you plan on removing the ceilings. If you want smooth, just skim over them. If you have to remove as part of larger works, you would be surprised with it not being a costly as you think.

The only other place you may get asbestos would be the adhesive for marley floor tiles, fire rope around fireplaces and some really old window cills (but I suspect not in a domestic property).

There are many reasons not to buy a house, but asbestos isn't one of them. Completely safe unless being cut or removed to facilitate other works and not as costly as everyone thinks to get dealt with properly.

Soldato
After delays on delays on exchange, we were meant to exchange yesterday and complete on 21st but an issue has been discovered. As part of my new mortgage agreement they want me to pay back a mortgage with them I don't even have lol!! So technically can't agree to the conditions to exchange. So now need to get this sorted, if I don't complete by Monday 21st, we get a £30k fine from the developer, so squeaky bum time right now.

Associate
I’m flirting with the idea of buying a new build, but it’s a bit crap because it won’t be finished until after the stamp duty holiday AND it means we’ll have to move into rented in the interim (if we sell to reserve) :/

Found a plot which we both sort of have our hearts set on, but they are often such a mixed bag... the biggest problems being overlooked gardens and small bedrooms. Oh, and far too many toilets / bathrooms!!

When we were looking we found new builds to have smaller rooms in general.

Associate

What to do mehhhhhh

Sounds like bad vibes, if it was me I'd be pulling out of it, go with your gut.

On the other hand you can get an asbestos survey completed for around £400. It will identify any ideas of asbestos and how it could be managed etc, but it wont be in massive detail.

Back
Top Bottom