• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Buying older Ryzen CPUs around 8th October

Associate
OP
No it went to £199 first then, just kind of hovered like that then fell off a cliff after Sept. You could get one for as low as £135 at one point around Oct/Nov time.

This is really interesting. It's been a long time since I built my own system so I'm really out of the loop Re how the market works.

Associate
OP
Doesn't bode well for similar happening at the start of October then.

I wouldn't hold my breath for massive previous generation price drops shortly after the 4000 launch.

Agreed. Also, the relativ weakness of Intel means that AMD doesn't really need to introduce vastly improved CPUs at the same price point, at least at the lower end of the market.

Associate
OP
Only positive you've got the Nov sales/Black Friday not long after launch this year, where as last year they were out in July, so that was 4 months away! :)

Just checked out when Black Friday is this year - Friday 27 November; about 2 and a half months, but I don't mind waiting - it will give me time to figure out what I want.

Associate
More time to read about Zen 3 performance as well, and make an informed decision on whether to go for the latest and greatest, or try to get a bargain on the "old" generation.

Soldato
Search on CamelCamelCamel and you can see the big dip and uptick for the R5 3600.

Managed to buy a 3600 for a friends system at £140 + game code and now it's trending towards £200.

Ryzen 9 3900X has dipped and leveled at -£100 discount so I upgraded my aging X99 system to that and I'm happy with it. Also sold my 1080 Ti (£250 cash + RX580) and now use the RX580 which is a bit painful but now I can wait and see what develops in the GPU arena.

Associate
Search on CamelCamelCamel and you can see the big dip and uptick for the R5 3600.

Managed to buy a 3600 for a friends system at £140 + game code and now it's trending towards £200.

Ryzen 9 3900X has dipped and leveled at -£100 discount so I upgraded my aging X99 system to that and I'm happy with it. Also sold my 1080 Ti (£250 cash + RX580) and now use the RX580 which is a bit painful but now I can wait and see what develops in the GPU arena.

Big old curve isn't it! I've got all the bits for my build apart from the CPU , Just waiting to see what the market does now. May pick something cheap up just to run it (and test the other components before their return window runs out!) It's a newer X570 board so "could" run the new 4000 series , but whether I go that route will depend on prices / stock availability I guess.

Caporegime
they will just follow suit like they always do . drop price till no stock then gone. then new chips just sit where the old ones did in the same sectors.

3600 should just go down to where the 2600 was.

Associate
they will just follow suit like they always do . drop price till no stock then gone. then new chips just sit where the old ones did in the same sectors.

3600 should just go down to where the 2600 was.

In theory then, Announcement is 8th October, would we be looking at placing orders then or maybe a few weeks later?

Associate
OP
Just waiting to see what the market does now. May pick something cheap up just to run it (and test the other components before their return window runs out!) ... whether I go that route will depend on prices / stock availability I guess.

I was thinking, as I'm not in a hurry, if I see good offers I could nab the deals as they occur, which is fine as long as everything works.

Soldato
Yeah it's inevitable that pricing of the 3000 series will come down, both on the new and the second hand market. I think the 4000 series will be too much of an improvement to miss out on though.

If you're on a budget perhaps get a 3000 chip to use temporary and then upgrade to 4000 in a year or two. I dont think staying on 3000 permanently for the next 5 years would make sense because things are progressing very quickly.

This is what I was thinking. If I gran a b550 and cheap 3600 from a well known social media page, then upgrade when 4x is readily available. Only thing holding me back is the fact my 4790k isn't even remotely struggling, despite being 5yrs old now.

Associate
This is what I was thinking. If I gran a b550 and cheap 3600 from a well known social media page, then upgrade when 4x is readily available. Only thing holding me back is the fact my 4790k isn't even remotely struggling, despite being 5yrs old now.

I've thought of buying a used CPU from FB/eBay , but don't fancy one with bent pins. Here is the only place i'd buy tbh.

Caporegime
Do you think? Don't offen see the 2600 offered these days but I think it's around £120/£130. The 3600 did go as low as £140 as bimbleuk said, but now is nudging £200

2600 went down to 100 quid. i think you will see 3600 before going out of stock or eol down to 120 or under. the only reason you see those 2600 for those prices is business keep a couple about last of stock or cant shift them and use them for tax reasons. so a component you would never buy and list it at £9000.

i dont see the point tbh in buying old tech unless its stupidly cheap as you will have a similar part ariving faster at similar price. especially if keeping for a few years.

Soldato
the only reason you see those 2600 for those prices is business keep a couple about last of stock or cant shift them and use them for tax reasons.

You do spout utter nonsense sometimes, the reason old CPU's are around is because a) they are still being made b) they maybe in certain BOM's needed for certain machines. c) Replacement parts etc.

Caporegime
You do spout utter nonsense sometimes, the reason old CPU's are around is because a) they are still being made b) they maybe in certain BOM's needed for certain machines. c) Replacement parts etc.

look you may not agree but it is true. often companies will keep a couple of old stock obviously for replacements but you will also see some priced stupidly silly. like £1000 yet it maybe a £100 part.

Back
Top Bottom