Amazon Prime sucks massive donkey balls

Soldato
I had a delivery of 7 items, selection of 1/8" router cutters for CNC mill and set of ER11 collets. So guy knocks on door and says he needs ID - passport or photo driving license. I said that's garbage, I'm like 65 (obviously not under 18 lol) and this stuff shouldn't need it anyway - plus I have a paper driving license and my passport is buried in a drawer someplace. Oh no, guy insists one or the other is needed. I told him to take the lot and shove it in his... van. Went on Amazon Orders and cancelled the lot. I could maybe understand if it was a kitchen knife etc., in fact I had some of those delivered 6 months ago and the guy took one look at me and just handed them over, but nobody is going to go on the rampage with a 1/8" endmill.

Interesting. My mate said he had a delivery of Gillette razor blades yesterday and he was asked for ID too. His response was the same as yours. Must be a new thing as I've never been asked for ID when I've ordered anything from Amazon, including razor blades.

Associate
Interesting. My mate said he had a delivery of Gillette razor blades yesterday and he was asked for ID too. His response was the same as yours. Must be a new thing as I've never been asked for ID when I've ordered anything from Amazon, including razor blades.

When I looked at the cancelled orders turns out it was just one of the 6 different packs of router bits that was flagged as 'age restricted'. The other 5 could actually have been handed over without question. So who determines any particualr item is age restricted idk - not Amazon I think, so maybe the seller?

Man of Honour
In a strange turn of events, I tried to order 500 webcams and 2,000 headsets for work so people could do remote working, and those on-site could do teams meetings.

Tried all our usual suppliers, but the stock of what we wanted had all dried up.

So, I turned to Amazon. The first order I placed on our works account got rejected by the bank, so we had to clear it first with them. Amazon emailed to say everything had been cancelled.

I ordered it again, which also failed through Amazon fraud prevention team.

Tried on my personal account and it went through.

Then a couple of days later I started recieving parcels from the very first order I placed.

To cut a long story short, even though amazon had cancelled the orders and removed them from the accounts, they had charged us, and started the shipping process.

Looks like 1,500 webcams and 6,000 headsets are all coming over the next few days lol

Spoken to work, and we've decided to keep them all and will be deploying them.

Fortunately they are coming to my house, as now work has had had a positive covid case so we're all in lockdown for two weeks.

I'm just imagining what your neighbours are going to think.

ne0

ne0

Associate
Prime has been amazing for me. The other week I was building a rig in the morning and suddenly realised the aio I was gonna fit wasn't right for the case. I also needed a specific fan. Ordered both parts on my phone and I was unboxing them by 5pm the same day. That's just amazing tbh.

Caporegime
Amazon are becoming increasingly unreliable in my experience, items that should be delivered are coming late on a fairly frequent basis. They consistently ignore my safe place instructions as well which winds me right up. Leave it in the shed, its not difficult.

Soldato
In a strange turn of events, I tried to order 500 webcams and 2,000 headsets for work so people could do remote working, and those on-site could do teams meetings.

Tried all our usual suppliers, but the stock of what we wanted had all dried up.

So, I turned to Amazon. The first order I placed on our works account got rejected by the bank, so we had to clear it first with them. Amazon emailed to say everything had been cancelled.

I ordered it again, which also failed through Amazon fraud prevention team.

Tried on my personal account and it went through.

Then a couple of days later I started recieving parcels from the very first order I placed.

To cut a long story short, even though amazon had cancelled the orders and removed them from the accounts, they had charged us, and started the shipping process.

Looks like 1,500 webcams and 6,000 headsets are all coming over the next few days lol

Spoken to work, and we've decided to keep them all and will be deploying them.

Fortunately they are coming to my house, as now work has had had a positive covid case so we're all in lockdown for two weeks.

The delivery driver is either going to love you or hate you. I wonder if they get paid per item delivered or per stop.

Soldato
Amazon are becoming increasingly unreliable in my experience, items that should be delivered are coming late on a fairly frequent basis. They consistently ignore my safe place instructions as well which winds me right up. Leave it in the shed, its not difficult.

I’ve never had a missed delivery. Always seem to have deliveries later in the afternoon though.

Soldato
2 factor login amazon ...paypal

I don't currently use 2 factor to login to Amazon, but it would appear ebay/paypal are mandating this ?
will have to do some internet trawling later today, as do not have reliable phone connection

To meet new regulations, Strong Customer Authentication (SCA) is being added into the PayPal login.

This means that when you login or pay with PayPal, you may be asked for a one-time code that we send via SMS to the phone number you have registered in your profile.

To keep using your PayPal account without interruption, please check that the phone number in your profile is correct.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5...g-Customer-Authentication/td-p/2011104/page/4
My (very limited and uneducated !) understanding is that the Directive and/or UK Legislation specifically addresses the problem of customers with no phone access by requiring that an alternative solution must also be provided. Anyone know for sure and, more to the point, know how to raise this Paypal stupidity and apparent non-compliance with the appropriate regulatory body ? Companies various just assuming "everyone has a mobile in use 24/7" and making these kind of changes need to be seriously challenged and forced to stop knowingly preventing some customers from accessing services just to make life easy for themselves.

I can also confirm that attempting to raise the issue and find a solution with Customer (lack of) Support is a complete waste of time having tried ages ago and again recently. Soon it will no doubt be totally impossible for me to even contact Customer (lack of) Support due to not being able to get around the "you must have a working mobile phone in order to access Paypal" problem.

Soldato
2 factor login amazon ...paypal

I don't currently use 2 factor to login to Amazon, but it would appear ebay/paypal are mandating this ?
will have to do some internet trawling later today, as do not have reliable phone connection

Amazon let you use an Authenticator app - I use Google or Microsoft ones, depending on the account (home/work)

Associate
Amazon deliveries have left me rather puzzled recently. My dad was 84 this week, I'm 100+ miles away in a local lockdown situation. I order two bottles of plonk from Amazon, gift wrapped. One from me, the other on behalf of my brother who lives in the states. Two gift bag items, two persanlised messages. Both bottles are in the same singular gift bag, with both notes appended onto the same crappy bit of paper. Thanks amazon for that.

I order some bits and peices for the home office - same day delivery was offered. I elected it to help with the working week. Arrives 4 days late and the under desk cable tidy is missing the mounting bracket.

Order another part same day (to make up for the missing bracket) and turns up 2 days later.

Do I need things same day - perhaps not, but if you offer a service (covid or not) then atleast attempt to stick to it. They've had plenty of time to update listings if deliveries are elongated (for whatever reason).

Somewhat tempted to cancel my Prime and elect free shipping.

Soldato
Not sure what it is, but both Amazon and John Lewis have done the 'huge box, much packaging, little item' method recently. The plie was half of my height for two oven trays, a mug, a chocolate bar, utensil and two bowls.

I've also come to the end of my Prime Student membership too. It only allows for a maximum of four years. :(

Soldato
Well I'm going to buck the trend and actually praise Amazon, for a change.

I ordered a projector for Halloween, one of the ones that projects scenes on to a thin sheet in the window (I have small kids and they love it). Thought I'd bagged a bargain at just under £30.

A few days after my order I received an email from Amazon stating that they had investigated the seller (presumably from other complaints) and elected to remove them permanently from Amazon for failing to uphold orders or refunds. They also stated that they believe my order may also be part of this issue therefore had processed a refund automatically.

Sure enough, later that day I got the refund deposited into my account.

Although I'm annoyed that I'm not getting the product, I am happy that Amazon were proactive in my case rather than me needing to chase it.

Back
Top Bottom